Low Tech = Affordable Substrate - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
x2h
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
I'm afraid I didn't read your whole post, my apologies. So you don't really have a "bare bottom" tank, just a really fine layer of substrate?

yes just a thin layer 0.5-1 inch of pool filter sand. the sand is actually more than a decoration, b/c the bolevian and blue rams love to sift the sand all the time. when they are spawning, they will choose a spot and fan away the sand until the bottom is exposed. takes only a few seconds.
x2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #17
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Sox,

I personally really like using Miracle Gro Organic underneath a 2" cap with something else (pool filter sand would be a good cheap option). So that would be my own recommendation.

I've got this substrate in both my own 90 and 46gals right now (links in my signature below)
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

agree with mike and laura.

DONT FEAR THE DIRT.
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #19
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Substrate on a Budget

Hello sock...

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm on a rather tight budget. I use a couple of inches of organic potting mixture as a base and cover that with standard pea gravel from the LFS, very inexpensive for a 30 G tank. A couple of inches of the pea gravel is good and then, just fill your tank about half full and use a large pair of tweezers as a planting tool and aquascape the tank.

The potting mixture will supply nutrients for the plants for several weeks and I think it helps the plants through the stress of getting used to new tank conditions.

Just an old fishkeeper's way of saving a couple of dollars.

B
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #20
joetaff
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Can't believer this hasn't been mentioned yet, but "soil master select" SMS, is an excellent budget substrate. You can get a 50 lb bag for <20 bucks. It worked well for my 75 gal and asthetically it looks nice and dark. You can find them at lesco stores. Do a quick forum search for info. If that fails just do sand and add root tabs as needed.

Cheers
Old 06-18-2011, 04:24 AM   #21
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetaff View Post
Can't believer this hasn't been mentioned yet, but "soil master select" SMS, is an excellent budget substrate. You can get a 50 lb bag for <20 bucks. It worked well for my 75 gal and asthetically it looks nice and dark. You can find them at lesco stores. Do a quick forum search for info. If that fails just do sand and add root tabs as needed.

Cheers
It's not being made any more, unfortunately.

Turface/Pro's Choice is the comparable product, and Lesco/John Deere started carrying it instead.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Pinoy Boy--that's just what I was looking for! I ordered 2 bags ecocomplete and 1 bag midnite black floramax on the way. Of course, this cost more than the tank, stand, and filter but still pretty cheapo!

Thanks! Sox
Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #23
Ryan10517
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

i say go with mineralized topsoil. There is little organic content in it, and most of the nutrients are available only to plants. Its as cheap as cheap gets too. I made 40 lbs of it for $2.20. Since there is very little organic content, you don't get a ton of algae like you would with MGOC or similar organic potting soil. just an option....
Ryan10517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #24
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan10517 View Post
i say go with mineralized topsoil. There is little organic content in it, and most of the nutrients are available only to plants. Its as cheap as cheap gets too. I made 40 lbs of it for $2.20. Since there is very little organic content, you don't get a ton of algae like you would with MGOC or similar organic potting soil. just an option....
Won't MTS get kinda messy if you pull up plants after they're well rooted?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote