philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 127
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #1891
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joon View Post
HAHA i moved out from my parents house
5mins away from sugarhouse and penslanding drinking every night :P
i visit my fishroom once a week and do waterchange stuff
i can see my inventory getting bigger
now i have about 20 indians 30 tigers 50 crs 50 snowball 100 yellow for trade (1/2inch ~ berried mix
i want to trade them with cories good strain guppies and plants later

i put 2 yellows and 9 oebt in 55gal tank few months ago, now i see over 100 yellows and about 18 oebt lol







oops ... i have empty tanks ... my fishroom is closed until i come back home
Are those PRL? Nice.. look like you got it going now.
__________________
Van
discusonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 PM   #1892
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
joon's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 847
Send a message via MSN to joon
Default

mines are regular CRS from kangshiang


Master VAN
if i want to start a tank with 8~10 discus in living room,
is 50gal tank enough or should i go with 75gal?
i can use eheim 2217 and a heater

and are u selling discus fry too???
joon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #1893
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joon View Post
mines are regular CRS from kangshiang


Master VAN
if i want to start a tank with 8~10 discus in living room,
is 50gal tank enough or should i go with 75gal?
i can use eheim 2217 and a heater

and are u selling discus fry too???
Those are very nice for not being PRL.

What size discus?
What's the dimension of the tank?
You are better off using HOB filter such as Aquaclear and add 1-2 sponge filter.
Are you going to have substrate?
Planted?

I don't currently have any discus fry but in the process of putting the pairs back together and let them spawn again. I am not really into breeding them anymore except for request. I've shut down and converted a few of my discus tanks into CRS.

If you are going to get into discus, be prepare to do daily water changes unless you are get adults.
__________________
Van
discusonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 AM   #1894
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 462
Default

drools...
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #1895
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,268
Default

jimmy, you have regular tigers?
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #1896
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,268
Default

ya know, i thought i heard crickets chirping in here, then i just realized it was my frog tank instead...lol
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:41 PM   #1897
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusonly View Post
Those are very nice for not being PRL.

What size discus?
What's the dimension of the tank?
You are better off using HOB filter such as Aquaclear and add 1-2 sponge filter.
Are you going to have substrate?
Planted?
Van, i am curious as to why you say an HOB or sponge filter are better. is it because they oxygenate the water better than a canister? and if so, can he use the eheim and just add a gimmicky bubble wall or something?
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #1898
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
ya know, i thought i heard crickets chirping in here, then i just realized it was my frog tank instead...lol
It's upsetting how dead this forum is sometimes haha...I'm about to PM rachel and see if she can meet me somewhere in philly this friday. I really want some pygmy cories and saving 15 on shipping would be great.

The next question is....15 or 20 cories? I know the larger the shoal the better they school, but you think the difference between 15 and 20 will be noticable?
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #1899
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,268
Default

depends on the size of the tank really. obviously, in a 75g, you wouldn't notice a 5 fish difference, but in a 40, i think you would.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #1900
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
depends on the size of the tank really. obviously, in a 75g, you wouldn't notice a 5 fish difference, but in a 40, i think you would.
True...they'll likely go in either my 30 or one of the 40 breeders. I don't want to put them in the 75 because I feel like the SAE might pick on them and eat any eggs/babies that might come about. Plus feeding them in a 30 or 40 will be much easier because they'll be with guppies eating any leftover BBS or detritus.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #1901
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,268
Default

i would definitely go for 20. in fact, i don't buy any schooling fish in less than groups of 20 normally. but remember, i have mostly big tanks....lol
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #1902
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Van, i am curious as to why you say an HOB or sponge filter are better. is it because they oxygenate the water better than a canister? and if so, can he use the eheim and just add a gimmicky bubble wall or something?
Bill,

A couple of reasons.

1. HOB such as the aquaclear has a lot of space for biomedia and they are relatively cheap.
2. They are easy to stop/start. Most discus keeper changes at least 50% of the tank water daily so when using a cannister filter, it's a PITA to restart.
3. What you don't see isn't necesarrily not there. Cannister filters are usually neglected most often (as far as cleaning goes). With a HOB filter, the sponge can be taken out a rinse quite easily without taking things apart. With a cannister, take it part enough and the seal rings will need replacing.
4. Sponge filter are great bio filter. Discus keeper don't care for the mechanical filtering because poop are vac up during water changes. With extra sponge filter, one can set up a QT or hospital tank by moving established sponge to the tank.
__________________
Van
discusonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #1903
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
ya know, i thought i heard crickets chirping in here, then i just realized it was my frog tank instead...lol

Between work and getting ready to start another rehab project, there isn't enough hours in a day.
__________________
Van
discusonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #1904
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
joon's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 847
Send a message via MSN to joon
Default

i bred tigers however half of them have no stirpes lol

Steven u missed that fish place's 30% sale

they were selling $.70 each
joon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:18 AM   #1905
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joon View Post
i bred tigers however half of them have no stirpes lol

Steven u missed that fish place's 30% sale

they were selling $.70 each
Those B*******! I specifically signed up to have them email me when they got more pygmy's in stock. At $.70 each I would have bought everything they had!
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012