HC planting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-10-2005, 05:10 AM   #1
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

HC planting

Hi everyone,

I recieved a couple of bundels of HC. I try to push down as much as the roots possible but ended up burying parts of it to keep it from floating. I also sprinkled some gravel on top to help it stay in place. I spread it out in little chunks. My co2 ppm is @ 30 and adding GW fertz 3 x weekly, my temp in the tank is 79 degrees. Whats the max temp it will tolerate? I have discus in there, temp used to be between 81-79. I adjusted the thermometer to set @ 80 but since its an open tank it sits at 79. Is this temp too high for it? Did I plant it right and is everything set for it?Thanks for all the great help!

Pete
PeteyPob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

What is "HC"?

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hemianthus callichtroides
Old 02-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
shalu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think 79F is a bit too cool for discus. I don't have HC in this tank, but I have not found a single plant yet that can't grow in my 83F discus tank, currently I have about 65 species, many rare/difficult/red plants. I doubt it will have any difficulty if I decide to grow it there. It took a while to figure out a few plants, but nothing related to temperature. The important thing in the high temperature tank is, nutrient dosing need to be kept up because plants with high metabolism is unforgiving to nutrient decifiencies.

Also remember, lots of this plant come from Singapore, you know how hot it is over there?

I also got HC recently, but growing it in a 10 gallon. Looks like it is going to be as weedy as the larger H. micranthemoides. I planted it in small chunks, weighted down by a few grains of gravel. I imagine it might be hard for it to get established if there are many active fish digging/feeding at the bottom. Let's know how it works out for you.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Hi shalu,

Thanks for your responce! I happen to place my HC near the filter output, so they are experianceing some turbulance but I just dug them in deeper and have some gravel on top. I figured 79 was too low when I first drop the tank, so I gradually put it up at 82.Ill keep you guys updated!
Pete
PeteyPob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

During the summer my office tank was consistantly in the 82-88° range and my HC did very well.

As for planting, I do just what you ended up doing. It's best to seperate out all the stems within a bunch and plant them individually. Just stick one end into the gravel so that a few leaves are poking out of the gravel. When the individual stems start forming clumps start the separate-plant process over again. This works the best for covering a larger area.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:57 PM   #7
shalu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Bill, thanks for the HC you gave me
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote