philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 137
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #2041
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to joon

ye thats why i hate Chris brown
joon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #2042
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

well, i am all but finished the paludarium. i still have a few things left to do on it, but it's pretty much done. i posted pics in the local page. it just needs livestock now.

Steve, how's the 75 coming along? mine is an algae farm again
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #2043
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
well, i am all but finished the paludarium. i still have a few things left to do on it, but it's pretty much done. i posted pics in the local page. it just needs livestock now.

Steve, how's the 75 coming along? mine is an algae farm again
Well, I didn't want the BBA spreading to all my anubias, so I decided to try and get it under control before I start planting it. I took 95% of my water sprite and dwarf lettuce from my 30 gallon and threw it into the 75. I have 2 40watt bulbs over the tank 24/7 to let the water sprite take hold and suck all the nutrients out of the water, which was causing all the BBA. I haven't been home in 3 days, but I just took a look into my tank and it's working very well! The duckweed/dwarf lettuce spread across the entire surface of the water letting very minimal amounts of light through which is causing the BBA to slowly die off. I'm gonna hit it with another double dose of excel tomorrow. I'll prolly start tying anubias to the wood on wednesday, but I'll leave the floaters/water sprite covering the surface until I'm sure the BBA is under control.

I need to do a water change on all my tanks tomorrow. I'll prolly only get around to doing the water change on my breeding system, but that's where it's needed most. I prolly have about 200+ fish in the 2 40 breeders. But adding on the 55 gallon water drum and 50 gallon sump it's roughly a 175 gallon system that the fish are in. I have tons of java moss in with the guppies that also sucks out nitrates.
KingPlakat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #2044
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to joon

Steve ur aquarium system sounds interesting
i want to check them out this wed or thursday around 6:00pm
is it okay???
do u need some driftwoods? right???
i dont want to visit somebodys house emptyhanded
joon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #2045
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joon View Post
Steve ur aquarium system sounds interesting
i want to check them out this wed or thursday around 6:00pm
is it okay???
do u need some driftwoods? right???
i dont want to visit somebodys house emptyhanded
That's fine Jimmy. Just let me know which day you want to stop by because sometimes I randomly decide I want to drive to west chester to see my girlfriend haha. Remind me to give you a sample of repashy as well. I love the stuff. It would be great for your shrimp to feed from too since it stays together in a gel block.

Driftwood...yea I'm always looking for some good pieces haha. If you have anything in the 6-12inch range, that would be better since I already have a few large pieces that take up a lot of room in the 75. You get rid of your cherry shrimp jimmy?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #2046
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

yeah, where are all you guys with the cherry shrimp??before, we couldn't give them away, now nobody has them??? LOL
Old 10-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #2047
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
yeah, where are all you guys with the cherry shrimp??before, we couldn't give them away, now nobody has them??? LOL
I went from having only 20 or so wanting more, to having a population explode with around 100. Didn't do any water changes for awhile and the whole colony minus a couple just starting dropping like flies. I neglect the tank in my room too much.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #2048
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I did get to do a 75% water change on my system in the basement though. Tomorrow I'm gonna separate the males from the females so I don't get any unwanted breeding going on anymore. I'm gonna start selecting the breeding stock so the strain doesn't go to crap. I'm starting to notice a few that have the slightest bit of a blue shimmer to them in the light. Those will need to go indefinitely.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #2049
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
I did get to do a 75% water change on my system in the basement though. Tomorrow I'm gonna separate the males from the females so I don't get any unwanted breeding going on anymore. I'm gonna start selecting the breeding stock so the strain doesn't go to crap. I'm starting to notice a few that have the slightest bit of a blue shimmer to them in the light. Those will need to go indefinitely.
And dare i ask, what do you do with the culls? Shrimp are easy, plenty of fish eat em.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #2050
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

i've got some cherrys but they're not the best quality. I was throwing the culls in my other tanks as feeders....now I have colonies in all my tanks.

They're even breeding in my goldfish tank (8"+ comets). The fish ignore them unless the shrimp swim right in front of them. Even then, most manage to get away before being goobled.

I think of it as them wandering into traffic and getting hit by a bus.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #2051
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
And dare i ask, what do you do with the culls? Shrimp are easy, plenty of fish eat em.
They'll get thrown into my 30 planted or 75 gallon anubias tank. Might as well keep them around to look nice in my planted tanks just in case someone comes by looking to buy something and wants to buy some fish for their kids.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #2052
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
i've got some cherrys but they're not the best quality. I was throwing the culls in my other tanks as feeders....now I have colonies in all my tanks.

They're even breeding in my goldfish tank (8"+ comets). The fish ignore them unless the shrimp swim right in front of them. Even then, most manage to get away before being goobled.

I think of it as them wandering into traffic and getting hit by a bus.
getting hit by a bus.....i got a good chuckle out of that!!LOL
Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #2053
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Steve, how are those bn's coming along? I'm ready for them whenever you are. And dan, if you need to get rid of any culls, let me know.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:36 AM   #2054
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

anyone want some angels? my wife has decided that she wants to see her fish actually swim around. at least something other than her angel fish. these guys have been bullying everything in the tank since day one. (took a lot for me not to say " I TOLD YOU SO!!) so i need to find them a new home. they are 5 chocolate angels. all between half dollar and silver dollar (the real ones, with Ike, not the indian chick). ya want 'em? come and get 'em. i'll pretty much take anything in trade or you can just have them. i just need them in a new home. i'll post a pick of them tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #2055
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
. all between half dollar and silver dollar (the real ones, with Ike, not the indian chick). .

you made me smile with that.....I know what a real silver dollar looks like!! I'll share that line with my Dad, he'll get kick out of the "not the indian chick" one....
midlife_hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.