How do i fishless cycle?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
kizzabennett
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How do i fishless cycle?

Hi, How do i fishless cycle?
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Read the section on "Cycling the Aquarium" in my Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus in the simplydiscus.com forum. Here's the link:
http://www.forum.simplydiscus.com/sh...ed-with-Discus
It'll give you step by step directions.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (255/100%)

Add plants and do routine water changes, never any issues in 35 years and I've bred many species.
Use old sponges and media from established tanl, old tank water to seed new tank etc.

Stock slowly and do basic maintenance, there never has been a reason to really do FC. I fail to see any need or reason to do it in the hobby.

So many suggest it without thinking it through.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Not everyone has access to seeded media, old tank water, or plants that have come from an established tank. If someone feels more comfortable doing a fishless cycle I see no reason to discourage it.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Here are a few more links to help you out:

http://www.algone.com/aquarium-artic...shless-cycling

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...cle/Page1.html

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
kizzabennett
Algae Grower

how do i preform a fishless cycle?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjo View Post
Not everyone has access to seeded media, old tank water, or plants that have come from an established tank. If someone feels more comfortable doing a fishless cycle I see no reason to discourage it.
Agree wholeheartedly !
And there are several other very good reasons to do so, no to mention the ultimate safety of the method, as far as your fish stock is concerned.
And btw, for those anti-fishless cycling, old tank water in & by itself will do absolutely nothing to assist in building a bio-filtration colony. Old tank water has insignificant, or NO, bb in it at all.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Gravel, plastic plants and other items from a cycled tank will have BB but I agree, water has very little to no BB on it and if its coming from a fully cycled tank, the only thing it will have is nitrates which will do nothing to the tank but help build up nitrate levels faster.

I find the best way is use media from another filter, take a canister filter and squeeze out some sponges onto the new filter, brown sludge from the bottom, that's good too.

You can try and find someone in your area that has a good filter running that would give you a few squeezes. lol.
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
jdm68
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzabennett View Post
how do i preform a fishless cycle?
You have several answers. Use the links.
jdm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Add plants and do routine water changes, never any issues in 35 years and I've bred many species.
Use old sponges and media from established tanl, old tank water to seed new tank etc.

Stock slowly and do basic maintenance, there never has been a reason to really do FC. I fail to see any need or reason to do it in the hobby.

So many suggest it without thinking it through.

I myself dont cycle my tanks fishless. adding a small amount of ur gravel from a cycled tank to ur filter or to a new tank creates rapid bacterial growth since the new tank doesnt have competing growth. my sons tank cycled in 3 days with fish by me soaking a filter pad in the water. it was a 10 gallon low bio load but ive cycled my 29 gallon the same

each has their own method, neither is wrong, one just takes less tiime
Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Fishless Cycling

Hello kizza...

A few years ago I did it like this: Got a large tank, light, substrate, power filter, heater and air pump with an air stone. I set it up, filled it and planted it real well. I turned everything on and let it run for a month. I didn't do anything else. Except, I did admire my planting job. Anyway, after 30 days, I bought a few small guppies and I was done.

That was a few years ago, seven tanks and several hundred Fancy Guppies and assorted Corydoras later.

Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.

B
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
Miira
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

As long as you stock it slowly, you shouldn't need to fishless cycle. I also keep guppies, and bought 1 male and 3 females and I let them breed the tank full.
Miira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:04 AM   #13
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com

Quote:
Here are a few more links to help you out:

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php
This one contains all the info you will need, IMO. Good find wendyjo. Not sure about the other two, only familiar with this 1. Good luck.

Almost forgot, LOTS of people add their fish, just a few, after filling and allowing their tank to run for two days and have been very successful. Be careful not to add too much food though. Watch and make sure the fish eat the majority of it. After 3 or 4 weeks you should be able to add the rest of your inhabitants, as long as you aren't adding 20 fish. That could be fatal. If you are adding that many you need to add a little at a time, 5 or so, every week. Do not do what most people do and get fish you dont want in order to cycle your tank.

If you are hellbent on fishless cycling just add some food to the tank. Do 30% wc's a week and add some more food and after 3 or 4 weeks you should be ready. Don't forget to do an 80% wc 2 days before you get your fish.
The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.

Last edited by tonytrout2001@hotmail.com; 07-06-2011 at 03:29 PM..
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #14
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
This IS a planted Forum
Sort of goes with the territory.

I can sell water sprite, I cannot sell the end products of Nh4 too easily in liquid form. Cost about the same as NH3.

If you live anywhere NEAR a LFS, there's old tank water, there's seed media.
Since few live so far out.......that they cannot get to it.........it's not likely......and plants can easily be mailed and plant roots are loaded with bacteria.

Water changes, Good habits, vs playing with a cycle that will take about 1-2 months seems like a simpler and better method no matter what mud you can sling at the plants, basic care for the aquarium.

Once the fish are there, the bacteria levels level off anyway. You gain little even without the plants.

Toss some fish food in there, do not do a water change for a 1 month, then do a few big ones, then add fish.

Why complicate it?

Why not use plants like floating water sprite?

I am not one for dogma, and this is one of topics that smacks of it.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #15
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Agree wholeheartedly !
And there are several other very good reasons to do so, no to mention the ultimate safety of the method, as far as your fish stock is concerned.
And btw, for those anti-fishless cycling, old tank water in & by itself will do absolutely nothing to assist in building a bio-filtration colony. Old tank water has insignificant, or NO, bb in it at all.
Safety?

Did I suggest putting fish in without good frequent water changes?
Hows about after the FC is done?

Then what? No water changes?

Water changes are easy and a good ethic to have regarding fish and their health, and it's a darn good idea to have new folks in PLANTED tanks to do this for the first 1-2 months, ADA, myself, many others strongly suggest this.

Old dirty tank water works dandy, ultra clean water, maybe not.......dirty filter water is perfect however. It adds PRECISELY water is missing from a mature established filter.

It does not get any faster and better than that.

Plant roots are covered with bacteria as well, and the plants directly remove and sequester NH4 waste from fish=> the silent cycle.

You pro fishless cycling folks do realize that this is a planted forum correct???? Water changes, zeolite, there are many simple solutions that do not require test kits or NH3. Nor that take 1-2 months (That alone makes the suggestion much easier and faster).

Who likes to test NH3, NO2 and NO3?
Anyone get into the hobby to do that?