Rash from Blue-Green Algae
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Rash from Blue-Green Algae

I guess you learn something new everyday. I was cleaning my Fluval Edge yesterday because it had some blue-green algae on the glass and around the tank opening. The design of the edge makes it difficult to work with since the opening is so small. My hand was rubbing against the inner glass while I was reaching around in there to clean. Within a few hours I noticed a sizable red rash on my hand. I've never had a rash before and I'm not allergic to anything so this was surprising. After doing a little research I found out why this happened. Apparently blue-green algae isn't an algae at all, it's a bacteria (cyanobacteria) and exposure to it can cause rashes, skin and eye irritation, allergic reactions and other effects. Rubbing against it was probably not a good idea. Guess I'll be wearing rubber gloves from now on. Has anyone had a similar experience?
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
robbowal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi BlueJack
Not come in contact with BGA myself but i did notice a warning sign on the gate of my local sailing club with a very stern warning regarding BGA in the boating lake and not to allow pets to swim in or around it or to touch any found at the lake edge.
so no surprise that it gave you a rash, seems like a very nasty bacteria.
robbowal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Not from BGA, but I am apparently highly allergic to myriophyllum species. It got so bad that I had a rash the first few times, but the last experience, I couldn't breathe very well and ended up really sick, there is an old thread around here about my experience. Weird what our bodies can react to.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Nuke them with some antibiotics... Unless you are allergic to Erythromycin!
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
ufimych
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I had BGA outbreaks each time, when I established a new setting in the tank. With time I learned that they do not like much of oxygen in the water. I plant fast growing plants first, provide enough light and use a power water filter. It works well even without help of algae eaters. So far I do not have allergy to BGA.
ufimych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
GreenEmber
Algae Grower

Mmmmmm yep I have had a few run-ins with BGA nasty, nasty stuff, wouldn't put my hand in the tank with it again ....best to protect your hands and don't breath any dry particles of it if you can....it is one of the toughest bacteria's on our world and one of the oldest too.....
GreenEmber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

We have a few lakes that have been taken over by BGA. Boating has been prohibited, swimming, etc all stopped.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Buff Daddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Nuke them with some antibiotics... Unless you are allergic to Erythromycin!
It's the only thing to do... I wouldn't hesitate. My pharmacist gave me enough erythro to fix my 75 when I discussed it with him. Now he asks about the tank every time I see him.

Fluval Ebi Pimp #29
Buff Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I bought some tetra algae control (poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)Ethylene Dichloride]). It says it'll work on BGA. I've never used this stuff. Is it safe for fish, plants, nitrifying bacteria? I know I got BGA because my dumbass pulled some plants from a pond and I thought my UV filter would take care of everything. Obviously some of the BGA didn't pass through the filter and spread on the glass. Learned my lesson!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Jorge_Burrito
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)

Most algae control products are safe for fish and your bacteria, but definitely detrimental to your plants. Even if it says plant safe on the bottle I wouldn't use it in a planted tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJack View Post
I bought some tetra algae control (poly[oxyethylene(dimethyliminio)Ethylene Dichloride]). It says it'll work on BGA. I've never used this stuff. Is it safe for fish, plants, nitrifying bacteria? I know I got BGA because my dumbass pulled some plants from a pond and I thought my UV filter would take care of everything. Obviously some of the BGA didn't pass through the filter and spread on the glass. Learned my lesson!
Jorge_Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
wmsvn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJack View Post
Used it per package recommend and 2 days later the BGA are gone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.