philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 126
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #1876
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Fishies in Philly,
The 20L you're taking down....what do you have them sitting on ? I might be in the market place looking for a stand....
Cant decide what i want to do next....I want more tanks setup but starting to get worried aout electric bill and humidity in the house over the winter....
midlife_hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #1877
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife_hobbyist View Post
Fishies in Philly,
The 20L you're taking down....what do you have them sitting on ? I might be in the market place looking for a stand....
Cant decide what i want to do next....I want more tanks setup but starting to get worried aout electric bill and humidity in the house over the winter....
oh,sorry,maybe i didn't phrase it properly.i'm keeping the tanks and using them for something else. so i will need the stand. how many tanks are you looking to add? i may have a couple i can throw to ya. as far as humidity goes, you have a couple options. 1) exhaust fan (if possible) 2) dehumidifier (just remember to empty if often) 3) keep glass lids on all your tanks or 4) don't add more tanks....lol but really, when i was running 6 tanks, all open top, my relative humidity in my basement/fish/frog room, was only about 60%
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #1878
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

oh, the other thing, electric. the most power consuming items you are gonna have with multiple tanks are the lights. the pumps and heaters really don't consume as much as you would think. i once read an article about a guy who has a separate service for his fish room. 30 or so shrimp tanks, and his electric bill was never more than $30/month. granted, he was running sponge filters, but those heavy duty air pumps can draw quite a bit of power.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #1879
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
yay! thanks to steve, i have not one, but 2 viquarium setups! now i can build a home for fire bellied toads and something else. and i was wondering what to with those 20 longs i was gonna take down. any suggestions on a critter for tank 2?
Trying to think of an animal for the second tank sparked my memory. Does anyone has toads around there house? I saw in a video that a guy uses a toad in his fish room to control the insects/spiders, etc. Been looking for toads ever since to throw down in my basement to control the spider population because I'm gonna be moving down there soon and make it my new bedroom haha
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #1880
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

really? i can understand the flying insects, but i don't mind the spiders, they eat the creepy crawlies that i don't like. but then again, my tanks are in an unfinished basement, so you expect to see spider webs. i would LOVE to have an orb weaver living in the basement. goodbye flies and mosquitoes!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #1881
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
oh, the other thing, electric. the most power consuming items you are gonna have with multiple tanks are the lights. the pumps and heaters really don't consume as much as you would think. i once read an article about a guy who has a separate service for his fish room. 30 or so shrimp tanks, and his electric bill was never more than $30/month. granted, he was running sponge filters, but those heavy duty air pumps can draw quite a bit of power.

Well that really depends on how warm you are keeping the tanks. Heaters is the source of my high electric bill in the winter. You can run an air pump that will run 15-20 tanks only using 26 watts. If the shrimp tanks didn't have heater, it cost very little to keep them running.

Dehumidifier actually uses a lot of energy but almost a must if you are going to have a lot of water in a small space.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #1882
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

Thanks for the advice. I have gas hot air heat so humidity is only a small worry....the house tends to be buttoned up all the time thru the winter and last thing i want is a mold mildew problem...I cant say my electricity has moved much since I set up my tanks...cant really tell....
My real fear is that i'll get 3 more tanks set up and then lose interest....but i dont really see that happening
Old 08-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #1883
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

try to make a long story short...i bought a 55 on craiglist with 7 yellow labs and 2 giant danios...Really good looking fish but not MY fish but i still like them....I had wanted a cichlid tank with a bunch of smaller malawi cichlids that with numbers would stunt them growing too quick...so now I like the ones I got and cant decide to keep or get rid of....

In prep for getting this other guys fish, i set up a 20L to start cycling and ended up stocking it with with community fish...
the yellow labs bred, so now I have 15-20 fry that are a week old in a 5 gallon....

I discovered LIVE plants and shrimps so I also want to set up a 20 planted tank (or two)
So many cool looking fishies out there.....beginning to think i have ADD.....
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #1884
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

OK.... I know I'm completely out of the loop at this point but. I really need to clear a ton of space in my house. Here are some things Im trying to get rid of and pricing...

