Rotala Indica how do I get it pink - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-08-2005, 12:57 AM   #16
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Shalu did not call it Rotala pink... he said there are other varieties and I believe that. The original poster Anthony called it "pink" (unintentionally I imagine) but Shalu only pointed out the belief of the different varieties.

The leaf patterns mentioned alone that I have seen make me wonder what the proper ID is on them...
Any Rotala experts out there ? Any Botanists ? Maybe you could hash it out at the next meeting you go to and get some opinions...

Old 02-08-2005, 12:59 AM   #17
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I've had rotundifolia given to me by a friend, and also bought what was sold as indica. The rotundifoia I got was very pale pink/orange and the indica was nearly blood red (looked like R magenta). However, after several weeks in my tank it all looked the same. Now it all grows with green lower stems that get pink/orange tips as it nears the surface (under hight light).

I can't attribute the pink/orange coloration to low NO3 since I typically have 10-20ppm of NO3 along with 1.5-2ppm of PO4. And i don't dose Fe except for what's in TMG (20ml 3x week in my 125g tank).
Old 02-08-2005, 01:01 AM   #18
shalu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I don't really disagree with above statements by Mike. But your original statement makes it sound like, there is one and only cultivar/variant of r. rotundifolia(implying they will all look the same under the same conditions), which is not true. From a practical view point, without a real proper name, how would you expect people to ask questions on a specific cultivar, like, "How do I get my supposed-to-be-red-leaved-rotala-rotundifolia to look red?"

Bill, I know you got your supposed-to-be-red one from FloridaDriftwood. I got the red one from Ocean aquarium. It was and is different from the regular rotundifolia.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2005, 01:07 AM   #19
Aftica
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think there is 2.. but not really the same variation etc... I went to Tropica's website and looked at the stuff below... the picture looks like they are similar - and the color is explained in the text etc...

Rotala sp. ''Green'' and Rotala rotundifolia

As per Tropica's website... regarding Rotala rotundifolia

The Latin name means ''the plant with the round leaves''. But this only applies to the marsh variety, which has circular leaves. In aquariums Rotala rotundifolia has long, thin leaves. Unlike other Rotala species it is relatively undemanding, although it needs good light to produce red leaves. It forms side shoots willingly, becoming compact and bushy. This also means that it is hard for light to reach the lower leaves, so the plant should be pruned frequently. Also known as Rotala indica.

As per Tropica's website... regarding Rotala sp. ''Green''

Growth and appearance similar to Rotala rotundifolia, but leaves are lighter green even when light is relatively good.
Aftica is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2005, 01:50 AM   #20
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

The original title of the thread was "Rotala indica "Pink"". Rotala indica and Rotala rotundifolia are two different plants.

If we take a moment to reexamine my first post:
Quote:
Rotala indica "Pink" implies that there is another variety of Rotala indica. I am pretty sure there is not.

The plant you have Anthony is Rotala rotundifolia. According to Kasslemann, Rotala indica really isn't very common in the hobby at all.
My comments were initially about Rotala indica a plant of which there is only one known cultivar, that being Rotala indica. I have never seen Rotala indica, never mind Rotala indica "Pink".

I told Anthony the plant he had was Rotala rotundifolia. I probably should have told him the plant he had was more than likely Rotala rotundifolia, since I haven't actually seen the plant he actually has.

However, I am not sure where I argued there was a single form of Rotala rotundifolia? I have you guys coming at me from all sides about Rotala rotunidfolia pointing out to me me the different varieties you have growing and have read about and I have never disputed that fact! There are two varieties in my oriental aquarium book! Where did you guys come up with my arguing a single variety of rotala rotundifolia?

I only disputed the creations of plant names. I am glad Shalu has seen my point on that subject!

Quote:
From a practical view point, without a real proper name, how would you expect people to ask questions on a specific cultivar, like, "How do I get my supposed-to-be-red-leaved-rotala-rotundifolia to look red?
From a practical standpoint, I would expect someone to ask "How do I get my Rotala rotundifolia/Rotala indica (if they actually have that plant) redder?"

