Crystal Red Shrimp water temp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
Zmuda
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

Crystal Red Shrimp water temp?

I know the ideal water temp for the CRS are the low 70s, buy my tank won't go bellow 76-78. Should this effect them at all or no?
Zmuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #2
bigboij
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

they should be ok, some say they suffer from less coloring, but i have not see that to be the case.

mine are around that same temp during the day, and they are still breeding and acting just fine
SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
bigboij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, I think so... they're very sensitive to higher temperature and people report them dying after extended time in 78of. 76 would be pushing it... sorry Ideally, you want 70-73. But if you have low grades, they might be hardier.

My tank has reached 78 and my shrimp were fine. But it wasn't for long. I wouldn't keep them in 78of.
Senior Shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #4
honda237
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

i agree with senior, mine have hit 80F last saturday(if you keep up with the motocross world, it was the same day a professional motocrosser died because of over heating here in michigan), but it was around 100F outside. I always keep a block of frozen RO in the freezer just in case this happens, when it did, i added the block of ice to drop temps.
I've always been told that crs and tigers will slowly die off after 76F.
honda237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
asukawashere
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

They do slowly die in warmer temps. Occasionally they manage to breed before they kick the bucket, but it is bad for their health to be kept in warm temps. I wouldn't go any higher than 74 or so, but then again I keep all mine in my basement where it never gets warmer than that. Shrimp keepers in warmer climates report a lot of success with running a little desktop or clip-on fan over the water to promote heat loss through evaporation. Of course, that also means topping off the tank more often.
asukawashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
Zmuda
Planted Member

Strange. I just checked all my tanks temps and my two shrimp tanks are very class to each other but my ten gallon is a steady 74 but my 20 gallon is at the 76-78 mark. I'm gonna switch them tomorrow to see if where theyre at makes a difference. The 10 is on the bottom of a other tanks stand close to the floor and the 20 is on a nightstand.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (331/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

One of my colonies has slowly died in my bedroom.
To conserve $$$ the central AC is kept at 78 degrees, I wish I could drop it down to 74 but I can't.
I suggest you move your shrimp tanks to the coldest areas of your house.
I was able to do that and my colonies live on.

Only my Sakura colony doesn't give a rats butt about the temperature.

Sigh,
G
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
Zmuda
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrichards View Post
One of my colonies has slowly died in my bedroom.
To conserve $$$ the central AC is kept at 78 degrees, I wish I could drop it down to 74 but I can't.
I suggest you move your shrimp tanks to the coldest areas of your house.
I was able to do that and my colonies live on.

Only my Sakura colony doesn't give a rats butt about the temperature.

Sigh,
G
After reading all of this I'm thinking about moving this tank into the basement atleast until the winter or something. Damn not I gotta figure a way to move it down two flights of stairs tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

I agree with everyone. They will definitely not have a good time in hot water and will die from it. They just can't do it.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
leo1234
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

So what would be the ideal temp for crs's? I keep mine at or between 70 to 74.
Thanks.
leo1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
asukawashere
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

I definitely agree that the basement is the best place for bee shrimp (and all my other shrimp, and fish, LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo1234 View Post
So what would be the ideal temp for crs's? I keep mine at or between 70 to 74.
Thanks.
Ideally, I would say 68-73. That said, they don't mind temps even lower than that. I had a heater fail over the winter and my CRS got down to 60 for a day or so. Didn't lose a single one, not even a shrimplet. They actually seemed pretty darn happy in it.
asukawashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

im not sure but i def think higher 70s is no good. i just had one of my three CRS SSS die off this morning... SO UPSET.

the temperatures around my area hit 90s for the first time i think in a while and raised my tank temperature to 80 - no one is home so i can't leave the AC on either

i suspected something when i saw that one had molted but he wouldn't come out of his cave! i threw some food in and he still stayed away...

this is a problem because i have a package of CRS coming tomorrow and my tank consistently goes up to 80 during the day i'm not home.

i was thinking of just using a small desktop fan which definitely helps but, i don't particularly like the idea of leaving the fan on the whole day when im not home - might be a fire risk or something...
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #13
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
im not sure but i def think higher 70s is no good. i just had one of my three CRS SSS die off this morning... SO UPSET.

the temperatures around my area hit 90s for the first time i think in a while and raised my tank temperature to 80 - no one is home so i can't leave the AC on either

i suspected something when i saw that one had molted but he wouldn't come out of his cave! i threw some food in and he still stayed away...

this is a problem because i have a package of CRS coming tomorrow and my tank consistently goes up to 80 during the day i'm not home.

i was thinking of just using a small desktop fan which definitely helps but, i don't particularly like the idea of leaving the fan on the whole day when im not home - might be a fire risk or something...
A fans no more of a fire risk by falling into the water than lights falling in, or having your co2 tank explode. lol. I have a steel grate over the top of my tank on my hood and I took some computer fans, wired them to a 12v adapater with a switch and let them run. My tank gets upto 80c with out, down to 70c with, so I keep the heater set about 72c so it kicks in a bit here and there to keep it around 72c.
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
Zmuda
Planted Member

Just moved my whole setup down in my basement. Hopefully it will cool down
Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

You could also float bottles of frozen water during the day to bring down the temp. That's what I do.