philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 115
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 07-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #1711
swissian
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Don't have any to sell, but check with gitmoe. He's been m.i a. for a bit, but he may answer a pm. If he doesn't, let me know and i'll text him. Shrimp all depends on what you want. See discusonly for crs. For any other breed, see joon.
Thanks for the tips!
swissian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #1712
chomper149
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
Forgot to mention...after my interview I drove to the airport to collect some driftwood and low and behold I find tons of jungle val washed up on the banks roots and all. Didn't plan on finding it there so I didn't have a bucket or bag but I grabbed like 10 plants or so worth and planted them in the 5.5 gallon John gave me. I expect them to melt, but I just kinda wanna see how fast they grow outdoors.

Note to self- Bring hacksaw with me next time I go looking for driftwood. I found 3 or 4 average pieces, but all the good stuff was HUGE fallen trees with massive roots. Could have cut some nice pieces off the root mass had I brought a saw with me, but I guess I'll just go back later on.
i had no idea there was places to collect wood around philly. are you not scared of all the pollutants or anything from the plans, even antifreeze being in the water system?
chomper149 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #1713
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tendertouche401 View Post
Mr.Coach...are you upset at me
I PM'd you but you never returned my PM..

Hope all is well...

P-
oh crap!! i read it at work and forgot about it. check your inbox later. i'm in the middle of about 200g worth of water changes....lol
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #1714
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomper149 View Post
i had no idea there was places to collect wood around philly. are you not scared of all the pollutants or anything from the plans, even antifreeze being in the water system?
believe it or not, compared to many other river systems, the delaware is a clean river. trust me, i spend quite a bit of time on the delaware. now the schukyll. that's a different story. reading likes to dump their waste in it and sends it down to us. as far as antifreeze goes, whether it be ethylene glycol (green) or the silicon based coolant (dexcool) you would literally need a massive tanker ship full of it to spill to create a problem large enough to affect our tanks.

local plants in the rivers are plentiful, and some of them decent. i just quarantine anything i bring back from the river. today i collected a nice jungle val while reeling in a 12lb channel cat. serious multitasking there...lol i also collected a couple other plants and some moss. it's the second time i collected moss, curious to see if it is a different species or not.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:27 AM   #1715
chomper149
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

we should set up a fishing trip or a collecting trip or something. Grew up around here and had no idea the delaware was clean, figured it was just as bad as the schukyll. Grew up 5 minutes from valleyforge park, all i see are those polluted water warnings
chomper149 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #1716
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

I saw those polluted water signs too when i went to valley forge to collect wood...so I didnt bring anything back with me. Got a couple pieces of what looks to be slate from the woods though.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #1717
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
I saw those polluted water signs too when i went to valley forge to collect wood...so I didnt bring anything back with me. Got a couple pieces of what looks to be slate from the woods though.
that's because valley forge backs up to the schukyll. That is one nasty river. Last year, reading had problems after a major storm hit and they were diverting 50,000 gallons of waste per day down the schukyll. Remember, Philly, bristol and trenton are really the only major cities on the delaware. Go north above new hope and the Delaware is like a whole other world.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #1718
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You think they have cleanup crews that walk the shores of the Delaware? Thinking back, I didn't see near as many bottles and garbage as I would have thought were would be...could have just been focused on the wood though haha. I'm gonna wait for a storm or at least a heavy rain before I go back looking for more driftwood. Anyone have a link to the low tide/high tide times?

On another note. Went to petco and bought another 40 gallon breeder for 40 bucks. Also got a large piece of mopani for $10 (the price for a medium piece) Regularly $30. Wonder how that happened? hehehe
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #1719
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

I just have a tide app for my phone. Makes my fishing life easier......lol i wish i had time for another tank. Well, time and room. Lol actually thinking about getting rid of a tank or two.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #1720
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea...the two 40 breeders will be replacing 2 20 longs. So I'm going to have the same number of tanks set up on my rack, just using the space a little better and putting more gallons into the system I plan on setting up.

Gonna go drain a tank, move some fish, then stick the 40 gallon in it's place and refill. I hate waiting for the water to reach 78 degree haha...it comes out of my hose at 65 or so and even with 3 heaters it takes at least a couple hours to get up to temp before I can put fish in. I guess I'll do what I was thinking after I set up the first one. I'll fill it with hose water 3/4 of the way and then get super hot water from my bathtub in 5 gallon buckets for the rest and hopefully cut the heating time down to an hour.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #1721
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Well I made it back from Seattle. That place is beautifull. So where is this outlet in bensalem?
Btw steve i have not seen them plecos since I released them I think they were a quick snack for the black skirts. But when u get some a little bigger I would love a few.
Jimmy we have to meet up some time I would love some more cpo's. I have 2 left, the other 2 found a way out of the tank and are cat food I think. Just lmk what u want for them.
Glad the 5.5 came out looking good. Hopefully I didn't scratch it up to bad or destroy the silicone.
So what else did I miss while I was away?

Last edited by jreich; 07-17-2012 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: duh...
jreich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 12:31 AM   #1722
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
Well I made it back from Seattle. That place is beautifull. So where is this outlet in bensalem?
right next to diamond furniture. a little east of texas roadhouse.

Quote:
not a gosh darned thing!!!LOL
Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #1723
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

On street rd?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #1724
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Btw steve i have not seen them plecos since I released them I think they were a quick snack for the black skirts. But when u get some a little bigger I would love a few.
Jimmy we have to meet up some time I would love some more cpo's. I have 2 left, the other 2 found a way out of the tank and are cat food I think. Just lmk what u want for them.
Glad the 5.5 came out looking good. Hopefully I didn't scratch it up to bad or destroy the silicone.
Hmm...maybe they got sucked into the filter intake? Didn't think those black skirts were big enough to eat em haha. Anyway...I'll hook you up with some more bigger ones in a week or two. I need to attach the breeder box they're in to a 10 gallon tank or something and do twice weekly water changes so they grow faster! I'm feeding them repashy superfoods now though You'd be surprised how much they can actually eat overnight. I toss in a chunk expecting them to eat a third of it and the next morning its completely gone and a bunch of poop along the bottom of the breeder box haha
Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #1725
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

all my intakes are covered except the small pump for the breeder box, maybe they made it in there somehow. I really total clean the moss out of that thing to take inventory. maybe next weeks project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.