My planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
stupidface
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My planted tank

Ok, I just recently started with live plants (recently as in started today). I really don't know much about this hobby yet. My tank is a 46 gallon bowfront. I am saving for a car so I don't want to spend much money. So, here is what I have:

46 gallon bow front tank
Penguin Bio-Wheel 350 (rated up to 70 gallon)
1 25w T8 6500k bulb
Pool Filter Sand as my substrate
Air pump and air stones (running right now but not sure if I will continue to)
In-tank thermometer
3 plants (1 anubia, 1 crypt, not sure about third)

Reason that I don't know plants is because petco had a tank full of plants and they were not marked, so I picked what looked cool.

Tank has been running for about a day now with PFS and it is still a little cloudy. Not sure how deep my plants should be in the substrate.

Should I be using fertilizers?

As you can see I need alot of help.

Will post pics in a few minutes
stupidface is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #2
Coursair
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Anubias don't get planted usually. At least don't bury the rhizome(the thick horizontal root) or it will rot. You can tie it to a rock or driftwood or only bury the small roots.

The cloudiness should dissipate.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
stupidface
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Anubias don't get planted usually. At least don't bury the rhizome(the thick horizontal root) or it will rot. You can tie it to a rock or driftwood or only bury the small roots.

The cloudiness should dissipate.

this is a picture of the whole tank.

Heres a closeup of the live plants

Are they ok how they are?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'm gonna guess that the 3rd one in the middle is not a true aquatic. Alot of pet stores are notorious for selling plants that are not truly aquatic they will survive for a time in the tank but die. Example I know of are mondo grass and bamboo. I'm not sure what you have their, its not either of those thats for sure, but it just doesn't look aquatic to me.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

I like your stump by the way, looks like it has a nice cave for a future fish to call home
Old 07-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
aretreesfree
Algae Grower

true, the one in the middle isn't a true aquatic plant. i work at petco, and regularly have to point out all the true aqua plants for customers. i hate those "aquatic combos". they do fine for a while but start to totally melt eventually.
aretreesfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
stupidface
Algae Grower

Ok, will these grow though? Under my lighting conditions. I don't need fertilizers do I?
How long will it be until I can trim them and plant the trimmings?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

the crypt you could go ahead and spread the plantlets out some. The anubias will take some time before you can plant more of it, the rhizome has to grow and start another plant, then you can cut that part of the rhizome off for a second plant.

crypts spread by send out a root or runner where a new plant will sprout some times new plants will sprout inches away from the mother plant.

No clue about the one in the middle.

As far as your light goes, the crypt and anubias are lower light plants and should be fine. As someone else suggest some sort of fertilizer under the sand next to the plant would help.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
stupidface
Algae Grower

Ok, so the crypt.... I should try to separate it a bit? Also how deep should it be in the sand
Old 07-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
demosthenes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)

the one in the middle is a Dracaena, i believe D. sanderiana, but im not sure. its not an aquatic plant, and it will die pretty quickly underwater. my grandmother actually grows them in a dry pot in her living room. i have no idea why so many stores rip people off like that.

any pice of a plant that has both roots and leaves can be separated out from the rest and planted as an individual. you'll see that your great big cryptocoryne isnt a great big cryptocoryne, but a whole bunch of much smaller individuals. you can spread them out a lot from where they are now - it look likes you have at least twenty individuals. anubias can be split up similarly, but i wouldnt recommend it. you can cut the rhizome into as many pieces as you want, but as long as each piece has a leaf on it, it *should* still grow. the fewer the leaves, the smaller any new growth will be, so i would advise not chopping up anubias into pieces with less than 5 or 6 leaves.

the dracaena will not branch, and you cannot cut it into any pieces that will survive. get it out of your aquarium and find a nice new big red ceramic home for it!

as for the airstones, etc, you don't need them. air stones are for when you have big fish in small tanks, or when you want more O2 in the water for some reason. in fact, you want less O2 and more CO2 in the water, so the air pumps are actually making it harder for your plants to 'breathe,' so i would also turn those off.

as for the cloudiness, its just part of setting up a new tank. it should go away in a few more days, or a week or two if you have a really dusty substrate. anyway, don't worry about it.

as for fertilizers, you won't need any water column fertilizers. those are for stem plants that take a lot of nutrients out of the water. crypts mostly take nutrients in with their roots, so you may need a root-fertilizer eventually. these can often be found in the form of "root-tabs" or various sticks or tablets you put in the sand underneath the plants. they should be fine for a while though, so i wouldnt worry about it. fertilizers are usually for "high-tech" tanks with multiples of the amount of light that you have over your tank.

for now, you should stick to plants that need very little light, like anubias, java ferns, and crypts. here is a website called Plant Geek that will show you all of the fake aquatic plants like Dracaena that will die, rot, and pollute your tank, and the low-light plants like anubias and java fern that you will be able to keep without any problem. its a handy resource!
demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
stupidface
Algae Grower

Ok, So I separated the crypt. Heres how it looks
Anubia is in back right corner
I moved the non-aquatic plant across to the other side of the tank
Old 07-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #12
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think you have crypt v wendtii

Some java fern would good in there too. Then some rocks around them. Windelov version is my favorite
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
stupidface
Algae Grower

Ya that looks like them, any suggestions on the tank?
Old 07-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #14
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

More plants! haha

Crypt looks alot better spread out! If you want different colors in the tank there are several variations of crypts of varying colors.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:09 AM   #15
stupidface
Algae Grower

Nah, I just like green