Trying to start up my low-tech 10g..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
DansSpace
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Trying to start up my low-tech 10g..

Hey! Newbie here from Las Vegas. I've lurked on here for a really long time, finally got the courage to start up my own tank. My family used to have a 55g saltwater tank, and I used to have that same 55g in my room with some fish, but no plants, so I've got a little aquarium experience. But I want plants! And I don't want to go straight to Co2 and dosing ferts and all that.
So I guess my question is, what are you low-tech 10g guys using for lighting? Would a clip on 26watt put me into Co2 needing realm? Is a single light like that going to get light across my whole tank, or have most of it directed towards the middle? I thought while I was lurking I had this all figured out. Now that I'm out shopping for stuff, I feel really lost. I just need a little reassurance over here. haha. Links to stuff would be awesome, so I know what I'm lookin for.
DansSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
hamsterman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

You won't need CO2. I recommend sticking with java ferns, bolbitis, mosses, pellia, and anubias. Due to my lack of funds, I always used a desk lamp over my 10 gallon. Although I had around 60 watts of lighting, I never never had a problem. Then again, I also had shrimp and MTS to clean up.
hamsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
DansSpace
Algae Grower

I certainly plan on having some shrimp in there. So a 26 watt light over my 10g shouldn't cause any problems if I'm trying to keep it low tech. Hopefully. haha
Old 06-17-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
joetaff
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Yes that should work fine for what you want. You might dose some excell to give yourself a little boost. On a 10g it wouldn't take much really. Just stuff your tank full of some nice slow growers early on and you should avoid algae for the most part
Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Bannik
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

It really depends on the type of light. Is it using Power Compact lightbulbs (U shaped) or is it using Compact Fluorescent (Spiral) Then it also depends on bulb orientation. Is the bulb vertical or horizontal in the fixture.

If it is indeed a Power Compact light it is going to be pushing you into very high light. If it is a Compact Fluorescent with vertical alignment you'll be in Medium/high light. if it is a Compact Fluorescent with horizontal alignment you'll be in low light
Bannik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
DansSpace
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetaff View Post
Yes that should work fine for what you want. You might dose some excell to give yourself a little boost. On a 10g it wouldn't take much really. Just stuff your tank full of some nice slow growers early on and you should avoid algae for the most part
I'll probably dose some excell once I get everything up and running. This is my first planted tank and I feel a little overwhelmed after all the purchases I just made and not being 100% sure if it's what I need. But I think I did alright.
Once I actually get water and rocks and plants into the tank I'm sure I'll start to feel more confident. haha

As for the post above mine, I decided to order the Finnex clip on light, so whichever category that one falls under.. All this bulb stuff is foreign to me, I suppose I should start learning about that too.