Emergent Photo Journal - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #196
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
I would think a simple space heater would do fine whether electric or gas.
Not a big fan of space heater if you're spending this kind of $$$. Just too much of potential problems and hazards.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 08:32 PM   #197
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (112/99%)

Thanks for the input guys.
Hung, can you see if you can recommend a heating and cooling unit?

For the swamp cooler, I am looking at this from amazon but I dont know if it will be sufficient
http://www.amazon.com/SF-609-Portabl...6670871&sr=8-3
looking4roselines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #198
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4roselines View Post
I have used a different combination of earth worm castings, red clay, used aquasoil, oak leaf, charcoal, and even kitty litter. Of all the ones I've tried, using pure kitty litter is the least effective. The best combo that worked for me was earth worm casting mixed with clay and used aquasoil. This grew my ferruginea, zaidiana, and noritoi, and ideii really well. C fusca doesnt appear to appreciate this as much though. I grew the plant for almost two years and it never had more than three leaves at a given time. It did send a spathe though.
I have been using potting soil and sand. It compacts after a while. I am needing to find something else. This stuff turns into concrete!
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #199
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

Got another orchid package today. This is just one of the sp.
I'll get photos of the rest this weekend.

Bulbophyllum maximum
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336700091.610304.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	47312

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336700108.608388.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	47313
This thing much bigger than I expected and it came in with three spikes

Xue
Old 05-11-2012, 01:46 AM   #200
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I was thinking you may want to think about making the emersed setups separate from the rest of the greenhouse, here is the thought if you are really getting into orchids you will be limiting what you an keep by shooting for high humidity and temps all the time like crypts and buces like. A lot of the really neat orchids out there need cooler nights and dryer periods. If you separated the emersed section or used tubs covered with plastic you would also make temperature control for the emersed setups easier.

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #201
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4roselines View Post
Got another orchid package today. This is just one of the sp.
I'll get photos of the rest this weekend.

Bulbophyllum maximum
Attachment 47312
Attachment 47313
This thing much bigger than I expected and it came in with three spikes

Xue
Glad it kept the spikes! I included two stakes in the box, I would recommend staking the spikes to support them since the bulbs they are growing from are . . . floating. I'm personally not a fan of stakes, but this monster actually needed it.

Hope the others made it ok as well.
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #202
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toksyn View Post
Glad it kept the spikes! I included two stakes in the box, I would recommend staking the spikes to support them since the bulbs they are growing from are . . . floating. I'm personally not a fan of stakes, but this monster actually needed it.

Hope the others made it ok as well.
I just finished watering them and I was actually about to PM you.

Everything came in great condition. All nice and healthy specimen. Many thanks again!

If you are interested in trading again later, hit me up!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:49 AM   #203
toksyn
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

I try not to disappoint
toksyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #204
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
I was thinking you may want to think about making the emersed setups separate from the rest of the greenhouse, here is the thought if you are really getting into orchids you will be limiting what you an keep by shooting for high humidity and temps all the time like crypts and buces like. A lot of the really neat orchids out there need cooler nights and dryer periods. If you separated the emersed section or used tubs covered with plastic you would also make temperature control for the emersed setups easier.

Len

Hey Len,
I am aware that some will require colder and a drier period in different times of the year. Just like bulb. maximum. It requires a drier resting period during the winter time to promote vigorous growth in the next season. The greenhouse will be crypt and buce dominant along with a few anubias. There will be some orchids but not a whole lot. I've seen some neo. species that are over $1K and I don't want to lean towards that side of the hobby.

ive developed an interest in cattelya species and a lot of these seem to appreciate the heat and high humidity so it looks like I am going to have a few of these.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #205
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

These are the procurements made over the weekend. I had to order another window at full price, which was 3 times the ones from the bone yard.

I also bought a nice door with windows in the center. I was looking at the fancy glass doors and wife denied me before I even opened my mouth. I had to go through the economy route.

Also going to go with steel studs rather than the wooden 2x4s. This is to avoid termite attacks and rot

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337103735.626289.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	47607

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337103774.406695.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	47608

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337103796.477487.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	47609

The door is designed to be a left swing, opening to the inside of the green house. I am going to turn it around, making it a right swing, where it opens to the outside of the greenhouse to maximize the usage of the floor space

Xue
Old 05-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #206
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

C noritoi wongso has been circulating among collectors in the US for a while now. I recently acquire another form of noritoi from Kalimantan. Below is a photo to show the difference kalimantan and Wongso.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337104133.228066.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	47610

The one to the right was from Kalimantan. Growth appears to be more compact with more rounded leaves And the overall size is a bit smaller.

Here is another shot of noritoi Wongso flowering

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337104301.277256.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	47611

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337104323.275686.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	47612

Xue
Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #207
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (68/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Nice, Xue, nice. I'm sorry, but how many square feet is this going to be again??

Good thinking about using metal studs...you'll be thankful you did. Especially considering how humid everything is going to be in there, it would probably be the perfect environment to rot any wood, even pressure-treated.
crazydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #208
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I was actually wondering the opposite, how are the metal studs going to hold up to the moisture. Also it seems like you are using insulated windows and doors and a non insulated vinyl top, I'm wondering if there are any roofing options like a skylight, double paned panels etc that might be a better option for you so it is then easier to regulate the temperature.

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #209
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
I was actually wondering the opposite, how are the metal studs going to hold up to the moisture. Also it seems like you are using insulated windows and doors and a non insulated vinyl top, I'm wondering if there are any roofing options like a skylight, double paned panels etc that might be a better option for you so it is then easier to regulate the temperature.

Len

I know I am going to loose a lot of heat during the winter but i've looked around and I cannot find a better alternative for the roofing material. I thought about skylights too but I am not sure who is going to have the sizes I need. It is a good thing that the average temper in Glendora is ~55 degrees during the winter season based on historical trends.

As for the studs, moisture can affect both wood and metal but wood is prone to mold and insect damage. I can make a vapor barrier for the wall but it wouldn't be worth the effort since the wall will be mostly covered in windows with 12-15" of space in between each window.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #210
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Nice, Xue, nice. I'm sorry, but how many square feet is this going to be again??

Good thinking about using metal studs...you'll be thankful you did. Especially considering how humid everything is going to be in there, it would probably be the perfect environment to rot any wood, even pressure-treated.
I initially estimated it at 10'X20' but the actual usable floor space is 9'x19'. So it is about 171 sq ft.