ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden(pics of summer 2013 page 4) - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #76
KenP
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hi i thought I would add a pond picture with snow. This winter in NJ has been colder for longer duration and the snow we received stayed. I am suspect that a cheap low volume air pump will keep an opening in the ice. I use a Medo 45 and the hole in the picture is only 8-10 inches wide. During a particular cold spell the opening was maybe 3 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	275490  

KenP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #77
twentypoundtabby
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

The air pump might keep a hole in the ice depending on how cold it gets. It can certainly reduce the amount you need to use a heater.
I've been using a stock tank heater to keep a hole in the ice for a couple of decades. Maybe 5 or so years ago I added an air pump and it keeps a hole in the ice most of the time now. I only had to plug in the stock tank heater when the temperatures got to -14 F and didn't get above 0 F for a week. The air pump uses a lot less power than the stock tank heater so I'm happy.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #78
MB2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wow, thanks KenP and Mark Allred for showing your ponds full of snow. The cat seems like seeing something that aroused her curiosity.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #79
Mark Allred
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

MB2,
You were right about him seeing something...
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 AM   #80
KenP
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have not seen my koi for about a month. The snow has been around that long. I could use that cat this spring if he is available. I have a chipmunk problem and my dogs just do not care.
KenP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 03:17 AM   #81
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Well I guess spring has finally decided to show up so its that time of year that I dread every year. The spring cleaning of the pond will begin in the next few weeks. I have my nephews graduation next weekend and my wife is having surgery the following week so hopefully it will get done in three weeks. The plants have started poking up all over including several that I found in local ponds and lakes last summer. I put quite a bit of a some type of larger hairgrass and its coming up all over including places far from where I planted it so apparently it seeded itself last year. I will be taking pictures along the way and try to show some of the process of getting it ready for the summer.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 AM   #82
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

So I actually got some free time yesterday and spent 10 hours cleaning the pond. It was a ton of work but I'm glad it's done. I also had to replace some of the underwater lights as they quit working on me. It looks really nice and I had a nice surprise and found a lone baby koi that was from a spawn last year. I really didn't think any made it after only seeing a few last summer swimming around. It is around 3 1/2" and not the best coloring on it but it's a baby nonetheless. I will be taking some pictures in the next few days and try to get them posted by the first of next week.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 05-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #83
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Really envious of your setup. Just amazing! I actually dug out a 12" x 7" pond last fall deciding on whether I'm going to start it up this spring/summer. It's probably about 1300 Gal.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #84
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Today while at home over my lunch I went out to look at the pond and saw some little birds walking around by the pond. After getting closer I noticed they were baby ducks. Wood ducks I think.

While this may not be that big of a deal to see ducks by a pond, it's the fact that I live inside the city limits and not even close to a lake. As I got closer the ducks scattered in all directions and most of them ran under the privacy fence and into my neighbors yard. One however went into the pond and swam to the other side, then jumped out and ran into the sunroom because I forgot to shut it after the shock of seeing ducks in my yard. I couldn't find where the other babies went and there is no mother duck to be found. They don't look to be more than a few days old. I couldn't find where the other babies ran off to and after catching the one that ran into the sunroom I wasn't sure what to do with it. I didn't want to let it go without being with its siblings and since no mama duck to be found I put it into a tub until I figure out what to do. I will probably end up calling games and park if I don't see the others by tomorrow. I was afraid it would end up cat food if left to fend for itself. Here's a quick cell picture and I hoping to get some new pics of the pond this weekend but don't hold me to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	332674  

Old 06-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #85
crazydog64
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Let it back out. The momma duck will take off and come back later. You can watch for her
crazydog64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #86
Unikorn
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Ducks like oatmeal with a lot of water, just until the mom comes back ect.

RIP20 gallon tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=223762

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...97#post3763497
Unikorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.