1st timer wanting a low light co2 29 Gal - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #16
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Here are two really nice Dual stage regulators for sale that I just came across over at APC. All you will need to complete the gas system is a Solenoid (if you want to run the co2 on a timer), a Needle valve and a co2 tank.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...egulators.html
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #17
btimmer92
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)

yah, those regulators from maknwar are top notch, just add a post body kit to complete it. (click on the link below)

btimmer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #18
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimmer92 View Post
yah, those regulators from maknwar are top notch, just add a post body kit to complete it. (click on the link below)
Very nice. I had no idea you were building post body kits. I am going to bookmark your thread and use it when someone is in the same situation as the OP here. Keep up the god work!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #19
maknwar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Very nice. I had no idea you were building post body kits. I am going to bookmark your thread and use it when someone is in the same situation as the OP here. Keep up the god work!
Bsmith, your sale threads are like right under each others, lol.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:31 AM   #20
btimmer92
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)

lol, and thanks bsmith!

btimmer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
ktownhero
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Under Gravel Filters are an archaic technology that have no valuable application in today's aquarium hobby. Other methods of modern filtration have surpassed them in every possible way.
ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by maknwar View Post
Bsmith, your sale threads are like right under each others, lol.
Yeah but I only see things that im interested in. It's not until I stumble upon something like this that I realize its there. Im always looking for neat new plants. The post body's I have will likely outlast me so I havent been in the market. But now I think he can help me streamline my set ups with some hardware.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #23
Sarasota
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the great information guys, I have PM'd a couple of you about parts and getting set up.

I just wanted to say something about the undergravel comment. Other than my last 7 year break from the hobby/business, I have had tanks for about 30 years. I remember the box filter days with carbon on the bottom and floss on the top.

Granted some of the canister filters are great but.. I am sorry, you really don't need them and you really do not benefit from them. In my holding facility we were using sponge tubes about 8 inches long that were simply inserted into a cosmetic jar that was filled with shell grit and an airstone. These home-made filters workd fine in a 50 gallon holding tank with 2000 tetras, add another if the fish were a bit bigger.

Same goes with undergravels.. talk about simple and effective. The commercial design we had for large tank bays was a 160 gallon tank that had a 4 inch sump with 15 inches of bioballs on the top. Insanely effective biological filter. It worked the same way as an undergravel did.

Granted an Ehiem is a nice filter but totally not necessary, especially in a planted tank with 20 inch long fish and a few shrimp. I see that as a waste of money.

Now I am not trying to argue if a planted tank should or should not use an undergravel but I would like to toss this out for consideration.

If all you were cultivating were java ferns and mosses and perhaps a small foreground plant that would never sink roots deeper than 2-3 inches... and you had 3-4 inches of substrate like the clay from Seachem.. Then what honestly would be the problem with an undergravel? They do keep the substrate form going anerobic and I would think this would aid in the healthy breakdown of wastes and be beneficial to shallow rooted plants.

I think sometimes we think "basic" does not work well. But just like these regulators, you do not need the word "fluval" on it to have a really high quality product that delivers the gas you need in the amount you need..

Just my two cents on the filtration issue... Thanks for reading
Sarasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
caique
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Aquariumplants.com has one of the best electronic regulators you can buy very simple to use without any headaches.
caique is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, new tank setup, plant reccomendations