philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 134
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #1996
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

oh come on, the eagles played awesome!! (if you are a giants or cowboys fan...LOL)

it has been awfully quiet in here lately, i guess no one has any projects going on????
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 PM   #1997
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
oh come on, the eagles played awesome!! (if you are a giants or cowboys fan...LOL)

it has been awfully quiet in here lately, i guess no one has any projects going on????
Lots of projects haha...that's why no one has time to post I guess haha. I'm gonna order poret foam in the next couple days for my 2 40 breeders. That completely solves the problem of having any fry sucked down the overflows and eliminates any clogged overflow pipe.

I rebuilt my rack once again so I had enough room to put the 3ft acrylic tank (50 gal) I got from Joe on the bottom to use as a sump tank. It's only a sump tank in the sense that water will be pumping from it up to the main tank but most, if not all filtration will come from the poret foam in the 40 breeders before draining down the overflows. Seems like a waste to just use the sump as a water holding tank, but for $20 it will do a hell of a job. Plus it leaves things open in the future if I do want to stick some anubias down there or add a couple more foam partitions and actually stick some fish down there if need be.

I wanna actually finish everything so I can take pictures or have you guys come hang out for a swap meet or something. I'm at the point where I need to start selling some black moscow's haha...all the fry are juveniles now and the tanks looked super stocked.

Oh...and I still haven't finished my 75 yet. I'll never have my anubias paradise complete it seems haha
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #1998
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just replaced a broken pane of glass on one of my 30 gallons...couldn't salvage the trim though. All in all I think I did a pretty good job. I think I'll be turning it into a sump tank for my 75 gallon tank, but only time will tell. Tonight's the night I let my circulating system run overnight. Up until now I've been scared something would go wrong but it's been running for a few hours now and it's staying constantly level. All I need to do now is order the poret foam, stick it in the two 40 breeders and call it a finished project haha

Tomorrow I work on the 75. I have about 6 large pieces of driftwood to work with and a few smaller pieces. I'm gonna gonna set up the wood the way I want it, take a picture, then one by one start tying anubias on each one until the wood is about 50% covered (or until I run out) so that there's some room for growth. I'm gonna take my pair of brown ancistrus out of the 75 and move them into the sump and see if I can get another clutch. I think I'm actually going to keep them out of the 75 for good so they don't knock the anubias off the wood. Their babies can stay for now until they get larger.

Next week I'll actually get my planted tank in check...my cherry shrimp are just dying. I don't know why, but the whole tank is a mess. It went wild in a bad way....too much duckweed and dwarf lettuce. The water sprite is growing on top of everything, and I can barely see the plants in the back of my tank. Gonna have to rescape the whole thing with just a few pieces of anubias and mostly chain sword to keep the jungle look, but get rid of most of the duckweed, dwarf lettuce, and water sprite so it doesn't look so dimly lit.

Oh and one more thing....I've had this 2.5 gallon tank that's been sitting in my basement that got overrun with scuds so I just let the dwarf sag and microsword die off. The scuds are still doing extremely well though. Thought about it for a second and realized it would be a great idea to actually give the scuds a bigger tank of their own and raise them as a live food for my guppies and SAE's. So I'll prolly just grab a 10 gallon, throw in some java moss and a little air driven filter and feed them twice a week and call it a day. Instant fish food haha. I'm also gonna grab a white worm culture from Pete Mang up in NY once the temps get cool enough to ship them. White worms are a great food source for most fish and they're really easy to maintain. I'd be happy to hook anyone up with a starter culture once I get mine.

Thanks for reading my blog! Hahaha
Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #1999
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Wow.....when did you become such a chatty cathy?? Lol that's a lot of work you got going on there. And your shrimp are dying because your plants are killing your water chemistry. Yes, even rcs can be killed.....lol sounds like you're on a roll though. Post some pics of the setup!!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #2000
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll post pics once the poret foam get here. Just ordered two 19.5 x 19.5 x 2 inch pieces for the 40 breeders (I may have to trim them) and 64oz of repashy superfood gel. It's way more food than I need, but I wanted the 16oz pack which was $30, but for $30 more I grabbed the 64oz because the price per ounce is so much cheaper with the biggest size. So who wants to buy some off me? haha I'd be happy to give out some samples to the locals. It's easy to prepare the food, just add 1 part powder to 3 parts boiling water and presto...you get gelatin food that won't cloud the water or get sucked into the filter haha

