2000 gallon pond
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 06-27-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
nature boy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

2000 gallon pond

Here is my 2000 gallon pond. I installed everything last fall with just enough time to get it up and running, then shut it down for the winter. This spring I fired it up, finally added fish about a month ago, and just recently added aquatic plants.

The pond has a 25' long stream with a biofall box at the head. This has filter matts and bags of lava rock for biological filtration. The skimmer is at the opposite end of the pond and houses a 6000 gph circulation pump.

I built the pond in 8" shelves and have a small area in the middle that reaches a 4th level so, about a 30 inch max depth. So the first shelf around the peremiter of the pond 6-8" is perfect for marginal plants.

So far fish stocking includes 7 various colored koi, and one long finned goldfish. Fish range from 4" to 8"

Aquatic plants includes rushes, water lilies, mini cattails, hyacinth, water lettuce, forget me nots.

I will try and get some pictures of the fish and new plants, but fish hide in the fish caves I made and right now it is raining. Here is a start enjoy!

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
vespers_
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow that's amazing! it'll look fantastic when it's full of plants!

filstar pimp #171
vespers_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
FIT BMX
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

The pond looks great! What pump did you use?
FIT BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

woah, that is spectacular
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 AM   #5
nature boy
Algae Grower

Thanks guys for the compliments. Sorry I still don't have pictures of the plants and fish. Next couple of days, promise.

The pump is an easy pro TH750 which does 6000 gph. It is an upright pump with stainless steel housing.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:40 AM   #6
nature boy
Algae Grower

Here are the pictures I promised of plants and fish. A little late but here they are.

First is the biofalls box at the head of the stream with filter matts and some bags of lava rock. This is about a 50 gallon unit.

Next is the upper stream with some micro cattails that I attempted to replant. These do not replant well at all. Anybody know how to get these things going?

Main waterfall

Fish

Corckscrew Rush

Tropical Water Lily

Hardy Water Lillies and Horsetail Rush

Water Forget Me Nots

Hyacynth and Rush

Water lettuce

More transplanted micro cattails not doing well
Old 07-03-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
MoeBetta
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

THanks for the pictures! It looks great!
MoeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #8
AtlPlants
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

This is absolutely gorgeous!

It looks like you have three water pooling areas with two waterfalls, is this correct? And so a pump takes water from the bottom pool and returns it to the top one?

Will/Do you have fish in each pool, or just the bottom one? If in each, what keeps them from going down the waterfalls?

This is really awesome, thanks for sharing!
AtlPlants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #9
nature boy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlPlants View Post
This is absolutely gorgeous!

It looks like you have three water pooling areas with two waterfalls, is this correct? And so a pump takes water from the bottom pool and returns it to the top one?

Will/Do you have fish in each pool, or just the bottom one? If in each, what keeps them from going down the waterfalls?

This is really awesome, thanks for sharing!
The upper section is basically a stream with some minor waterfalls and then a rippling stream section. There are and will be some more plants in this area that will root into the gravel and stay put (no floating plants though). And then no fish in this area either. The fish will reside only in the lower pond after the main waterfall.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
FIT BMX
Planted Member

The plants and fish look great!
Are you planing to overwinter the tropical lilies or just let them go, and get new ones next spring?
Have any snakes showed up in the pond yet? I have had my pond just one month and have had three snakes so far, one just tow days ago and I had to pull a frog out of his mouth the frog is doing good.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
nature boy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIT BMX View Post
The plants and fish look great!
Are you planing to overwinter the tropical lilies or just let them go, and get new ones next spring?
Have any snakes showed up in the pond yet? I have had my pond just one month and have had three snakes so far, one just tow days ago and I had to pull a frog out of his mouth the frog is doing good.
Technically I put in three water lillies. One is a tropical that will not survive the winter. I'm basically treating that like an annual. The other two lillies are supposed to be hardy. We shall see.

I have always had snakes around. They like the boulder walls around my house. I did see a rather large bull snake by the pond just the other day. We have a few frogs as well that showed up. Now just got to worry about the neighbors cat and racoons.

My approach on this pond is to let nature rule, survival of the fittest. However, I might do something with the koi before winter.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Really cool.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #13
FIT BMX
Planted Member

I have no problem with snakes but my mom will not have them around, so I catch them and relocate them in a wood lot about a mile away.

If your pond is very deep cats can not get to the fish, a friend has a pond and she has lots of cats and has never had any problems.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Very nice looking pond. As far as the cattails go just give them some time and by this time next year they will be well established, probably to the point that you will be cussing them. I planted cattails and bull rush in my pond and the bull rush just about took over one end. If you don't want to worry about them taking over I suggest you plant them in a pot or create a barrier. Is there any reason that you stuck the water lettuce amongst the rocks or is it to keep the fish from chomping on the roots? It is also a good idea to put some plants in the waterfall box area to help with the filtration. I put a bar across the front of the waterfall in mine and put hyacinth and water lettuce to help with the filtration and keep the koi from munching them.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:05 AM   #15
nature boy
Algae Grower

Thanks for the pointers. I guess I was not aware that the koi would munch on roots of the lettuce and hyacinth. I will watch for that. I stuck them in the rocks so they wouldn't get sucked into the skimmer, which of course happened right away.