Fish & Plants in GTA - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Canada

Old 02-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #16
bred
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've been trying to find a Tetraodon palembangensis for a while now... I asked Menagerie to special order but I don't think they were successful. This was after debating the nomenclature with the guy! Sadly, many puffers are difficult to order because of the massive confusion surrounding their proper identification.
bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2005, 12:12 AM   #17
Swervedriver
Algae Grower

Hey everyone,

So far I've been to the following aquarium stores:

Menagerie (Parliament/Wellesley) - I've been to the Menagerie recently and picked up some shrimp: Cherries, Red Nose/Rhino (my favourite), Blue, and Bumble Bee. It's the only store that I've been to that had shrimp other than ghost, cherries and amanos. Small selection of plants. They had Hair grass, which I don't often see (perhaps never seen). Aquariums look small and algae filled and they're using those old style corner filters.

Big Als (Steeles/Yonge) - Apparently they have a plant guy there who I haven't met yet. Decent set of plants species that look healthy. The kids who work their don't seem too knowledgeable regarding plants, I have to find this plant guy one day.

Big Als (Mississauga) - lately the plants haven't been looking too good, but they have a good selection of plant species.

Big Als (Oakville) - I've only been there once and they had a good selection of plants that looked healthly. That circular marine tank was a disappointment I wish it had live coral and such.

SuperPets (Yonge/Lawrence) - Small selection of plants with decent health. Aquariums like very nice and tidy with healthly fish.

PJ Pet Centre (Sherway Gardens) - Nice looking aquariums, clean, healthy. Small selection of plants but generally healthy looking.

PJ Pet Centre (Yorkdale) - Very little plant selection poorly maintained. The absolute worst looking plants I've seen. The prices were priced accordingly, very cheap. But you may be able to revive some plants in your own aquarium under more optimal conditions without spending alot.

It seems the stores with some plant knowledgeable staff have the better quality of plant, both in selections and health.
Swervedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #18
lotus02
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Myself living outside of London Ont. have a hard time finding plants and shrimp other than ghost around here.
Having a saltwater reef tank too , we take road trips to TO often for coral. Next time we go I'm defiantly check out Menagerie. My son wants shrimp in the tank. The planted tank was set up for him he's 10 and has been involved with our tanks since he was three.
lotus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:29 PM   #19
Swervedriver
Algae Grower

Lotus02

Just to let you know:

I found Big Al's in Oakville to have some really interesting marine species of shrimp, nudibranch, sea urchins, star fish, seahorses and other invertibrates. These were really interesting species, especially the starfish-only eating shrimp and the green nudibranch, and it tempts me to set up a marine tank. As freshwater goes they only had Amano and ghost when I visited recently.

Big Al's at Steele/Yonge have Cherry and Amano shrimp.

But your best bet for variety is at Menagerie, unless I get there first and buy up their supply I came away with 8 shrimp the last time I went and I plan to get a few more, especially the rhino/red nose shrimp.
Swervedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:10 AM   #20
lotus02
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

You will likely get there before me as we get up that way once or twice a month , maybe second week in March.
Better stop looking at marine fish , planted tanks are addictive enough , marine is like crack.
seriously if you want to see some nice tanks and get an idea about salt check out
http://aquariumpros.ca/index.php
Good place to check for lights and tanks their classifieds also have fresh water stuff too .
lotus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #21
Rabbit
Algae Grower

There's a relatively new big als in Oakville that carries a VERY nice assortment of plants. Definitely worthwhile taking a look.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #22
bred
Algae Grower

hi everyone,

I've been looking for Stargrass everywhere, with no luck. Does anyone have any in a tank from which they'd be able to send me some clippings? Or has anyone seen any in any stores... Thanks in advance!
Old 03-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #23
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Fish & Plants in GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bred
hi everyone,

I've been looking for Stargrass everywhere, with no luck. Does anyone have any in a tank from which they'd be able to send me some clippings? Or has anyone seen any in any stores... Thanks in advance!
Looks like I'll be making a trip to Oakville next week, Bred (thanks Rabbit!). I'll check on the Stargrass for you! I'll be happy to grab some - let me know.

Kathy
GTApuffgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #24
bred
Algae Grower

hey GTApuffgal,
That would be excellent, thanks a lot!
The Mississauga Big Al's has been hurting for plants lately... I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Oakville location. Cheers!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:11 PM   #25
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have to make a run to Barrie in the a.m... Poo. Oakville on Tuesday! I'll let you know how I make out. I'll be getting some Stargrass for myself (if they have it), so I'll grab extra if I find it!

Kathy
Old 03-07-2005, 03:40 AM   #26
bred
Algae Grower

That would be amazing, thanks!
Let me know if you are successful and we can something out. I'm a public-transit-bound student in downtown T.O. so it would probably have to go through the mail. I'd be happy to paypal you the cost of just a few stems and shipping/labour, though.

I'd also be curious to hear what their FW puffer stock is like... Happy hunting!
Old 03-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #27
AustinL
Algae Grower

Good Day all

Just a FYI the Big Al's Aquarium Services at Yonge and Steeles just got a large plant order in, some very good stuff all nice and fresh, just picked up some H Cuba, and alot more.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #28
bred
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tip. Either Monday or Tuesday is shipment day for Big Al's... I can't remember, have to ask the gf. Anyway, the Yonge and Steeles locations seems pretty accessible by TTC; I'll have to make a trip next paycheque.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #29
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey all! Bred, I didn't make it to Oakville yet... However, I went to Big Al's at Yonge & Steeles today. Only Puffers I saw were Green Spotted. Don't know if that is what you are looking for, but they sure are adorable! No Stargrass... They did have a lot of nice plants though. I got a Hygro Difformis and two Hygro Corymbosa for 2.99 each - good-sized healthy plants and an as yet unidentified Rotala - gorgeous - maybe Rotundiflora? - for 4.99. Blew through PJ's in Brampton on the way (okay, not EXACTLY on the way...) home and they had quite few different swords 2/10.00. I'm still trying to get to Oakville and Bred, I'm watching for Stargrass! Hubby has to go downtown several times a week so I figure if I snag some we can set up a rendezvous!

Kathy
Old 03-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #30
bred
Algae Grower

Thanks for the update, Kathy! I appreciate your help...

In the puffer department, I'm on the lookout for a pair of South American Puffers (Colomesus asellus) for my girlfriend, and a T. palembangensis for myself. When the imports are back in season, I'll probably have to put in some special orders... At least for the palembang.