Fish & Plants in GTA - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Canada

Old 03-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #31
AustinL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you are reffering to zoestorfolia I have a ton of it, I got it at Oakville and its growing crazy, currently my trimmings are goign into another tank but that tank will soon have enough, I will be taking the rest over to the Big als at yonge and steeles for credit.
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #32
Swervedriver
Algae Grower

Ah, so that's where the trimmings are coming from, customers! I was wondering if Big Als were trimming their own plants. I see quite a bit of bunch plant stems with little or no roots established for sale at the store.

I naively bought some bunched java fern stems from Big Als at what I thought was a bargain price only to be disappointed by the lack of any rhizome. This was when I first started a planted tank. Fortunately, these stems have produced a ton of leaflets and I have a nice collection of young java ferns in all of my tanks. These stems are baby making machines, much like guppies.
Swervedriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #33
AustinL
Algae Grower

Werent from me

Mine that a i sell back are double the size they sell from tropica usually. All these canadians we should all be trading.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #34
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Fish & Plants in GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL
Werent from me

Mine that a i sell back are double the size they sell from tropica usually. All these canadians we should all be trading.
I'll second that, Austin! I just started, so I don't have any trades yet, but I am definitely willing to pay! And willing to swap one of these days...

Kathy
GTApuffgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2005, 03:08 AM   #35
bred
Algae Grower

So my gf and I TTC'd up to the Yonge&Steeles store this evening. Not bad, not bad! The fish room staff were a little bit ghetto, but they had some really fantastic fish all in great condition. A really healthy 4" Dogface puffer, some reasonably healthy GSPs, and, to our delight, a tank full of South American Puffers!! They're infected with Ich but we convinced the guy to sell us three anyway. Wouldn't want them to use meds on the fish anyway... So now we have three happy little boys zooming around their new home.

Also, they had a bunch of E. Stellata in little pots. Teeny tiny plants right now, but they'll grow into beauties. Yay!

Thanks for the tips, all!

PS I'm totally down with trading. Sounds like a great idea.
bred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #36
Swervedriver
Algae Grower

Trading is always good. Unfortunately, with my low light tank all I have to trade is some limnophilia sessiflora (grows like a weed...but then it's considered as one !), and some baby java ferns.

Is everyone here aware of the PN Aquaria Forum? It's a Canadian based forum, but it's activity level isn't comparable to The Planted Tank Forum. If you're looking for other local users it's a pretty good place.

We'll keep this little thread going so that us GTA aquarist can keep in contact here.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #37
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Fish & Plants in GTA

Glad to hear Yonge & Steeles was worth the trip, Bred! Sounds like the puffers are better off with you and the GF!

Like I said, hopefully my newly planted tank will survive and thrive and I will soon have oodles of goodies to trade. As for now, as long as cash isn't a problem, I'd be happy to take some cuttings off your hands there, Swervedriver! Let me know when you have some available.

Kathy
GTApuffgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #38
AustinL
Algae Grower

I was also surprised to see the stellata, they have had lots of trouble getting them up here, I was told they werent allowed across the border for some reason, so I also grabbed a few
Old 03-14-2005, 10:23 PM   #39
bred
Algae Grower

I'm about to make the leap to Pressurized CO2... Just a few niggling questions are holding me back. To those of you who already go this route, a question: Where do you buy your CO2 cannisters, and how much does it cost you?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:04 PM   #40
jart
Wannabe Guru

FWIW (I live in NS) my 10 lb tank with regulator set me back about $218 (home brew outlet). Of course if I had to do it again I would have just bought the tank locally, then ordered a package deal from one of the sponsors.

I have been looking for stargrass too, BTW, a definite rarity in these parts.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2005, 01:03 AM   #41
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I ordered my regulator from an online vendor (still way cheaper then anywhere locally). I picked up a 20# cylinder at a local hydroponics store for $75 filled. Obviously this was in Windsor, but the same company has a store in the Toronto Area (http://www.hydroponics.com/distributor/index.html), I would try them out.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #42
bred
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinlo
I ordered my regulator from an online vendor (still way cheaper then anywhere locally). I picked up a 20# cylinder at a local hydroponics store for $75 filled. Obviously this was in Windsor, but the same company has a store in the Toronto Area (http://www.hydroponics.com/distributor/index.html), I would try them out.
Brilliant, thanks!!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:52 PM   #43
Swervedriver
Algae Grower

That sounds like a good deal, Vinlo, for the 20lb cylinder. But how big is it compared to a 5lb or 10lb which is more common. I noticed that the Hydroponics store does not sell anything less than 20lb.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #44
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think it is about 8"x28" high (plus the tap and regulator and such). Y'know, about 2" taller than my stand.. just enough to piss me off and put it on the outside of the stand.

The hydroponics place was way outta line on the regulator prices though.. all in one (sans bubble counter) was like $235 or something outragoues. They carry Potassium Nitrate and Phophate too, pretty cheap I might add. They also carry chelated iron, I don't think they carry plantex, they might though.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:56 PM   #45
Swervedriver
Algae Grower

GTAPuffGal

Were you interested in some limnophilia sessiflora or the java ferns? I'll be chopping some of my limnophilia soon and I have some baby ferns (2-3 leaves) as well.

And I have to head down to Menagerie this weekend to see what shrimps they have in supply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.