Pond project - Jungle vines
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pond project - Jungle vines

I had 2 ponds at my old house.

See threads 600G and my 3000G I filled both ponds in before I moved and sold everything.

I wanted to start a new pond project at my new house but space is limited due to pool and landscaped backyard. The new house had a rock waterless waterfall with shallow liner. I plan trying to use this as part of the project. it's a 105 G pre-formed liner

Here is what the area looks like at the back of the yard. Pond will be in the back corner.

This is the 210G preform I will sink into a hole in the ground. I will likely have it raised a bit and frame it with stone.

To the right is the v shaped slate stacked water fall that I will connect and recycle water between the pond and the water fall. I plan on feeding the back of the water fall. This whole area is covered in vines that grow everywhere and flower.

This is the current water fall that dumps into a rock area with liner underneath. Very shallow and can old about 6 inches of water if needed.

I will put fish (shabukins), water lily maybe 2, Water iris and rushes into the main pond.

Stay tuned for updates.

Last edited by newday3000; 07-11-2011 at 07:44 PM..
newday3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
FIT BMX
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Even better just turn the pool into a pond it will look great, and much better than a pool.
FIT BMX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's how I finished it off with 4 small gold fish. todo is a filter and a water lily to be added. More rock work and plants around the rocks.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
FIT BMX
Planted Member

I like it! Keep use updated.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, I'm picking up a lily today. I have new growth on the Taro already above the water. fish are doing fine. I want to get more plants in there to act as a filter. Not sure I will put filter on this pond. I have a pump circulating water now and creating a ripple.

I will post picks as it matures.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
wootlaws
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks for the update, what are you stocking in there?
wootlaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

mostly frogs. saves them from dying in the pool skimmer, kids save frogs everyday from the skimmer and put them in the pond has at least 20 frogs living there now. Some small gold fish are also living in there.

I don't have a filter setup yet. I would like a really simple solution. i have done big pond DIY filters before and want something small and simple for this pond.

I re-potted all the plants in felts planters and added fertilizer and rocks. I added a water lily as well. All plants are growing and water hycinth has quadrupled in size already.

some pics

Frog friends
Old 08-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
FIT BMX
Planted Member

That's a lot of frogs!
Looks good.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
trixella
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
I don't have a filter setup yet. I would like a really simple solution. i have done big pond DIY filters before and want something small and simple for this pond.
What about an air pump and sponge filter?
trixella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #10
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am looking at this solution, since i have a 400GPH pump in the pond now without any tubing attached yet.

http://www.pondsonlinecanada.com/sf050-6.jpg

I want really simple and some water movement. I hope this will do the trick.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #11
trixella
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

The link led me to somewhere else. I have a pump in mine that I made a diy filter out of. I bought a package of filter floss from Petsmart and used the whole big piece that comes in the package, wrapped it around the pump, cutting a slit in the floss for the outflow tube, tucked the whole thing in a pond plant basket and set another plant basket on top of it (drilled a hole in the bottom to thread the outflow tube through), filled the top basket with lava rocks and set my old fountain phenial (spelling?) on top at the water surface.
trixella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #12
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Cool little setup you have going there. Are those the frogs that sound like cats when they jump? I know it sounds like a crazy cat lady's house when I walk by the pond in my back yard during summer evenings haha.
freph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

installed the water fall and it's working well. Need a high GPH pump to get a wall of water leaving the waterfall. Going to add some lights to get a shimmering effect from the waterfall.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

decided to dig out the area for next year and build a real pond. I measured the space and I think I can put in a 500 - 600 G pond.

Pic if the space before I start digging. I will remove the preformed pond for a liner pond.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #15
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

made some progress on digging. Think I can get a 30" deep pond for over wintering. some pics on progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.