philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 105
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 06-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #1561
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Weird...it just went away. I'm not crazy I swear haha!
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #1562
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

got my CO2 up and running. Was able to get a free tank from a friend.
I placed it on the other side of the tank away from the HOB. Do you guys run your's 24/7? The needle valve is touchy and adjusting this thing daily would be a pita.

I took some before pics and will post after pics at some point. Actually I cant post the before pics till I find my camera cable....
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #1563
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Dan.....if it's the needle valve i am thinking of, take the valve out and put some vaseline on the o_ring inside. It will make it easier to adjust in small increments.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #1564
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Bill, i'll try that.

I'm going to let it run 24/7 to see how long it lasts. I have it at 3bps in a 55. Does that sound about right?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #1565
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

For a 55, yeah. How are you diffusing it? The normal sized diffuser may be too small for a 55. Probably better off running it through a powerhead and misting. That or get a bigger diffuser.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #1566
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's a Up-Aqua glass diffuser. Could I just point a powerhead at the bubbles coming from the diffuser?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #1567
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Good question.....it is my understanding that the bubbles coming from the diffuser are actually air. The co2 is broken down and absorbed in the water inside the diffuser. Try it the way it is for a week and then adjust. You dosing dry or liquid ferts?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #1568
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

no ferts (for now). I want to see what happens with just the CO2 addition. At least until the first tank runs out.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #1569
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

well, the problem you may have is that the plants may have stunted growth because they want to grow, but are lacking nutrients. kinda like living on a water only diet. yeah, you can survive, but you won;t be healthy. if that makes any sense. unless of course, it's a dirt tank?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #1570
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
well, the problem you may have is that the plants may have stunted growth because they want to grow, but are lacking nutrients. kinda like living on a water only diet. yeah, you can survive, but you won;t be healthy. if that makes any sense. unless of course, it's a dirt tank?
of course . It's been up for a year. If I can avoid adding daily ferts I will. I'd rather add root tabs or new dirt (jam dirt icecubes under the substrate)....but we'll see how it goes...
Old 06-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #1571
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Good question.....it is my understanding that the bubbles coming from the diffuser are actually air. The co2 is broken down and absorbed in the water inside the diffuser. Try it the way it is for a week and then adjust. You dosing dry or liquid ferts?
I dont tuink thats accurate, theres no way that amound of co2 could get disolved in such a small amount of water so quickly, and for a continious amount of time. that tiny amount of water in the difusor would be saturated within a matyer of mins.

Btw bill would it b cool to meet up some time sunday?
Gota grab that $, and do u think u could sell me a small amount of glut if u can spare any?

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
jreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #1572
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
I dont tuink thats accurate, theres no way that amound of co2 could get disolved in such a small amount of water so quickly, and for a continious amount of time. that tiny amount of water in the difusor would be saturated within a matyer of mins.

Btw bill would it b cool to meet up some time sunday?
Gota grab that $, and do u think u could sell me a small amount of glut if u can spare any?

sunday actually works out awesome. i will be in your neck of the woods after 2 i'll have some glut for ya

as for the co2 thing. i am just going by what i read on many forums. i do understand the science behind it and i honestly am on the fence about it. realistically though, i am of the mindset that if it works, it works....lol
Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #1573
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

i just received the most wonderful package today from a sort of local memeber on the forums. Misha. Michael works in Center City a few days a week, but lives in NYC. he was looking for sunset hygro, and could not get it because no one would ship it, since it is on the USDA Noxious weeds list. so, i hooked him up , and in return, her dropped off these limnophilia aromatica and persicaria 'sao paulo' to me tonight. such generosity, i was blown away!! they were so large, i had to cut them in half to fit them in my tank. i'll take a pic of the tank after they grow straight
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #1574
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

They r big. aromatica grows like crazy in my tank.
Im probably sleeping in sunday so if u wana stop by txt me first, or lmk when / where u wana meet up.

jreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #1575
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Hey guys...I'm thinking about sticking a tub outside with water and some slate just to get algae growing on it then stick it in my tank for my pleco to nom on. Anyone see anything bad that could happen with this? I got the idea when I was letting a bunch of rocks soak outside in a tube just to make sure they didn't have soap residue on them and I forgot about them for a couple days and they were pretty well covered in algae. Washed it off without thinking about it, but I could be letting my pleco's eat that stuff haha

On another note...my brown bristlenose pair layed eggs again a couple weeks ago or something and now I got a bunch of pleco fry again haha...gotta love it.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote