philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 55
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #811
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,249
Default

Steve, if you make it to the next swap, i'll have plenty of glosso for you to get started with.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #812
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Steve, if you make it to the next swap, i'll have plenty of glosso for you to get started with.
Thanks Bill! When is the next swap scheduled anyway? haha Oh and Bill...I think it was you that I read had more success with using the separated mulch in your emersed setup, is that correct? I separated out some of the MGOC to fine dirt particles to mineralize and then chunks of wood. I'm thinking I'll use the mineralized dirt for the glosso with some sand mixed in and use the wood chips for growing out the anubias.

Any thoughts?
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #813
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,249
Default

Sounds like you have a firm grasp on it. The mulch will be better for the anubias. Just tie them to arock and place it on top of the substrate. Just like amano does when he plants them. I think thinktank is the guy you should ask about growing carpet plants emersed. I can help better with anu ias and crypts. Just remeber with the anubias, keep humidity up. A decent sealing top should be sufficient. Something you can see through is ideal. That takes the temptation of opening it away and thus losing any humidity you have built up. Currently, my crypts are doing well in the 29 using a combo of hydroton, gravel, soil, forest moss and a misting sytem. I also have a juvie nana petite in there and all are flourishing @75 and 80% humidity.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #814
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,249
Default

Oh, i forgot, when using the mulch. You can add a dosing of fertilizer if you want. Better yet would be to add a sprinkling of clay or laterite first. The only thing they are going to need as far as ferts go is iron, and they can get it through flourish, clay or laterite.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #815
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
ThinkTank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 534
Default

I havent grown glosso but I have DHG and microswords. I regret not screening the bits of mulch out better. If I start another tray i'll use very fine dirt and sand just like you're planning. 1 inch deep is plenty, it'll spread better if the roots/runners go out instead of down -if that makes sense - seems true for my hairgrass at least.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #816
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,249
Default

breaking down the 55g in preparation of a bigger tank (hopefully a 75, right jimmy?LOL). but first i have to do a shrimp eviction, so i took all my plants out. anyone need anything before it goes back in??


baby crypts...how cute are these??
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #817
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Sounds like you have a firm grasp on it. The mulch will be better for the anubias. Just tie them to arock and place it on top of the substrate. Just like amano does when he plants them. I think thinktank is the guy you should ask about growing carpet plants emersed. I can help better with anu ias and crypts. Just remeber with the anubias, keep humidity up. A decent sealing top should be sufficient. Something you can see through is ideal. That takes the temptation of opening it away and thus losing any humidity you have built up. Currently, my crypts are doing well in the 29 using a combo of hydroton, gravel, soil, forest moss and a misting sytem. I also have a juvie nana petite in there and all are flourishing @75 and 80% humidity.
Thanks Bill! I've been checking out this thread and plan on setting up something similar/smaller http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...sed-setup.html Hopefully it turns out well.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #818
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Oh, i forgot, when using the mulch. You can add a dosing of fertilizer if you want. Better yet would be to add a sprinkling of clay or laterite first. The only thing they are going to need as far as ferts go is iron, and they can get it through flourish, clay or laterite.
I still have plenty of flourish Iron on hand, but where do you get your clay from? I've been to Michael's craft store and looked at their clay but I was hesitant to buy anything because it all looks so fancy and I don't know if it's 100% natural clay that would be safe for the aquarium.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #819
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,249
Default

i have seen that thread.....gatekeeper is the man! there are very few good journals about emersed set ups and this is one of them.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #820
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,249
Default

why the f do shrimp make you chase them around and around the tank to avoid the net, only to fight you even harder to get them OUT of the net??? this is going to take forever!!LOL
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #821
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
ThinkTank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
why the f do shrimp make you chase them around and around the tank to avoid the net, only to fight you even harder to get them OUT of the net??? this is going to take forever!!LOL
yeah - i hate it too. Last time I used a short hose and just siphoned them into a bucket - seemed to be a little easier than netting for me.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #822
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru
 
GitMoe's Avatar
 
PTrader: (39/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
yeah - i hate it too. Last time I used a short hose and just siphoned them into a bucket - seemed to be a little easier than netting for me.
+1

netting shrimp sucks. I also use the tiniest net. Makes it easier to get them out...
GitMoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #823
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
I still have plenty of flourish Iron on hand, but where do you get your clay from? I've been to Michael's craft store and looked at their clay but I was hesitant to buy anything because it all looks so fancy and I don't know if it's 100% natural clay that would be safe for the aquarium.
normally, the red clay is ok to use. otherwise, i think nurseries have clay. i have used laterite, most lfs have it.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #824
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 655
Default

Gotcha, thanks Bill. I'll search around for some clay next time I'm home. I'm likely just gonna do a small 5 gallon emersed setup with the glosso until I have some money to buy planters and some of that weed liner and set up something larger like maybe my empty 30 long for growing anubias.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #825
moonwasaloon
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 493
Default

Bill, you got to make a shrimp trap out of a used water bottle.

http://www.planetinverts.com/DIY_Shrimp_Trap.html
moonwasaloon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012