Fish & Plants in GTA
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Canada

Old 02-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fish & Plants in GTA

I hope I am posting this in the right area! I would like to hear from folks in the GTA about where you like to go for your fish - but mostly for plants. I have been all over and nobody seems to have much of a selection - much less any that don't look half dead... I'm pretty much okay on fish, but I'd still like to hear about new places!

Thanks!
Kathy

Last edited by GTApuffgal; 02-09-2005 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: spelling error - how anal is that?
GTApuffgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
selena
Algae Grower

Default plants in the GTA

I have found some nice plants at Aquarium Services warehouse Outlet in Kitchener, they have plants from Tropica, ive been turned off there fish though, I dont think purple, green, pink and blue, blood parrots are very cool!
There is a new super pet location in kitchener that has some nice plants, i got a red tiger lotus, that is amazing, and PJ's in missasaga, in Square one mall, has some nice stuff, as well as a good selection of Discus.
selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Gta

Thanks so much for your recommendations - I really appreciate it! I'll have to check out Aquarium Services in Kitchener although I'll stay away from the fish, I'm in your camp there...

Kind of had a similar experience at PJs in Brampton. I made it to the aquarium section and there wasn't much of a selection of fish - although they looked pretty good, but they had a lot of what appeared to be healthy plants. I had a time of it getting past the row upon row of designer "purebred" puppies though - they were all dirty and lethargic and the place stunk of "filthy kennel." I had to get outta there. Hopefully I can find another good source. The puppy mill trade sickens me...

Oops - hijacked my own thread! Keep the recs coming folks! And thanks again, Selena.

Kathy
Old 02-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
selena
Algae Grower

No problem, its nice to know there are other fish people in the area.
selena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
thezone
Algae Grower

try the the menagerie located in cabbage town. Their website is themenagerie.ca
thezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Fish & Plants in GTA

I think I may check out The Menagerie tomorrow! Thank you!

Kathy
Old 02-12-2005, 04:17 AM   #7
Rosko_22
Planted Member

I second that recommendation for the Menagerie. They're a small shop, but depending on your timing they can have a decent selection.

I'd also recommend Aquarium Services on Kennedy, North of Lawrence. If you go on a good day, they've got quite a few tanks loaded with plants.
Rosko_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:26 PM   #8
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ooooh, thanks y'all - this is just what I needed!

Kathy
Old 02-15-2005, 02:03 AM   #9
Blinky
Algae Grower

I buy most of my fish, plants and supplies at the Big Al's on Kennedy. It's a long way from home, but their stock is generally healthy, the staff is knowledgeable, and the selection is good.
I've also found some nice plants and fish at PJ's in the Yorkdale mall - last time I was there they had some absolutely gorgeous Crypts and charged me next to nothing for the plants I bought. This PJs won some major brownie points with me during that visit - I was looking for some tetras, and when I asked a staff member for a few he told me he'd prefer not to sell them as they'd just been shipped a few days prior. I left the fish in the store, and told him I appreciated his honesty and concern for the health of the fish. He lost the sale of a few dollars worth of fish, and gained a loyal customer.
I've never been to the Menagerie, but since this is the second place I've seen it recommended, I think I'm going to have to check it out!
1g pico planted: 13W PC, Excel, fine gravel, Red Sea nano filter

Detailed tank specs
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 04:21 AM   #10
Harloprillalar

IMHO, Big Al's (aka Aquarium Services Warehouse) chain carries the best quality (and usually variety also) plants with consistency, though a little pricey at times. If you get lucky you may come across a small hobbyist shop here or there (haven't seen any recently) that will occasionally carry batches of great stuff at dirt cheap prices. Unfortunately, most of the time the converse is true - they sell overpriced trash. Ditto for all the multi-pet stores (e.g. PetSmart, SuperPet, PJ's etc.). The only time I ever bought anything there were fresh shipments that hadn't had a chance to be destroyed by utter negligence. In fact, I buy all my tank supplies at Big Al's save for the very basic necessities (e.g. filter material, tubing, airstones etc.). Double points day is Wednesday!

P.S. If you go to www.aquariumservices.com, you can look up the store location closest to you and whatever you are looking for in the catalogue.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:11 PM   #11
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Finally made it to the Menagerie today. Definitely check it out, Blinky! I'm in Bolton and it was worth the drive (and finding parking for my gi-normous truck!) They had virtually all the plants I am wanting and they looked pretty good. Also - haven't seen anything but Ghost shrimp anywhere I've looked and Menagerie had Cherries, Amanos, Bumble Bees, the kid kept going on the shrimp list - some I've never heard of! Lots of Cichlids. Several types of Puffers (I've only seen saltwater and dwarfs around here.) The staff was friendly and helpful and they didn't have my 6 gallon Nanocube, but said to call or come by during the week and speak with Harold and if it's gettable - he'll get it for me.

All kinds of cool critters there...

Kathy
Old 02-23-2005, 04:19 AM   #12
bred
Algae Grower

Menagerie is quite nice; has that feel of a family business.
Their plant selection disappoints me somewhat, though, and I've been let down by their customer service once, but in general the staff know their facts and are friendly.

I do my shopping at the Big Al's out in Mississauga. I live right downtown, so it's a bit of commute, though.

I totally BOYCOTT the "Downtown Pet Centre" in Chinatown. Horrendous prices; poor treatment of fish which tend to be heavily medicated and improperly cared for, at least as far as puffers are concerned.
bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:19 AM   #13
bred
Algae Grower

Quote:
Several types of Puffers
Hmmm. I wonder what kind of puffers they had in?
I'll have to check them out this weekend.
bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:45 AM   #14
AustinL
Algae Grower

I have also had a hard time finding plants, being in the thornhill area, but I got the urge to take a long drive and hit the Aquarium Services in Oakville and I have to say I was quite impressed with there plants selection, I found many plants that my local store steeles and finch and the kennedy/mississauge stores didnt have and from my frequency of visit never have had. I was told the guy who does the plant orders is into planted tanks so I am guessing that is a big reason for there vast selection.

Maybe we should all get some trades going, hard finding people in the GTA on message boards.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #15
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bred
Hmmm. I wonder what kind of puffers they had in?
I'll have to check them out this weekend.
I believe they were juvenile Figure 8s and Spotted??? They seemed healthy, happy, gregarious little dudes to me!

Guess I may have to check out Oakville, Austin...

Kathy