Time to go work on the 75 anubias paradise
Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #2001
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

buy some food? i don't even have fish!!LOL everything i put in the 75 dies. i have the co2 at almost 0, fertilize a portion of what i used to, have high flow rates, and i STILL cannot kill the brown hair algae living in the tank. i pick uo a few fish from petsmart yesterday and most of them died. although, on further inspection, they were diseased, so i yanked all of them out and had to euthanize them. poor little suckers. btw...stay away from petsmart near chickies on the blvd. that's where i got the fish. they looked ok when i bought them, but my neons all tuned white within a couple hours and started croaking off one by one. tell ya what though steve, if you're ever in my area again, i could use some abn for another tank.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #2002
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
buy some food? i don't even have fish!!LOL everything i put in the 75 dies. i have the co2 at almost 0, fertilize a portion of what i used to, have high flow rates, and i STILL cannot kill the brown hair algae living in the tank. i pick uo a few fish from petsmart yesterday and most of them died. although, on further inspection, they were diseased, so i yanked all of them out and had to euthanize them. poor little suckers. btw...stay away from petsmart near chickies on the blvd. that's where i got the fish. they looked ok when i bought them, but my neons all tuned white within a couple hours and started croaking off one by one. tell ya what though steve, if you're ever in my area again, i could use some abn for another tank.
Albino bristlenose? Don't have any of those lol I have browns and L144's. I work in southwest philly now but I could always drop some off to your wife in the future.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #2003
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
Albino bristlenose? Don't have any of those lol I have browns and L144's. I work in southwest philly now but I could always drop some off to your wife in the future.
browns work. i actually prefer them...lol for some reason i just thought you had albino's.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #2004
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
browns work. i actually prefer them...lol for some reason i just thought you had albino's.
How big is the tank their going in? The little ones I have will likely get lost in something big. These things take forever to grow I swear haha I could obviously do water changes to speed up their growth, but I'm lazy these days. I need to plumb a drain line into my system. That will make me more inclined to do a huge water change once a week.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #2005
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
How big is the tank their going in? The little ones I have will likely get lost in something big. These things take forever to grow I swear haha I could obviously do water changes to speed up their growth, but I'm lazy these days. I need to plumb a drain line into my system. That will make me more inclined to do a huge water change once a week.
They are going to go into my 125 paludarium. It's only going to have about 20 gallons of usable swimming space, but about 60 gallons of volume. Check my weekend warrior build thread in the riparium section and you'll get the idea
Old 10-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #2006
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
They are going to go into my 125 paludarium. It's only going to have about 20 gallons of usable swimming space, but about 60 gallons of volume. Check my weekend warrior build thread in the riparium section and you'll get the idea
I checked it out. I hope it all comes together the way you want it to The plecos I have right now are still small, less than an inch. Do you want them now or when the paludarium is done?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #2007
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I checked it out. I hope it all comes together the way you want it to The plecos I have right now are still small, less than an inch. Do you want them now or when the paludarium is done?
oh, not for a few weeks. after it's done. i'm gonna run my filter on another tank for a week or two so i can cycle it quick, then toss the fish in. i think i'm gonna go with cherry shrimp and the bristlenose. it's gonna be blackwater, so i think the rcs will show through the tea color....lol
Old 10-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #2008
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
oh, not for a few weeks. after it's done. i'm gonna run my filter on another tank for a week or two so i can cycle it quick, then toss the fish in. i think i'm gonna go with cherry shrimp and the bristlenose. it's gonna be blackwater, so i think the rcs will show through the tea color....lol
Sounds good...hopefully their an inch by then because that's a pretty good size to introduce them in any size tank haha
Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #2009
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

that paludarium looks NICE!!! Cant wait to see it when its finished/ stocked,etc...
midlife_hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #2010
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife_hobbyist View Post
that paludarium looks NICE!!! Cant wait to see it when its finished/ stocked,etc...
thanks Bubba i'm gonna call ya bubba, because it's easier than typing the whole name out...lol it's gonna take a few weeks, but it will get there. and if my 75 doesn't come around soon, it too will become a paludarium.....lol