DirtLand -10g- - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #16
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

i personally never mineralize and find it to be a waste of time. its going to get mineralized eventually in your tank anyways.
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
i personally never mineralize and find it to be a waste of time. its going to get mineralized eventually in your tank anyways.
Same here. Although I used Miracle grow organic not just regular top soil.

Where do you buy those lights? Is there a specific type? Curious because I have looked before at walmart and didn't see any. Didn't really shop anywhere else (It wasn't that big of a concern at the time) can i pick one up at HD or menards?
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
Where do you buy those lights? Is there a specific type? Curious because I have looked before at walmart and didn't see any. Didn't really shop anywhere else (It wasn't that big of a concern at the time) can i pick one up at HD or menards?
Yep...HD or lowes or any general hardware store should have them. They're general work lights. If you have a choice between 2 pick the one with the wider reflector... it's the 150 watt one.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #19
ReluctantHippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJack View Post
Thanks! Very good info!

On APC they talk about spreading the soil over a tarp, soaking it and letting it dry out. Then repeat the process like 4 times to mineralize it. I didn't know if that was necessary or not. I didn't end up doing it so I was wondering what effect it would have. Guess it's not a big deal at all. Thanks

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/?p=vB52554
Very interesting article but I have a feeling he was slightly confused coming back from that conference. Mineralization occurs very slowly. You can ramp the process up by making sure your carbon and nitrogen ratios are correct and upping the heat/O2 rates but even then it takes a long long time and you would never want to allow the soil to fully dry at any period. My organic veggie gardens was amended this season and is watered and left to dry every day and it wont all be mineralized for years even with the high bacteria content of naturally amended soil (versus the low bacteria content of potting soil).

Soaking and draining would leech out much of the mineralized (fast release) nitrogen which would drastically help cut down initial algae breakouts and should help with tannins. The amending with clay and lime makes sense as well. Crazy how one very practical article has incorrectly informed so many when it comes to that one point.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #20
Bahugo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJack View Post
Yep...HD or lowes or any general hardware store should have them. They're general work lights. If you have a choice between 2 pick the one with the wider reflector... it's the 150 watt one.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
What type of bulb are you using? A compact? Can I put a compact in the incandescent fixture?
Fraternity of dirt #8
Bahugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #21
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahugo View Post
What type of bulb are you using? A compact? Can I put a compact in the incandescent fixture?
Yep, a cfl will work in there no problem. You can choose any bulb you want. That chart earlier in the thread might help you decide. 14w,19w,23w are all pretty common cfl bulbs. It just depends on how much light you want to have. I'm using a 23w(@ 14.5" above substrate gives me ~75-85 PAR) for now, with CO2. I might be tempting the algae gods , but we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #22
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantHippy View Post
Very interesting article but I have a feeling he was slightly confused coming back from that conference. Mineralization occurs very slowly. You can ramp the process up by making sure your carbon and nitrogen ratios are correct and upping the heat/O2 rates but even then it takes a long long time and you would never want to allow the soil to fully dry at any period. My organic veggie gardens was amended this season and is watered and left to dry every day and it wont all be mineralized for years even with the high bacteria content of naturally amended soil (versus the low bacteria content of potting soil).

Soaking and draining would leech out much of the mineralized (fast release) nitrogen which would drastically help cut down initial algae breakouts and should help with tannins. The amending with clay and lime makes sense as well. Crazy how one very practical article has incorrectly informed so many when it comes to that one point.
I'm glad you shared your expertise. Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #23
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Added some A. Reineckii & L. Arcuata. I think I'm done adding plants. Just need to let it cycle and then get me a paradise fish!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #24
Lil' Swimz$
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Your plants look great!

20g
Lil' Swimz$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #25
ReluctantHippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Haha, sorry, dirt gets me all excited.

Your plants look amazing. Keep up with the pretty pictures.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #26
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

love the top view
Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #27
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Love the look of the tank. Cambomba is a neat little plant, it grows in really nice too. If you get it under the flow it looks like it is flowing in a breeze.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:07 AM   #28
peyton
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

That red cabomba looks awesome.
peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #29
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
thats gold nesea

nesea pedicellata
quick question...have you kept this plant? Some pics I've seen it's orange-ish and others it's gold. Why does this happen?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #30
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

yes, i have kept it. i struggled with it for awhile, it grew distorted, pale and small. but then it grew great after adding extra calcium. it would get the orangish color the closer it got to the light. it also grew very slow.

you cant really see the orange color due to the nasty yellow light/ yellow water and my lack of camera skills.

Tags
cfl, dirt, el natural, npt, top soil