4,000 Gallon Koi Pond- PIPE BURST :(
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 04-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

4,000 Gallon Koi Pond- PIPE BURST :(

Well I lied. Opened it last night. But we have fish!

Uv... check

Filter.... check. There's 6 foam pads in there, and 6 bags with 500 bio balls in them. Though by the sound of the pump, it's going to be replaced this year. It's whining and not from low water levels.

Barley balls are in. Haven't sunk yet, but they help a LOT when it comes to keeping algae from growing and also in a few weeks should help clear up the water dramatically. Started to fish out most of the leaves, but once the weather and the water warms up will start to work on the pond more.

And hey look fish. No food yet though. Water is a chilly 50 degrees. Once it consistently stays above 55, they start to get fed. Still getting pretty cold at night, so should be another 2 weeks or so until they get food. We have 7 full grown Koi and added 3 babies in last summer. Also got lots of Pool Comets, some have bred with Koi, so we have Koi colored Comets, and there's a goldfish in there too.

And the whole pond. It's 5.5 feet deep to help with the Michigan winters. No idea on the gallonage. Haven't done the math in a long time.

As the plants grow back in, vines cover the waterfall's black sides, and the Bamboo goes nuts. It's like vietnam, but can't control the bamboo for the most part. Started with 3 plants a few years ago. We have a handful of plants sitting inside that survived the winter, waiting to go into the pond when the water temperature stabilizes.

This year we are going to use old liner we have, and extend the pond on the bottom left side to start growing more plants local to Michigan so they can survive outdoors. We do have two shelfs on opposite sides of the pond that we want to start utilizing as well. Still have the bubbler and heater in (keeps a ventilation hole in the ice during the winter), though we will be removing that later today. Will be updating this as the pond clears up and the plants around it come back in. We are working on a new bridge that goes across the middle. Our old one I wouldn't trust a cat to stand on.

Anyway, there ya go..... Ponds been established for 8 years this summer. Much better at ponds then planted fish tanks lol.

Last edited by Little Soprano; 04-03-2015 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: changed to a journal of sorts
Little Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

any pics of it last spring? I've never done a pond but have always wanted one (or several lol)
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
any pics of it last spring? I've never done a pond but have always wanted one (or several lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC2N...L-A3KRpXB6erCw

There's a silly old youtube video my BF took of the pond. I don't have any pictures that I can find right now. Thats a few years ago though.

Ours got put in when the pool was put in. So he just asked the guy with the excavator to help him out and take out 4-5 scoops. Made fast work. He said it was a lot of work, but worth it. Lots of plumbing and we had to run electricity up to the pond too. It's totally worth it though. Very peaceful to just sit out there and watch it. And ours will literally slide right up on to your hand and take food from you, if I put my hand in they'll "suck" on it. Very personable fish. Totally worth it.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

One day when I have my own place lol

Although I might go crazy and do something weird like gar or paddlefish :P
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
twentypoundtabby
Planted Member

What do you do to open up your pond? Or do you mean it's that time of year to get the pumps going. I have lots of netting on mine to keep the leaves out, but I can see in it as long as there's no ice on the top. Sometimes I can see fish on the bottom in January if the lighting is just right. The fish have only recently come up from the bottom and starting being active.
My water fall/filter pump is a probably a month away from being turned on. It's not consistently warm enough yet.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentypoundtabby View Post
What do you do to open up your pond? Or do you mean it's that time of year to get the pumps going. I have lots of netting on mine to keep the leaves out, but I can see in it as long as there's no ice on the top. Sometimes I can see fish on the bottom in January if the lighting is just right. The fish have only recently come up from the bottom and starting being active.
My water fall/filter pump is a probably a month away from being turned on. It's not consistently warm enough yet.
Mostly get all the pumps out and get them going. We put a net on during the fall but we take it off in the winter. We have a sassafras tree above the pond, so it turns the water into tea. We remove all the leaves we can before we close up, to the point this year it broke my net LOL. It's insane. Our pond is so deep and with the black liner, unless the pond is SPOTLESS you can't see to the bottom. Didn't put the barley balls in soon enough and already have string algae lol. But yeah opening up=getting everything running again, seeing what broke over the winter, etc. Hoping to get the new bridge built over the next week. Haven't quite figured out how we are getting it back on the pond though. Most likely drawing straws to see who is jumping in.