I would love some of the plant that was and is different than the "regular" rotundifolia for myself!

Mike
Old 02-08-2005, 02:05 AM   #21
shalu
Wannabe Guru

OK, did not pay attention to the part you were stressing "indica" and "rotundifolia". My bad. But honestly, are you expecting people to use "rotundifolia" only? I think you are fighting a losing battle, because these two words have been used way too interchangebly in this hobby, even Amano the Meister himself. And people buy it from the store/online labelled as indica.

So Mike, would it be more agreeable to you if the original poster used
"rotala rotundifolia 'pink'"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
From a practical standpoint, I would expect someone to ask "How do I get my Rotala rotundifolia/Rotala indica (if they actually have that plant) redder?"

Mike
There lies the problem. In this incarnation of the question, there is no differentiation which cultivar we are talking about, there is NO hope of getting the more common rotundifolia to be as blood red as the "red" cultivar CAN be no matter how hard you try, I bet $1 on that. I am just using this as an example, the original poster talked about pink not exactly sure which one he was referring to either.
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:46 AM   #22
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Sorry to have started all this. I was just wondering how to give it more of the pink to red look? It has 3 leaves per whorl. Bottom half is red, but the tops have grown green.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2005, 03:12 AM   #23
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Quote:
So Mike, would it be more agreeable to you if the original poster used
"rotala rotundifolia 'pink'"?
Nope. Still "creating" a variant.

There are still only two known varieties on the books.

I had Rotala rotundifolia and the color of the plant depended on the conditions in the aquarium. High nitrates = less color, lower nitrates = more color. The plant's color changed with the water parameters. I'll see if I can scare up some photos!

Anthony, you didn't create any problems. I enjoy talking about plants, as does Shalu!

Mike
Old 02-08-2005, 03:30 AM   #24
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I had Rotala rotundifolia and the color of the plant depended on the conditions in the aquarium. High nitrates = less color, lower nitrates = more color. The plant's color changed with the water parameters.

Mike
That's given for many plants, including this one, or two My point was, I always have them side by side(like 1 inch apart ), sure, their color would both change depending on what and how much I dump into the tank, but at ANY GIVEN MOMENT, they are always different, never the same. Sounds like Buck had the same experience.

Nope, Anthony, you did not create any problems. It just gave us some excuse to dribble about plants .
---------------------
Old 02-08-2005, 03:33 AM   #25
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Could you have both R. routundifolia and R. indica?

Mike
Old 02-08-2005, 03:37 AM   #26
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Could you have both R. routundifolia and R. indica?

Mike
I have no idea. Tom Barr claims that he has the TRUE indica, so maybe one of these days I am going to haggle him to give me a few stems.
---------------------
Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 AM   #27
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Do it! Then you can compare and we will all know for sure!

Mike
Old 02-08-2005, 03:59 AM   #28
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Do it! Then you can compare and we will all know for sure!

Mike
Alrighty, Sir Mike. I am going to put a request to him before the next club plant swap, which will be a month or two away. wait, is it on the fed/CA obnoxious weed list? If so, I don't think he is going to do it, because his day job is "Weed police" for the state of california
---------------------
Old 02-08-2005, 05:06 AM   #29
Opiesilver
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are the recognized varities that I know of;

Rotala indica
Rotala macranda
Rotala macranda var. Green
Rotala macranda var. Green Narrow
Rotala macranda var. Narrow Leaf
Rotala macranda var. Small Leaf
Rotala macranda var. Verigated
Rotala najean
Rotala najean var. Pearl
Rotala rotundifolia var. Green
Rotala wallichii
Rotala wallichii var. Long Leaf

RH at AquaBotanic may know of a few that I don't. He works with a few different nurseries that I do.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:22 PM   #30
shalu
Wannabe Guru

Opiesilver, we are not talking about different species of rotala. Mainly rotundifolia.
Rotala indica from aquariumplants.com is actually the most common form of Rotala rotundifolia in the US. I know, I got it from you guys.
---------------------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.