The Planted Tank Forum banner

Stocking Plan

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 100.0%

55 Gallon Planted Tank and Other Tanks New fish and Plants

27K views 171 replies 49 participants last post by  I3raven 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I kow I have talked about setting up a discus tank and now is that time I will not be able to have any pictures of the tank being setup until after next week as I am going to the beach.

Equipment:

Filtration
-Eheim 2217
-Aquatop CF 300 Canister Filter

Lighting
-Catalina 3X54 T5HO fixture with one ballast that is broken
-Maybe later on CO2 but for now none

Substrate:

-40 lbs of Eco-Complete
-50 lbs of Pool Filter Sand

Flora:

I will explain what plants I will have in the pictures

Fauna:

-4 Discus
-Some kind of tetra
-A fancy pleco of some sort
-8 Sterbai Cories
-Marble Hatchets
-An angelfish or 2
And if I make sure the tank is ok maybe a pair of Rams

I will have the pictures up when I come back

See less See more
#9 ·
#11 ·
BTW - May I suggest you have a read of my illustrated Beginner's Guide to Getting Started with Discus - in the Discus Basics for Beginners section of simplydiscus.com forum - link:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus
It may help you launch your project more successfully.
Thanks it has helped me plan it and the tank is covered. When i just started I got 1 hatchet and put it in a covered 10 gallon and it tryed to get out several times but my worst escape artist was one of my african clawed frogs when I was little. I wouldn't be able to find it for days and then me and my dad looked everywhere for it and it always ended up in the filter which was a biowheel filter and this was a big frog. Sorry to bore you with my stories.:icon_roll Also rickztahone I am going to go to a local landscaping store and look for small stones. I tryed my local creek and there was nothing I liked.

#13 ·
Update 7/4

So I jst got back from vacation last week and I have been doing preperation to get the tank ready. I first had to dismantle the current setup which was very frustrating and tiring :sleep: but I finally managed to get every thing out and then I had to re silicone some of the edges. Then I got to the fun part :icon_roll. Putting in all of the substrate but I really so far like the results. I hope you guys do.

Also I finally got my filter the Aquatop CF-300 which is good but I wish it had more flow but it still does the job

Thanks for looking. :icon_smil

#16 ·
Well I finally put in the rock barrier. I couldn't find the big rocks I was looking for but I like what I found and seems to look ok. Next step is to get the driftwood. Do you guys know where to get good manzanita branches that would fit my design and are a good price. I am thinking of getting it from Manzantia.com. If I got it from there will the Ap1 package work? Any Advice will be appreciated :icon_smil.

#17 ·
You can get more flow out of the filter if you cut down your tubes to just the size you need them. Instead of them twisting up on you like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.