philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 140
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #2086
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Thanks for the Angels and Anubias Bill! I did a 20 minute acclimation on the angels when I got home and once I put them in the 75 they immediately starting schooling and swimming around. Really cool fish. Although I still plan to give these to my girlfriends Mom, they will be fun to watch for a couple weeks. What I really wanna grab is some pinoy angelfish. They are the ones with dark blues, greens, and black underlay. Problem is...they cost about $90 for a group of 6 after shipping
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #2087
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
Thanks for the Angels and Anubias Bill! I did a 20 minute acclimation on the angels when I got home and once I put them in the 75 they immediately starting schooling and swimming around. Really cool fish. Although I still plan to give these to my girlfriends Mom, they will be fun to watch for a couple weeks. What I really wanna grab is some pinoy angelfish. They are the ones with dark blues, greens, and black underlay. Problem is...they cost about $90 for a group of 6 after shipping
Hey, not a problem. Thanks for taking the angels and thanks for the bn's. They have settled in nicely i think if i were to do a true angel tank, it would have altum's in it. But they are about $40/fish, so i would have like 3.....lol
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #2088
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

now that summer is over and vacations are over, what do you guys/gals think about doing another swap meet?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #2089
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
now that summer is over and vacations are over, what do you guys/gals think about doing another swap meet?
You know I want to have one haha
Old 11-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #2090
chomper149
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

anyone happen to have a 55 gallon tank to spare?
Sold one i got for free because it looked like it had microcracks in it. Friend had a brand new one stored for me, until we realized today it had a small crack in the bottom.
So anyone have a 55 gallon? Id need to work out transport on a weekend to get it unless you could deliver it!
Like in university city near Penn university.
wood trim preferred!
Also anyone want some kribensis fry? got a bunch and more pop out every day
chomper149 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #2091
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper149 View Post
anyone happen to have a 55 gallon tank to spare?
Sold one i got for free because it looked like it had microcracks in it. Friend had a brand new one stored for me, until we realized today it had a small crack in the bottom.
So anyone have a 55 gallon? Id need to work out transport on a weekend to get it unless you could deliver it!
Like in university city near Penn university.
wood trim preferred!
Also anyone want some kribensis fry? got a bunch and more pop out every day
sorry, closest i have is a 40b, but it's a reptile tank, no good for fish so i guess that krib i gave you worked out? or did he/she croak?? lol
Old 11-09-2012, 04:34 AM   #2092
chomper149
Algae Grower

I never got a krib from you. I do remember having some kribs at the same time you offered yours though and also mentioned i had a few.
anyone happen to have starlight bushynose plecos also? i really want to keep them/ maybe attempt to breed eventually, anyone got experience?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #2093
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I never got a krib from you. I do remember having some kribs at the same time you offered yours though and also mentioned i had a few.
anyone happen to have starlight bushynose plecos also? i really want to keep them/ maybe attempt to breed eventually, anyone got experience?
I have experience breeding ancistrus, but not starlights. I've been told they need acidic water and it's hard to keep the fry alive. I'm also thinking they eat more meaty foods but I could be wrong.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #2094
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

sorry, i just remember giving fish away when i broke down my 125, i thought you were one of the guys.
good luck finding starlights, i've been looking for them for about a year. that pet place had some, 2 days before i got there. haven't seen them since, anywhere. i did hear, as Steve said, they are very difficult to breed.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:51 AM   #2095
chomper149
Algae Grower

No problem, and maybe if you still had them id take one, Think mine are too inbred, they have beautiful color and ocelli, maybe 30% of the males have popped out as super red males. But some of their faces are slightly messed up, like the lip on one side is crooked. This has happened on at least 4 of my current fry and im thinking its genetics and not fighting? not sure.
Originally thought it was from my filter, since my largest super red male and the biggest fish has it, but was pulled out of my xp3 filter which i thought damaged him. but now others have it, and they def didnt come from the filter.
But i did see the starlights at pet place for 9 bucks, of course out of stock. Thought they were going to be easier to breed. Me never having breed ancistrus, ill probably just start with the common browns.
gotta get a 55 to move fish around first though
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #2096
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
No problem, and maybe if you still had them id take one, Think mine are too inbred, they have beautiful color and ocelli, maybe 30% of the males have popped out as super red males. But some of their faces are slightly messed up, like the lip on one side is crooked. This has happened on at least 4 of my current fry and im thinking its genetics and not fighting? not sure.
Originally thought it was from my filter, since my largest super red male and the biggest fish has it, but was pulled out of my xp3 filter which i thought damaged him. but now others have it, and they def didnt come from the filter.
But i did see the starlights at pet place for 9 bucks, of course out of stock. Thought they were going to be easier to breed. Me never having breed ancistrus, ill probably just start with the common browns.
gotta get a 55 to move fish around first though
I've bred the common browns. I did both methods: artificial egg hatch and natural egg hatch. I think artificial hatch has its benefits, but if it's your first time then just let the male fan the eggs for a couple weeks. Raising the fry isn't hard but you gotta feed them tons of food and do water changes just like any other fish to make them grow faster.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #2097
chomper149
Algae Grower

Yeah i figured it wouldnt be to hard/ wanted to try something a little up from cichlids, as thats the most i have ever breed other than livebarriers like 10 years ago.
Even then i can only think of the convicts and kribs i bred successfully.
Was going to try possibly breeding angels in my 55, but decided i was going to get a few leopard ctenopoma. I miss my datnoids at school and wish i had something similar/ cant really find anything else for sale. Got 2 datnoids in a 120gallon at my house that i rarely get to see anymore. Biggest is almost 10 inches or so, gona need an upgrade soon.
But is a 20H big enough for a pair of BN plecos? I considered attempting corys, but figured id probably need a 20L instead of the high i already have. And any difference between the albinos and browns? or just the genes?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #2098
msjinkzd
Rachel O'Leary

PTrader: (204/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd

i am not very close, but have a 75g and stand available.
msjinkzd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #2099
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah i figured it wouldnt be to hard/ wanted to try something a little up from cichlids, as thats the most i have ever breed other than livebarriers like 10 years ago.
Even then i can only think of the convicts and kribs i bred successfully.
Was going to try possibly breeding angels in my 55, but decided i was going to get a few leopard ctenopoma. I miss my datnoids at school and wish i had something similar/ cant really find anything else for sale. Got 2 datnoids in a 120gallon at my house that i rarely get to see anymore. Biggest is almost 10 inches or so, gona need an upgrade soon.
But is a 20H big enough for a pair of BN plecos? I considered attempting corys, but figured id probably need a 20L instead of the high i already have. And any difference between the albinos and browns? or just the genes?
I would say yes, a 20H would be big enough for a pair of BN. No difference in breeding for the albinos.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #2100
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

ok.....i just had a lengthy conversation with the manager at worldwide pets on frankford and knorr. they are relocating, and while they are not advertising it, are selling off their tanks. $1/gallon. they had a drilled 40b for $40. gonna stop back next week and grab a tank or two. they only have them available as they are breaking them down. so it will be hit or miss.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.