When to move a tub outdoors?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #1
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

When to move a tub outdoors?

I've got a 20 gallon container pond that's been nice and sheltered all winter in my shop (it had a heater, filter, light, ect.) but it's warming up and we're needing the space in the shop. I've already put the heater on a timer to get the fish used to the day/night temp shifts, and they've handled it with no problem. They also handled accidentally having the heater, filter, and light turned off for 48 hours because someone turned off a breaker and forgot to turn it back on.

The species I keep are very hardy (zebra danios and Heterandria Formosa) and have been able to handle temps in the 40's, unintentionally. I'm planning on waiting until the night temps are in the 40-50's range, but other opinions are appreciated.
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2015, 03:37 AM   #2
Roshan8768
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'd wait until the night temps are no lower that high 50s. I just moved my stock out and we have night time temps of around 68 now. I have some more sensitive fish for what it's worth
Roshan8768 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
seandelevan
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah I would wait just a little longer. I'm in southern VA where it's been in the 50's and 60's at night the last few weeks and just yesterday I'm just beginning to see some growth of my pond plants and the goldfish I have are just starting to move around. I usually go by what my animals and plants are doing outside.
seandelevan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
Bushkill
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you talk to some gardeners in your area that grow tomatoes, they'll give you the best reference point. Tomatoes get hammered if nights drop below the low 50's overnight for more than one or two nights. In my neck of the woods, I can't set a tomato plant in the ground before Memorial Day. There's no guarantees where the weather's concerned though. About 4 or 5 years ago we got a light overnight frost on June 6th! So whatever you choose, be prepared to throw some plastic or a tarp over it for the first week or so, just in case.

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
Bushkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
I've got a 20 gallon container pond that's been nice and sheltered all winter in my shop (it had a heater, filter, light, ect.) but it's warming up and we're needing the space in the shop. I've already put the heater on a timer to get the fish used to the day/night temp shifts, and they've handled it with no problem. They also handled accidentally having the heater, filter, and light turned off for 48 hours because someone turned off a breaker and forgot to turn it back on.

The species I keep are very hardy (zebra danios and Heterandria Formosa) and have been able to handle temps in the 40's, unintentionally. I'm planning on waiting until the night temps are in the 40-50's range, but other opinions are appreciated.
After mother's day
roadmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2015, 05:18 AM   #6
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
If you talk to some gardeners in your area that grow tomatoes, they'll give you the best reference point. Tomatoes get hammered if nights drop below the low 50's overnight for more than one or two nights. In my neck of the woods, I can't set a tomato plant in the ground before Memorial Day. There's no guarantees where the weather's concerned though. About 4 or 5 years ago we got a light overnight frost on June 6th! So whatever you choose, be prepared to throw some plastic or a tarp over it for the first week or so, just in case.
My family grows tomatoes like no one's business, but we have these water inflated greenhouse things that let us get plants in the ground weeks before anyone else...so that doesn't help! Haha. Too bad I hate tomatoes...

But I'll probably put the pond out when we put peppers out... oh wait... I have some on a container on the deck already...uhh...
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.