Zoid's (\/) (,;;,) (\/) - 20G Long Community Tank Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-01-2014, 05:53 AM   #1
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Zoid's (\/) (,;;,) (\/) - 20G Long Community Tank Journal

My 20G long tank has been setup since December 2013. Plants went in throughout January and February.

Tank
20 Gallon Long (30x12x13) with glass lid

Stand
2x4 Reinforced Ikea Besta Cabinet

Substrate
Fluval Shrimp Stratum, Pool Filter Sand, Estes Gravel/Pebbles

Decorations
Mopani driftwood, Moss covered Driftwood Branches, Medium and Small Cichlid Stones, T.A.R.D.I.S, H2Show Crystal Multi Led

Lighting and Batteries
Aqueon Modular LED (replaced on April 4,2014)
Finnex Fugeray Planted+
Battery Operated Emergency Air Stone, 1000w Apc UPS (30 minutes of power, I get brownouts)

Air, Filter and Heater
Fluval 206 Canister Filter, Shrimp Filter (eBay), Fluval M Series 150w Submersible, Fusion 500 Air pump, Sponge Prefilter

Plants
Amazon Sword, Rotala Nanjenshen, Mini Pellia, Moss Ball, Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Amazon Frogbit.

Fertilizer
Seachem Flourish Root Tabs, Seachem Iron, Seachem Excel, Seachem Flourish

Fish & Shrimp as of April 4, 2014
2 - Dwarf Ramirezi
2 - Peppered Corydoras (Will be adding another 3 soon)
7 - Glass Bloodfin Tetras (Will be moving to another tank soon)
7 - Rummynose Tetras
6 - Neon Tetras
7 - Amano Shrimp
3 - Otocinclus

Other info
1/3 PWC every 2 Weeks, Prime and 10% top up every other week, 26c water temperature, Seachem Prime, New Life Spectrum Thera A, Hikari Bloodworms, Hikari Algae Wafers, HBH Shrimp Pellets.

I will be updating the thread with more pictures of plant growth and inhabitants.

What I planned out in January

Picture of tank February 2, 2014

Picture of Tank February 22, 2014
Rotala has done spectacularly well, 3 Bunches of 3-4 stems have turned into 11 bunches, clippings planted throughout tank.
Java Fern moved to corner, LFS had Amazon Sword in bad shape I added it in hoping to revive it. Mini Pellia tied to Driftwood.

------------------

April 4, 2014
Tore down tank and rescaped in below posts.
Also replaced Modular LED with a Finnex Fugeray Planted+

Last edited by Zoidborg; 04-06-2014 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: More info
Zoidborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
JJVanier
Planted Member

Diggin it man! can't wait to see some updated pics.
JJVanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:56 PM   #3
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

My stand is complete thanks to ikea and some serious 2x4 base and a braced interior.
Also sorry for the poor quality ipad/iphone pics don't have a good camera... yet.
Note: I/m a grown man who collects Toys

Pic of Tank March 1, 2014, added in a spraybar, Rotala has grown 1 1/2 inches in 1 week.

Spraybar custom made from a PVC Irrigation Riser, Hose Clamp, Cap and a 1/2" to 3/4" Elbow ($4.54)
No more Jetstream from the stock 205 outtake!!! Fish finally swimming throughout all levels of tank.
Have since moved the spraybars flow towards the glass

Some of the inhabitants
Neons and Amano Shrimp

Neons and Rummynose

Neons and Dwarf Rams

Still waiting on several plant and tank accessories in the mail
Will be adding in more cories, neons and rummy soon once I find a home for the bloodfins.
I'd love to get some other varieties of shrimp but I'm afraid of a population explosion.

Last edited by Zoidborg; 03-01-2014 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: pics
Old 03-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidborg View Post
Plants
Amazon Sword, Rotala Nanjenshen, Mini Pellia, Moss Ball, Java Fern, Anubias Nana, Amazon Frogbit.
The amazon sword will outgrow your tank. Read 1 had 1 that had roots which consumed most of his 30G tank.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

Thanks for the suggestion. The swords will stay in this tank till they get well established then ill move all but one to other tanks I plan to make

If they get a growth spurt, I don't mind trimming. We'll see how it goes, my lights aren't to powerful, they're growing slowly.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

Since the last update I made a few changes. First I bought 6 Otos, they were uber tiny almost half an inch, only 3 survived the first day. The 3 Otos remaining went to town on my algae and cleaned every plant in the tank.

I bought 3 friends for the Peppered cats to play with, unfortunately they all died in a week. My LFS's pepper cats are 3/4" but my two guys are already 2". I'm guessing they didn't like the pesky kids.

Then I bought my new Finnex Fugeray Planted+, so much light!

Then today I tore down my tank.

With a nice shopping spree at Docteosfosterandsmith here is what I came up with.

Note: I should have taken pics during the setup, unfortunately I forgot.

On the left side the vertical piece of Mopani is conveniently covering the unsightly Filter Sponge/Canister intake. I've also stuffed the nooks and crannies with Java fern.

Happy Ram and some Tetras checking out the new digs.

Not much going on in the right side. View of my h2show bubbler, shrimp filter, heater and custom spraybar. Waiting on Rotala and Amazon sword to grow out here.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by Zoidborg; 04-06-2014 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: More information