philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 100
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 06-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #1486
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

There's a calculator out there to help determine tank size/ glass thickness. The main thing to remember when building a tank is higher tanks require thicker glass. Another tip is to build yourself some sort of jig to help assembly go smoothly and quickly. I give you guys a lot of credit for trying to build your own tanks. I don't think i would trust myself doing that. Just remember, if it fails and ruin mom's rugs, you only have yourself to blame..........lol
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #1487
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

I'll definitely be keeping all the DIY tanks in the basement. If any break, water will be falling on concrete and not rug haha I'll look for that calculator. Keeping the tanks no more than 12 inches high should work in my favor.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #1488
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

i'm sure you have read this thread by now, but if you somehow missed it, it is a very informative read....
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...lass-tank.html
Old 06-10-2012, 03:31 AM   #1489
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Found a calculator and although is seems like I could pull off some tanks into the 20 gallon range, I think I'm going to play it safe and stick with the 5 gallon tank idea. Just eyeballing it, I think the glass I got is between 2-3mm. Not thick enough at all to make some 40 breeders like I had planned, but it will work for some smaller stuff. Now I just gotta figure out what kind of dimensions I want for the 5-7ish gallon tanks I'm going to make. rectangle seems boring haha...square could be nice.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #1490
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

5 and 10 gal tanks are cheap enough. Why would you want to risk building it yourself? Even if it's in the basement, tank failure could mean lost of entire stock. Just not worth it IMHO.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #1491
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to joon

i been working on diy tank too
i made couple 12inch cube tanks they are okay for 2 months
cuz its a small tank , it is so easy to make and i feel safe
soon i will try 24inch x 18in x 16 inch tank

i need to buy this tool , where can i buy it Bill?lol

joon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #1492
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joon View Post
what happen after 2???
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #1493
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusonly View Post
5 and 10 gal tanks are cheap enough. Why would you want to risk building it yourself? Even if it's in the basement, tank failure could mean lost of entire stock. Just not worth it IMHO.
Having bought plenty of 10 gallon tanks from craigslist for $5 each, I do agree that 10 gallon tanks are cheap. But no one seems to have/want to sell 2.5/5 gallon tanks for a comparable price. I know it's "cheap" of me, but I don't want to pay $5 for a 5 gallon tank when I can get a 10 gallon tank for the same price. But it's not worth someones time to sell their 5 or 2.5 gallon tanks for 50 cents per gallon (which is what I usually push for) haha.

And honestly, a tank that's roughly a 12inch cube doesn't scare me a bit when you think about it. I would use them for raising fry so it doesn't have to look fancy at all. A thick bead of silicon on each corner should more than do the trick to stop any leaks/breaks.

I kinda want to make a rack with a bunch of small 5 gallon tanks and have them all connected to a central sump. The sump would be very large at least doubling the total amount of water in the system. That would mean I wouldn't have to worry about the bio load in each small tank because the system itself would be much larger to accommodate for itself. Only problem I can think of right now would be the weight of the diy overflow on the lip of the tank with such thin glass. I suppose I can make the length a little longer and have it sit on the table the tanks are on without having to make contact with the rims. Should work....just gotta dial in the overflow tube.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #1494
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPlakat View Post
. Only problem I can think of right now would be the weight of the diy overflow on the lip of the tank with such thin glass. I suppose I can make the length a little longer and have it sit on the table the tanks are on without having to make contact with the rims. Should work....just gotta dial in the overflow tube.
drill the bottoms or sides, install a bulkhead and pvc to the water height you want to keep it at. instant overflow.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:52 AM   #1495
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

i have no clue jimmy, but who is the hot chick in the newspaper ad???
Old 06-11-2012, 03:10 AM   #1496
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
drill the bottoms or sides, install a bulkhead and pvc to the water height you want to keep it at. instant overflow.
The glass is pretty thin...think 2mm is too thin to drill? If it could be done I would actually prefer it to be that way but I don't want to try drilling only to find out it cracked all the way through. I suppose I could test it out on a scrap piece first, but then I gotta invest in the drill bit haha
Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #1497
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

I assume you are looking for this to make sure that the tank is square. Try looking for tools to do frameless shower doors. They should have something similiar. I believe CRL is the company that does a lot of these stuff but don't be surprised that they could be expensive.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #1498
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Man, it seems like building a tank is more trouble and aggravating than it is worth. I'll stick to leaving that up to the pros and the robots that they run......lol
Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #1499
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Man, it seems like building a tank is more trouble and aggravating than it is worth. I'll stick to leaving that up to the pros and the robots that they run......lol
I don't think you can really put a price on the feeling of accomplishment in building your own custom tank. I would love to build my own tank but could never justify the cost of having the right tools to do it correctly. Don't get me wrong, I love DIY stuff but when it comes to building something that could result in major disaster if done wrong, I am just way too nervous about it.

Take for instance the acrylic tank that I currently have set up. Remember the bow that I showed you cause of the thin acrylic that was used? I don't think that tank would be filled with water if I had done the tank myself as a DIY. Since it was done by a major manufacturer, I am less nervous that it would explode.

For those doing DIY glass tank, just be careful. Make sure you get rid of all the sharp edges.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #1500
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, i can understand the sense of accomplishment, but like you said, that feeling is going to go away really fast when you have a buttload of water and dead livestock all over the floor. I give a lot of credit to those who attempt it.