29g blackwater biotope- acuario de rio negro - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #16
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I was just going to warn you... The AGA judges are real picky about biotopes with wrong species. So watch yourself!
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 AM   #17
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

okay, thanks for the tip! do any of the species i have listed mess it up?
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #18
CobraGuppy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

The hardscape is looking nice ! Can't wait for when it's actually setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
i'm thinking indian almond leaves, because i cant think of any others.
Hmm, i've seen/heard of people using dried Oak leaves in the same fashion as IALs to create a leaf litter bottom, and for the tannin colored water effect.. but i'm not sure if Oak leaves are found in this biotope ?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:37 AM   #19
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

not sure indian almond leaves are found in this biotope either. good point! anybody have ideas? i'd love to have a leaf litter in this tank!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:37 AM   #20
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I would say it depends. lol If you go to this link http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_rio_sucasari.htm or this link http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_amazon_blackwater.htm They will give some examples. Without looking I can't personally say that a cardinal tetra and an angel fish are in the same water. Nor the otos and the bn. They might say, you shouldn't have used an albino bn. Who knows what the judges are thinking. I did look through every years biotope contest entries and this one judge on there was very critical about things.

I would say the cardinals and angels are ok and a regular bn. I don't know about the oto though. I'll read up some and try to help you figure it out.
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #21
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think they would care if it was oak leaves.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:40 AM   #22
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

thanks alot brad! thats helps alot! im going to bed now, but i'll read the links tomorrow. i might not do a BN pleco at all then. it depends i guess. i kind of wanted otos, because they help with some algae. maybe i'll just get a larger school of the cardinals and nix the otos and the pleco, unless i can find a regular BN pleco.

i remember jake saying that the one judge didnt like albino fish, another good call. thanks alot guys!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #23
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I don't think they would care if it was oak leaves.
you dont? would they care if it was IAL? i just want some kind of leaf litter.thats all
Old 07-18-2011, 05:00 AM   #24
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you go to this link http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_amazon_blackwater.htm I just looked through the fish and every fish that you wanted is on the list. bn pleco, oto, angel and cardinal, so your good to go.

Also, I read alot of comments from the judges on the biotopes for every tank and every year. All the people used oak leaves. So you are ok to do so, but I would not use indian almond leaves because they come from another continent. Unless you break them up into pieces so they can't tell what they are and you don't mention them as such. lol

Here is their profile. Send'em a message and they might have one for sale. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/me...oddnbecka.html
Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 AM   #25
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got my regular bn pleco from a user on here toddnbecka. Look them up they might still have some. great seller and great fish.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #26
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Biotope doesn't mean that the actual hardscape materials came from habitat in question. It really wouldn't be cool if aquarium keepers decimated natural environments just to recreate them at home.

For an accurate biotope, plants and fish should be correct for your area + habitat, but your materials just need to resemble what's actually found there. Either Indian or oak leaves would be fine.
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #27
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

thanks so much brad! you are helping me so much here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
Biotope doesn't mean that the actual hardscape materials came from habitat in question. It really wouldn't be cool if aquarium keepers decimated natural environments just to recreate them at home.

For an accurate biotope, plants and fish should be correct for your area + habitat, but your materials just need to resemble what's actually found there. Either Indian or oak leaves would be fine.
okay, thanks alot that makes me not have to worry about getting the correct leaves and such. woohoo! i'll just use IAL and break them up.

thanks guys. i didnt end up washing sand yesterday, but i'll go and try to get it done right now. lol!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #28
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

i am picking up all my fish from rachel. and im not sure if she has regular BN plecos. if she does, i'll get one, if not, i'd rather not ship them.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #29
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

subscribed
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #30
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
If you go to this link http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope_amazon_blackwater.htm I just looked through the fish and every fish that you wanted is on the list. bn pleco, oto, angel and cardinal, so your good to go.

Also, I read alot of comments from the judges on the biotopes for every tank and every year. All the people used oak leaves. So you are ok to do so, but I would not use indian almond leaves because they come from another continent. Unless you break them up into pieces so they can't tell what they are and you don't mention them as such. lol

Here is their profile. Send'em a message and they might have one for sale. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/me...oddnbecka.html
that link is the same as the one you gave in an earlier post. i opened both and they are exactly the same. and they both dont have otos or BN pleco. maybe you got the wrong link by accident in this post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.