2.5 gallon non-CO2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
slicebo123
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

2.5 gallon non-CO2

Hi all,

So after doing a ton of reading (the PAR sticky in the light thread and Barr's forum on non-CO2), I decided to give a super low tech, desktop nano a shot.

So far I've figured out the dosing regime (EI but just 1x a week), substrate (aquasoil should be sufficient), lighting (14W CFL, 3" above tank). To get the point, I'd really like to do this tank w/o a heater or a filter. I plan on using a small 2.5 gallon aquarium that I'll later de-rim and paint black.

Heating
My room's temperature is stable enough that with only plants/shrimp, my hunch is that everything should be ok. What are some of the lower limits of temperatures that plants can handle? I don't think my room ever falls below 65 degrees Fahrenheit.

Filtration
Because this aquarium is going to be on my desk (and near my computer), I'd like to do this aquarium without a filter.
1. I plan on using a small power head to help with nutrient transport.
2. I plan to only stock shrimp, so I figure this small bioload would mean little detritus and, thus, very little need for a filter.
3. I figure that with regular top offs and very seldom water changes (don't wanna put the plants into CO2 shock and promote algae) I can obviate the need for a filter.

Any input or experiences would be tremendously appreciated and rewarded with future photos!! (Err.. assuming I can do this w/o a filter/heater). I've already broke the bank on a 60cm.
slicebo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
joetaff
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Most plants will be fine in temps 60-78 deg F. just fine. Sure there will be some that are more fragile, but for the most part that is an acceptable range.

If you aren't going to run a filter I would absolutely plan on once a week 50% Water changes. On a tank that small it wouldn't even take 2 mins. Especially since you will be dosing EI (albeit only once a week, but I would still recommended it).
Old 06-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have a 2.5 gal bowl that stays at rm temp-- it is stuffed with plants, snails, and some rogue baby guppies [who will get hauled out with The Big Green Net when they get bigger]. It's been going a couple years without filtration or heater. There is a lamp nearby. I change the water when I think of it. Zero algae.

ie: go for it!

sox