Ours is staying around 50 degrees which is when the waterfall normally gets hooked up, though we normally base it on how active the fish are. They've been swimming about quite a lot so we turned it on. We've always removed the net for some reason lol.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Nice! I'm in MI also but haven't fired up the pond pump yet. I want to do a good cleaning and pump out the bottom of mine this spring. Will be done soon, but I don't usually disturb things until the water temp is stable above 50. I like the shape of your pond how many gallons? Mine is around 2400g I only have 2 koi, a few shubunkin, and some very large comets. Hope to move over to shubunkin more but the comets keep breeding lol.
TekWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarren View Post
Nice! I'm in MI also but haven't fired up the pond pump yet. I want to do a good cleaning and pump out the bottom of mine this spring. Will be done soon, but I don't usually disturb things until the water temp is stable above 50. I like the shape of your pond how many gallons? Mine is around 2400g I only have 2 koi, a few shubunkin, and some very large comets. Hope to move over to shubunkin more but the comets keep breeding lol.
I have no idea how large ours is to be honest. We did the math last year when we did a big cleaning and emptied the entire thing, but I can't remember off the top of my head. It's been staying over 50 for the most part, but it was getting so mucky we just went ahead and did it. They are such hardy fish its unbelievable.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

amazing pond Im currently working on cleaning up my pond for summer...
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 04:08 AM   #10
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by izabella87 View Post
amazing pond Im currently working on cleaning up my pond for summer...
Thank you! It's much clearer today. The UV stabilizer helps out so much when it comes to clearing up the water. Hoping to get some better pictures tomorrow. Finished cutting all the pieces for the new bridge too, so just have to put it all together, and then figure out how on earth we are getting it in place lol. Deep pond+heavy bridge=someone goes into 50 degree water, and holds it up while the other guides it into place. I'm conveniently too short to go into the pond hehe
Old 04-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well the water has cleaned up substantially. Can see right to the bottom. A lot of work needs to be done, especially as far as getting all the leaves out. Broke my net getting the majority out before we closed it last fall.

Picked up a beautiful baby butterfly koi at my LFS yesterday. He's really a beautiful white and silver-blue color, but he's still too nervous about his new place, so I took a picture from a distance. He also ate the shrimp pellets I had that were supposed to be feeding my filter, so I take that as a good sign. Other then being scared of me and still hiding some, he's doing well, and happy! Had no place other then my newly cycled 10 gallon, so that will be his home until the pond gets warm enough! He did eat this morning though. And moved around my Anubias a bit, but other wise he seems fine.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
wootlaws
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice pond, fishes, and video updates! Looking forward to more. Thanks for sharing
wootlaws is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got new goodies! Big new skimmer teehee:

Replacing:

It's 48" long, don't know the rest of the dimensions, but it's at least double what I have now.
Also got new Easy Pro 1/2hp pump:

Current pump you can hear whining from the house.

Finished our bridge! Started with 18 pieces of 2x4s 8 feet long, turned into a bridge.

Bamboo hasn't come back yet, but we got flowers!

Some fishies: I have a video, but no youtube account so pictures it is!

Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
AGUILAR3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

The bridge is pretty cool. Is it anchored down or just sitting there on top of the rocks?
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
The bridge is pretty cool. Is it anchored down or just sitting there on top of the rocks?
Just sits on top of them. It's pretty darn heavy. The rocks are supported by a fiberglass system underneath, and big sheets are behind the liner underneath to help hold it too. You can jump on top of it and it doesn't budge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.