Walstad Shrimp bowls (56K) Updated 12/7/12 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #16
latnem
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah nice bowls. Threads like this and the walstad article you linked inspired me to make my first bowl! It was fun and I'm already thinking of doing a second one.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #17
firefiend
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Awesome bowls! I have a 2.5 gallon hurricane vase that I keep a betta in... I'm planning on NPTing it soon.

btw... remember when we had the Commodore 64 and were totally in awe, and then the 128 came out we all said, "128k memory... how can we possible need that much!"
firefiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #18
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Got some rcs for my bowls today thanks to wingsdlc. They immediately started going around the bowls munching on algae and such.

I will try to get some pics in the next couple of days
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #19
Ryan10517
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
yeh I tried to collect smaller plants. there were some big ones out there. Think it would grow in a 16" tall tank?
it might outgrow a 16" tall tank. Actually, i'm not sure how well it does completely submerged, as i have only seen it growing marginally in the wild. I've seen some s. latifolia pushing 3 feet tall. I say its worth a try. maybe they will have more delicate different looking leaves if they grow all the way underwater.
Ryan10517 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Default Update Shrimp Added!

So I got a few RCS from a friend. Snapped a few quick pics with my phone and a couple full bowl shots as well.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #21
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Hi,
I was wondering if you had any Ammonia issues after you planted and filled your bowls.
I recently just set up a 5 gallon NPT with the same potting soil but i am getting ammonia that is on the rise...i think that this might just be the soil, so im wondering about your experience.

Thanks!
Jasmine
xjasminex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #22
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if you had any Ammonia issues after you planted and filled your bowls.
I recently just set up a 5 gallon NPT with the same potting soil but i am getting ammonia that is on the rise...i think that this might just be the soil, so im wondering about your experience.

Thanks!
Jasmine

honestly, never tested....I did wait several weeks before adding shrimp, but they aren't dead and I have pond snails laying eggs and crawling around so I assume everything is ok.

I also will add, I have only tested once on my 40 gallon tank, which also has Organic Choice Potting Mix. Did not detect any ammonia, nitrites, and very little nitrate. Difference with it was I was working with a well seeded canister filter.

I have read people can see ammonia levels rise in NPT's I have a couple theories on this, but its purely unscientific conjecture. One: used the wrong potting mix, the Organic Choice Potting Mix has some chicken poo but supposedly this is ok, but Organic Choice Garden Soil I believe has cow poo in it, which is a supposedly very bad. Now, I would think even the chicken poo one could cause ammonia increase and that is where theory #2 comes in. Two: didn't use enough plants from the start, the whole idea behind NPT is for the plants to use the ammonia and other harmful stuff, thus rendering the water safe. The key is plant heavily from the start. I read somewhere else on this forum that heavily planted means only 25% of the substrate is visible when viewed from above.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #23
NeocaridinaCollector
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Very nice, I'm going to try this myself now.

Do you do water changes or just top up evaporated water?
Don't know if you already answered that question lol.
NeocaridinaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #24
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Very nice, I'm going to try this myself now.

Do you do water changes or just top up evaporated water?
Don't know if you already answered that question lol.
I have been doing manual removal of some algae I got using a turkey baster, which in turn removes water, I also don't like the film on the water surface so the water change keeps that at a minimum.

so yeh I have been maybe 25-50% per week, as I find the best plants for my setup I hope to reduce this to only top offs and surface skimming weekly and do 50% water change once a month or something, but in the ideal NPT no water changes are needed.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #25
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, i will check my bag and see what the exact name is.....i hope i dont have to clean it out and start over.... =/

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #26
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, one more question...
What kind of grassy plant do you have in the second bowl...i like the way it looks!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #27
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Oh, one more question...
What kind of grassy plant do you have in the second bowl...i like the way it looks!
that would be dwarf hair grass and I need to trim it.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:48 AM   #28
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

hey, how are the bowls and shrimp doing?

I used that same guide for my shrimp bowl too First i tried with cherry shrimp and got amazing results (i was harvesting 30+ shrimplets every two months or so haha.) Recently i tried keeping crystal shrimp in mine. definitely more of a challenge to get those to breed, but im not giving up :P
Check out my shrimp bowl if you have the time. The bowls you have will keep going for a really long time if you dont give up on them and persevere through any algae blooms that may or may not happen (I am glad i did).

I'll be following these
Old 07-27-2011, 02:11 PM   #29
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks newman, I've check out your bowl before. Those crystal reds are pretty sweet.

The bowls are doing ok, the shrimp haven't bred yet to my knowledge. I have a few pond snails in the bowls as well. Hopefully they wont become too much trouble.

I'm dealing with a fair amount of algae. I need more plants in the second bowl.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #30
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

You may also want to pick up two female cherry shrimp, one for each bowl. i see a whole lot of males, but no mature females in the bowls that would breed.

also are these bowls less than 1 gallon?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.