The hardies plant... EVER?!?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-02-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
numbah84
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

The hardies plant... EVER?!?

So I have a 55 gallon with 80 watts of t12 flourescents on there. and i want to know what is the good plant to put in there? I don't want to do any dosing or co2 injection. also i have normal gravel. And worst of all there are 6 south american cichlids in there most are around 5 inches but the male in a breeding pair of jack dempseys is going on 6.5-7 inches now. so whats the verdict a plant that can handle big cichlids, low light and no dosing besides fish poo? lets see
numbah84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
robbowal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

numbah84
I am sure you are aware that cichlids like to rearrange their living quarters at the drop of a hat.You may spend more time replanting them or replacing them.
I have kept large cichlids before and any plants I put in with them seem to be pot luck, they leave them alone for ages then one morning you wake up to devastation (just seems to be moody fish) mine were Texas cichlids and green terrors.
robbowal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #3
lexbomb
Algae Grower

Pretty much none.i have a cichlid tank also.java moss is impossible to kill and cichlids won't eat it but they will rip it up in 10000little pieces.they also won't eat hairgrass but they will rip it up. I chuck all my off cuts from my planted tank in the cichlid tank, they will eat or tear up everything. I even had a 13in oscar once that chewed its way through the power cord on a heater and electrocuted himself

Beaten by rob^^
lexbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Java ferns, Java moss, Anacharis, African fern, Anubias nana to name a few that are quite hardy.
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
lexbomb
Algae Grower

I know that mine eat java fern and anubias
lexbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
numbah84
Algae Grower

alright thanks guys. in the past ive only used those petco plants they sell in plastic wrap and those never do well. So im gonna try the ferns and anacharis for the ground and the moss for the slate I have in there. Im hoping they can take enough root before the fish get all butt hurt about them and try to do there own aqua scaping. So where do you guys think is the best place to buy plants?

thanks
Old 07-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah84 View Post
alright thanks guys. in the past ive only used those petco plants they sell in plastic wrap and those never do well. So im gonna try the ferns and anacharis for the ground and the moss for the slate I have in there. Im hoping they can take enough root before the fish get all butt hurt about them and try to do there own aqua scaping. So where do you guys think is the best place to buy plants?

thanks
Swap-n-Shop section on here is awesome. LOTS of good people selling, or even giving away, some really nice plants.
The Fraternity of Dirt #15
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7 Check me out. 10g Rimless. My 105g Journal. 105g YTubeAction ETnAC President.
tonytrout2001@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah84 View Post
... in the past ive only used those petco plants they sell in plastic wrap and those never do well...
Most of the plants sold that way are not aquatic plants, and don't do well under water.

As pointed out by others, there are very few plants that are going to survive with large cichlids. I realise this is almost considered heretical, but this may be a case where plastic plants are your best option.
DaveK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
Optix
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

you just have to know what youre looking at...Ive found that Petcos and Petsmarts sell truly aquatic Java Fern, Crypt and Amazon Sword varieties...but you have to do your research

Ive always heard Java Ferns go over well with cichlids...but never kept them
ΔΙΡΤ Fraternity, Inc. #33
Optix is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
dwc13
Planted Member

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/plants_101.php
Old 07-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
JSA
Algae Grower

Optix, that is an evil little image!
JSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
numbah84
Algae Grower

sthanks for all the help guys. Im gonna go with the java fern and java moss after i did some research. thanks again for all the help.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
robbowal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

numbah84

Most of this kind of destructive behaviour is down to preperation for breeding. the male will normally prepare the area for spawning and this involves clearing it or digging a pit. and the females are fussy and may refuse a site so he will dig a few all over the tank. I am sure you have seen this with your breeding pair already.

Robert
robbowal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 02:46 AM   #14
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

you can avoid the fish rescaping by keeping the plants in their pots or grow them in clay pots.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
numbah84
Algae Grower

kamikazi that actually sounds great. i could do some potting soil below topped wit sand in the pots and then i could grow plants without the shredding my the dempseys. So I f I went this route what is the best plant for clearing the water? I want to keep the tank healthy for spawns, so in a dirt topped by sand pot what is the best things to put in there.

Tags
amazing, awesome, cichlid, hardy, plant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.