PRSRocker's 75 Gallon Planted Angelfish Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-12-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

PRSRocker's 75 Gallon Planted Angelfish Tank

This tank used to be my old 75 gallon journal but it ended in a big algae mess and realized I made some mistakes along the way. I was still very new to it all. Now with much much more experience and knowledge, I decided to redo the whole tank. Plus my angelfish really appreciate a better looking tank, at least I think they do and they deserve one. Enough of the background information, lets get to the good stuff!

The tank was already running with old original flourite, a nice established canister, and some alage. All I needed to do was scrub it, drain it, swap the substrate, replant with new driftwood, and start over. No cycling occured so my Angels were happy with that!

The tank is a 75 gallon tank with the following specs:

Substrate: Flourite Black Sand (about 2 - 3 inches)

Lighting: 8 Hour photo period with an Aqueon 48" Triple T8 fixture:
(2) 32 watt GE Daylight Deluxe 6500k bulbs
(1) Aqueon 32 watt Floramax Bulb.
Also a DIY LED moonlight system just for fun! Used for about 2 hours after lights off.

Filtration: Rena XP3 and a Marineland Magnum 350 which is being used to drive my CO2 reactor plus extra filtration. Also have a Koralia 750 for extra circulation.

CO2: 5 lb Pressurized with Aquatek Regulator, drop checker with 4dkh solution. Still working on an actual working diffusion method...

Plants: Amazon Sword, Ozelot Sword, Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila sp. Tiger, various crypts (many various wendtii like bronze, green, tropica, plus other crypt species), Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia repens, Echinodorus tenellus (I think!), Anubias nana, Nymphaea sp., and frogbit floating. Possibly more to come with time.

Fish: 1 Phillipine Blue Pinoy Veiled Zebra Angelfish, 1 Phillipine Blue Platinum Marble Veiled Angelfish, 2 Phillipine Blue x Wild Peruvian Green Glitter (F2) Angelfish, 17 Rasbora Hets, 6 Cardinal Tetras, 9 Rummynose Tetras, 5 Otocinclus Catfish, and about 10 Red Spotted Nerite Snails.

Dosing and Maintenance: I dose with dry ferts. Currently dosing Macros once a week and Traces once a week. Dose size is equivelent to EI dosing but only dosing each once per week. Water change once a week usually around 30% to 50%.

I'll will post some pics up in the next post. So far the tank has been up for two to three weeks only so far. My CO2 diffusion methods have been not succesful yet. First tried a ceramic diffuser and the drop checker only would turn a shade of green, not too bright though. Then tried an 18" Rex Reactor but got small bubbles constantly and can't seem to get the drop checker above a dull green too. So now I'm in the process of building a Cerges Reactor now so we shall see.

Currently battling some diatoms but have otos and nerites for that. I also now have GSA forming and some BBA poking its head in on my Amazon Sword and driftwood. Currently dosing excel with recommend dosing according to bottle to try to prevent the BBA but so far I don't see any prevention.

Any tips, feedback, advice, or anything, please let me hear it! Pics coming up in a few minutes from iPhone 4. Then in the next few days I'll be busting out the digital camera for some much better pics!
Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)

Last edited by PRSRocker3390; 07-12-2011 at 09:02 PM..
PRSRocker3390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

Sorry again for the bad pics, it was last minute pics from my iPhone 4. I will take some pics tomorrow hopefully or ASAP with my digital camera and I promise to deliver some much much better pics.

Week 1, a few days after setup (6/11/11)

More to come soon....

Last edited by PRSRocker3390; 08-02-2011 at 02:42 AM..
Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #3
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

I have some new pictures. I believe I may up the dosing frequency soon since I think I'm seeing deficiencies. But so far everything is healthy and looking good.

Cerges reactor didn't go through. I couldn't seem to get the house filter to make a good seal on the hose barbs, kept getting leaks. Oh well, currently building another pvc reactor but with a 3" diameter.

So any feedback or comments? You can even just say you hate it but let me know what you think and any advice on scaping or plant ideas.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
chris.rivera3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (134/100%)

what is that foreground plant in the front left corner and front middle??? it looks like its taking over...lol
chris.rivera3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
Postal Penguin
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Tank looks great.

Did you try using hose clamps to get a good seal on the barbs? I have trouble getting off brand Eheim hose to seal onto my in-line heater, a simple hose clamp works great. Just make sure to not overtighten as you can crack the plastic.
Postal Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #6
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

Its a pretty dense carpet of just E. tenellus. Its a very happy plant!

Thanks Postal! I did try using clamps but to no avail. It leaks I believe from the threads but I used thread tape which works with everything else, just doesn't seem to make it leak proof this time.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #7
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rocker, your tank looks absolutely superb. Getting better by the week, I'm sure.
Great job, Congrats ! I love it.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #8
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

looks great! beautiful angels you've got there!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

Thanks a bunch Discuspaul! It does seem to get better each day!

Thanks orchid, I love my angelfish very much!

I'm thinking of eventually taking of the E. tenellus and replacing it with another foreground. Maybe staurogyne 049? Or something smaller and grassy. I feel like I should try something even like a patch of hc in the tank foreground just to see if it would do fine and take off. I like pushing my limits of what will grow in my tank with lower range lighting but with good co2 and frets.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

stauro would look great!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #11
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Tank looks awesome. I've got a 75g heavily planted and trying to get Staurogyne bit the Angels keep eating it. Either way it is barely filling in, but oats been awhile and everything else has taken off.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Your tank is looking great! its really come a long way in a short time. Im sure it will look like a jungle in there in no time
Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Dude and Chad320! Just had to trim it up today. Its becoming a jungle so fast even with the low light i'm running.

Yeah I think stauro would be nice. I want a foreground plant but this e.tenellus is just too wild and tall. I want something small but also will do well in lower light but with good ferts and nice co2 levels.

I agree with the angels eating plants, they seem to like only certain ones. Usually the ones I like of course! They are just trying their hand at rescaping the tank lol!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #14
PRSRocker3390
Wannabe Guru

Any suggestions on plants for the background. I love my Amazon sword but I am still not sold on the others. I want something that will be very full and go well with the sword. Any aquascaping ideas? I feel like some plant choices should be changed up.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #15
10galfornow
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

damn i like that black sand. i'm also digging the big angelfishes and the small tetra schools, you should get more tetras and it would look awesome!
10galfornow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.