philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 183
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 07-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #2731
n25philly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I buy most of my plants from Aquarium Center, and their plant are as high quality as you are going to find. Pretty much everything I've bought grows like crazy in my soil based tank. Everyone once and a while something dies off but I think that's due to me buys plants that I want without doing any research on them.
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 08:12 PM   #2732
treben
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokster621 View Post
I have gone to Aquarium Center over the bridge in New Jersey for fish in the past. Not sure about their plants. Any recommendations about where to get plants and plant supplies?
Aquarium center has decent plants. Even petsmart has some good plants, just be sure to inspect them. You could always buy plants from people here on TPT as well. Make sure to choose plants that will do well in lower light levels.

Quote:
Do you think a short term DIY CO2 infusion would be enough to get started before I get fish in there?
Most fish give off a negligible amount of CO2 so they won't really help in that regard. Whatever CO2 method you choose you will want to stick with it to avoid algae issues and stunting your plants. If you start with DIY CO2 and then stop after a short while then you are cutting the carbon supply that the plants have gotten used to and this could cause them to stunt/melt/die etc. If you didn't want to go pressurized then excel may be an option. You could do DIY excel to keep the cost down for a tank that size. (Buy a gallon of metricide and mix to the correct strength using wet's glut calculator... ends up costing around $25 for a large supply.) You might be able to get away with no carbon supplementation as well, especially if you have mostly easy going plants.

Quote:
I have a ton of rocks to build with from a former cichlid tank--want some plants that will grow on rocks if tied to them.
Anubias, java fern, bolbitis, mosses, etc.

Quote:
I'm also open to recommendations on the best substrate combinations, and the best prices around here.
Some people use mineralized top soil with a sand or gravel cap. Personally, I like seachem flourite black with either a fluorite sand cap or more economically, black diamond blasting sand.
treben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #2733
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
I'm starting my first planted aquarium--I thought I knew things because I have had aquariums since I was a kid but this is a whole new world it seems.

I have gone to Aquarium Center over the bridge in New Jersey for fish in the past. Not sure about their plants. Any recommendations about where to get plants and plant supplies?

I just got a 75 gallon tank (48" wide rectangular) and am going to take a stab at planting it. The tank came with hood lighting with 2 Philips F40T12 bulbs (40 watt each). I want to do a low light low tech planted set up--based on my research that seems the best fit for me. Is this enough/the right kind of lighting? If not, what would you recommend?

Also, I have some great, strong filters. I have a Whisper 100 that needs tubing--do you think I need to set something like that up in addition to my Fluval 406? Do you think a short term DIY CO2 infusion would be enough to get started before I get fish in there?

I have a ton of rocks to build with from a former cichlid tank--want some plants that will grow on rocks if tied to them. I'm also open to recommendations on the best substrate combinations, and the best prices around here.

If anyone wants to trade anything with me (or offer a good price), I am game. I have a box of random misc filter and other supplies, including most (maybe all?) of the parts to a H.O.T. Magnum 250 and an Aqueon 55. I am also trying to sell a 30 gallon bow front tank w stand and open to selling a 15 gallon rectangular tank.

Thanks!!

Rokster

If you want some crypts to try on your tank, I can give you a dozen or so plants from my tank.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #2734
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Aquarium Ctr is also the best place for plants in the area.
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #2735
inclament
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Got some bolbitis and what I think is dwarf hygro if you're interested rokster. Otherwise I've Got a new setup and am in need of some plants! Anybody have cuttings to spare? Or maybe a few crypts (eh discusonly?)
Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #2736
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inclament View Post
Got some bolbitis and what I think is dwarf hygro if you're interested rokster. Otherwise I've Got a new setup and am in need of some plants! Anybody have cuttings to spare? Or maybe a few crypts (eh discusonly?)

I am always throwing out crypts. I am over in NJ but work in the city. It may be cheaper for you to just pay shipping and I'll drop it off over at USPS. I work across the street from the post office so not a big deal to drop it off.

Van
Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #2737
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Joe! You need more crypts?! Lol should have said something, I would have sent ya some a while ago lol

Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world ~ Nelson Mandela
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:44 AM   #2738
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Guys and gals, I'm selling my Marineland 90g tank with black trim and black wooden stand and black wooden cover for $200 in Philadelphia.

The tank is 1 year old and it has no scratches on it at all. I was extremely careful to use only the softest cloths when removing algae and both the tank and stand are in perfect condition.

Unfortunately I am not in Philadelphia (started medical school in Tennessee) and so I cannot show you the tank in person until Monday the 28th when my parents will go down and start moving out my boxes. So if you want to buy it please let me know and I'll let my parents know so they can be there to show/sell it to you.

This is what the tank looked like before I closed it down:

Zapins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #2739
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I saw this tank before it was shutdown...It looked fantastic with the plants, etc....

I talked to Zapins for 2 hours and kind of got to know him a little - he is careful with what he does...he pays attention to details - the dude is going to be a doctor - so if he says he was careful - he was...
I don't recall the stand- was that a store bought stand?

If there is anything else left, shoot me a p.m. or if it doesn't sell and your Dad needs a hand I can swing by and help him load it into the moving van.
midlife_hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #2740
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Thanks for the kind words! I think the stand is store bought, though I bought it from another hobbyist a while back so I am not totally sure. Either way it looks professionally made and is in good condition.

If nobody is interested I'll post it on craigslist. My girlfriend is going over to take pics of the tank and stand this week. So I can post pics of it if anyone is interested.

Also, thanks for the offer of help but I'm pretty sure it will sell at 200 on craigslist. The glass alone was 240 and thestand another 150, that plus the fact that it is in near mint conditon should move it pretty quickly. I just figured I'd give first dibs to people on the forum
Zapins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #2741
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

In thinking of liquidating this setup and starting new. All inclusive...what do you think it would be worth - fluval Osaka 320?
Fluval G6
Old 07-21-2014, 11:37 PM   #2742
jvo0410
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have over 30 downoi clippings for sale some have root structures. I don't want to throw them out so I'm selling for cheap.

$2 per clipping
10 for $15

jvo0410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #2743
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

I'll take 10 JV. PayPal and ship, or cash and pickup ? PM me if you prefer.
Fluval G6
Old 07-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #2744
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

NJAqua Barren- it may come down to how motivated you are to sell. I looked and that aquarium isn't offered anymore so you have a real collectors item....it's about 84 gallons so you could compare with similar 90 gallons setups

But from what I can see from images, this tank is acrylic(?) and has rounded corners - should jack the price up.....

Where did you get it from? US or overseas?

Bump: Nice tank by the way!!!!
One of these days I'll try to have a nice setup like yours and ZAPINS'.....

Right now I just go for the jungle look but I want to start trying a little harder for nice looking...
I'd love to jump on those Downoi crowns but I've killed those before.....Maybe down the road....
midlife_hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #2745
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default RAOK Recent Plant Trimmings - Some Red stems and Taiwan moss

Hey all, I just did a trim and have some nice red-pink plants, some Taiwan moss with riccia mixed up in it, and some random rotala stems of various health. Seriously, riccia is like tank herpes! Alternatively, if anyone wants to trade for some RCS's or low-grade culls, I am open to that. Pickup in Rittenhouse Square-University City-Shuylkill River Trail, or if you are near 95 between Philly and DE.

PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote