Capitol Aquarium in Sac is for sale?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Robotguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Capitol Aquarium in Sac is for sale?

Saw the ad on Craigslist, don't know if it will show up here:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bfs/2425648623.html

Quote:
Sacramento Landmark Capitol Aquarium For Sale - $100000 (Midtown Sacramento)

After 50 years in business, it's time to retire. We are selling Capitol Aquarium, http://www.capitolaquarium.net, to the right purchaser. Without much effort on my part, the business still grosses over $500,000 per year. It could do better with more hands on management. I am willing to consult with the buyer for a year or two following the sale to transition the business.
Anyone suffering from a SEVERE case of collectoritis may want to give in and buy an aquarium store....

EDIT: Maybe they should list it on the Swap & Shop...

Last edited by Robotguy; 06-08-2011 at 02:10 AM..
Robotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

I just checked my PayPal balance: I'm a little short. I wonder if the price is negotiable. Maybe SAPS should step up? It would make a great place to hold meetings.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

IF it actually grosses 500k per year, that is a tiny investment.

The real question is what does the least cost? P/G/S?
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Gross vs profit is quite another matter.
It's been going downhill for the last few years. Could become something neat in the right hands.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

It's a nice store and clean, you should see what we have here in Maryland, every tank filled with BBA, that looks like a good deal to a person willing to put in some effort and hours. But if you love what you do it's not work, right????????????????????
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

I just went there today. They closed their room with all the new tanks, and now have a smaller selection of supplies. I was wondering if they are thinking of closing its doors.

Its been there since I was a little kid.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

The $100,000 is probably a fraction of what it will take to bring it back up to the great place it used to be, and now there is lots of competition that didn't exist during the time it was great. My guess is that it is toast.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

We used to have a great store here in MD., saltwater, freswater, plants, equipment, tanks, tanks, tank, I mean they had everything and the best part was seeing great looking hard to get species of fish, the guy retired and sold. Now it's changed hands 2 more times until there is nothing left, their going to move to a smaller spot now so it's just a slow death, just kinda winding down. The thing is they say it's the economy but a store lust 30 minutes across town has 10 to 15 customers everytime (weekly) I walk in and loaded with stock, the fact is they bought a gold mine and spent the cash without reinvesting and are now down to nothing. I think it's sad to see this place go with the big box stores being all that's left behind.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If a aquatic store wants to make it they need to sell online too. The prices need to be very competitive. It would not hurt for an aquatic store to sell out and offer things for other pets. In a down economy hobbies stores are screwed.

I was at the store a year ago and they have lots of room with many many fish. It was very cool but the stock was not very healthy. I saw Ich in many tanks. It was too bad. What about the koi. The ones by the door what will happen to them?

If I had the Money I would love to by that place. If they are selling every thing in the store for $100,000 it could be a deal. They had a lots of tanks bug and small. Too bad.