2 - 30 breeder tanks drilled $10 each

2 - 20L tanks drilled $5 each

20L derimmed tank with custom stand, lily pipes, EHEIM, and Manzy $150

40 breeder tank with 304 filter, heater, and rim hanging breeder box with Ody 36" light $100

2 - 10 gal tanks $5 each

Marina Cubus $5

2.5 gal derimmed tank with light and nano HOB filter $40

55 gal standard tank with missing top rim. Bob gave me this tank so Im passing the favor along $FREE

50 gal acrylic tank (it's got TONS of scratches but would make awesome emersed or breeder tank $20

Up Aqua adjustable pressure regulator with solenoid and needle valve (new) $75

Plus the million other odds and ends you guys know I have. Please try to send me an email if interested in anything. I can provide pics of anything. Im looking to blow out everything ASAP. email: scion.joe@gmail.com

I MIGHT be convinced to sell my mated Discus pair as Im considering turning my main tank into a shell dweller tank. They keep spawning about once every 3 weeks now. None of the babies have survived though. My Black Skirt Tetras are fed well now...

Also, as I mentioned before I would be willing to trade for a chest freezer or fridge. Especially if you'd deliver the freezer/fridge. I'll work a CRAZY deal for that scenario. Chest freezer preferred...
GitMoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #1885
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
OK.... I know I'm completely out of the loop at this point but. I really need to clear a ton of space in my house. Here are some things Im trying to get rid of and pricing...

2 - 30 breeder tanks drilled $10 each

2 - 20L tanks drilled $5 each

20L derimmed tank with custom stand, lily pipes, EHEIM, and Manzy $150

40 breeder tank with 304 filter, heater, and rim hanging breeder box with Ody 36" light $100

2 - 10 gal tanks $5 each

Marina Cubus $5

2.5 gal derimmed tank with light and nano HOB filter $40

55 gal standard tank with missing top rim. Bob gave me this tank so Im passing the favor along $FREE

50 gal acrylic tank (it's got TONS of scratches but would make awesome emersed or breeder tank $20

Up Aqua adjustable pressure regulator with solenoid and needle valve (new) $75

Plus the million other odds and ends you guys know I have. Please try to send me an email if interested in anything. I can provide pics of anything. Im looking to blow out everything ASAP. email: scion.joe@gmail.com

I MIGHT be convinced to sell my mated Discus pair as Im considering turning my main tank into a shell dweller tank. They keep spawning about once every 3 weeks now. None of the babies have survived though. My Black Skirt Tetras are fed well now...

Also, as I mentioned before I would be willing to trade for a chest freezer or fridge. Especially if you'd deliver the freezer/fridge. I'll work a CRAZY deal for that scenario. Chest freezer preferred...
I call the 30 gallon drilled tanks, 20 gallon drilled tanks, and I'm really thinking about the 40 gallon setup since it has that light that I could really use haha...I'll text you now Joe!
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #1886
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Anyone have a 75 w/stand they're looking to get rid of? maybe a 90. Something no more that 48" long.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #1887
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

i was gonna jump on that 50 acrylic for a grow tank, but one of my customers walked into my shop with a 40b amphibian tank. ya know the kind that take the slide on screen? so, i guess the question now is, anyone need a 20L or two? midlife, i might be giving up the stand as well. it's just a bunch of 2x4's screwed together, but it is effective. lol
Old 08-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #1888
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Quote:
i was gonna jump on that 50 acrylic for a grow tank, but one of my customers walked into my shop with a 40b amphibian tank. ya know the kind that take the slide on screen? so, i guess the question now is, anyone need a 20L or two? midlife, i might be giving up the stand as well. it's just a bunch of 2x4's screwed together, but it is effective. lol
Laaaaaame... lol. Wish I had time for my tanks still. Can't even begin to explain how busy I am these days.
GitMoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #1889
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

Fishies,
My plans are back on hold again....I'm still not sure what I want to do (other than set up a hundred tanks)....Thanks for keeping me in mind.

Decisions, decisions.....
Old 08-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #1890
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to joon

HAHA i moved out from my parents house
5mins away from sugarhouse and penslanding so i drink every night :P
i visit my fishroom once a week and do waterchange stuff
i can see my inventory getting bigger
now i have about 20 indians 30 tigers 50 crs 50 snowball 100 yellow for trade (1/2inch ~ berried mix
i want to trade them with cories good strain guppies and plants later

i put 2 yellows and 9 oebt in 55gal tank few months ago, now i see over 100 yellows and about 18 oebt lol

oops ... i have empty tanks ... my fishroom is closed until i come back home
joon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.