Treating ICH with heat
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
latnem
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Treating ICH with heat

Hey Guys,

So I have been treating my tank with heat for ich for three days now. The temperature is at about 86F. After three days the visual signs of ich have increased (more spots possibly more fish effected).

Those of you that have experience treating ICH with heat.....is this usual? I do have some Rid Ich+ but am hesitant to dose it since it contains a dye.

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

Old 06-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
jahmic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Raising the temps up to that range typically speeds up the cycle of the parasite. 86 is right on the border of preventing the parasite from dividing once it falls off the host and forms a capsule.

When using heat to treat Ich, it's pretty typical to see a sudden increase in visible symptoms as you are speeding the life cycle up. For example...if you gradually raised the temp, the parasite could have fallen off the host, divided ALOT, then reinfected your fish before the temps ever got up to 86. At this point, what you should expect (hope) to see is those spots disappear, and then the lack of a rebound. Suffice to say, it will take more than 3 days to kill the Ich with heat. I'd keep your temps up for at least 2 weeks.

If you don't have any heat-sensitive fish, try raising the temps up just a little higher. IIRC, anything above 88 degrees will actually kill the parasite in the free-swimming stage.

If you don't have any sensitive fish, you could also try adding aquarium salt to the tank at a lower dose (1/2 tsp per gallon is what I've used in the past). It will encourage the fish to develop their slime coat, which assists them in healing and makes them less susceptible to the parasite attaching.

To be honest, I wouldn't be hesitant in using Rid Ich+...you may risk staining some things in the tank, but I only noticed staining on suction cups and the line for my airstone when I treated my tank. I used a 1/2 dose in my planted tank in combination with heat (86 degrees) and salt for 2 weeks and wiped out Ich...as far as I can tell. I have RCS and amano shrimp in that tank...and even had RCS fry do just fine during treatment. I didn't notice any loss of fauna...although a couple of my plants didn't appreciate the salt treatment too much.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
latnem
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Cool thanks for the info. Wow your RCS survived those temps I thought pretty much all shrimps would die at those temps. I think I will perhaps start dosing a half dose of the rid ich.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
jahmic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

One thing I forgot to mention:

I ran an airstone in the tank 24/7 during treatment, and also cut back on dosing and CO2 into the tank. Probably another reason my plants took a hit, but the fish and shrimp did just fine.

It took just about 4wks for most plants to recover, some took 2 months...others didn't make it. Overall, I was definitely happy with the results I saw though
Old 06-06-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (334/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

Double jahmic. Run an airline!

-Gordon
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
gray_fox
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I just had an issue with ich a week or two ago due to some guppies i got at my LFS that were infected with ich.....took over a good majority of the tank and i was also concerned if i added a checmical to get rid of ich, that it might kill my plants. I raised the temp to 88 degrees. No fish died, some plants suffered a little bit, but are already kicking back. Ich appears to be gone
gray_fox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #7
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

^ This is why fish should always be quarantined before being added to an established tank!
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.