ADA Aquasoil came apart in 8 months - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 AM   #16
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

"Photo not available" *sigh*

Anyone have a pic of the Fluval stratum stuff?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 05:05 AM   #17
FDNY911
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

It looks pretty similar to the AS, if you google it and go to images they have a few photos, unfortunately there aren't too many up-close but close enough to get an idea.

New Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...20-gallon.html

Old Journal:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...en-down-4.html

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
FDNY911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 12:53 AM   #18
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well, today I made the trip to the "Famous Name" LFS that sells mostly on the web and I'm now the proud owner of seven 20lb bags of Eco-Complete. This week I'll do the preliminary work of getting water ready and next weekend will hopefully be the big substrata replacement.

Since I'm not moving the tank, hopefully it will not be too bad a job.

The choices, because of what was available came down to Eco-Complete and Flourite. Eco-complete should not need any washing. I could see getting a similar amount of Flourite clean would be a big job in itself. I must admit though that I liked the colors of flourite better.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 AM   #19
sampster5000
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

I have the same problem with my ASII. It looks very ugly now like the color rubbed off.

Has fluval stratum been proven to lower the pH and softness of the water like ASII does? That is the only reason I use it as soils like eco complete and flourite do not seem to do this at all.
Raok Club #43

20 Gallon Shrimp

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again."
sampster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 AM   #20
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Yes, stratum buffers like aquasoil. I can't attest to how good of a job it does, because my water is already perfect, but I've heard it does a great job.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #21
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampster5000 View Post
I have the same problem with my ASII. It looks very ugly now like the color rubbed off.

Has fluval stratum been proven to lower the pH and softness of the water like ASII does? That is the only reason I use it as soils like eco complete and flourite do not seem to do this at all.
Yes, I suspect that they start with the pebbles, and use a process similar to how candy makers coat peanuts with chocolate to make Aquasoil. Then with use the soil separates and your left with a really ugly substrata.

I haven't seen the fluval product being sold locally. If I had I might have given it a try. I much prefer to buy bulk items like substrata locally, because shipping can eat you alive if you order it online.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #22
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
The choices, because of what was available came down to Eco-Complete and Flourite. Eco-complete should not need any washing. I could see getting a similar amount of Flourite clean would be a big job in itself. I must admit though that I liked the colors of flourite better.
I dunno the EC I have needs washing else it is a cloudy, horrible mess that does not settle even after days and any movement of the substrate causes another white out. I had to run a second filter just to help pull some of that mess through to help clear the water. You should have seen the sponges when I pulled them out. It was horrible..
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #23
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm kind of ok in that department. I have a Diatom filter, so if I really need to get fine stuff out, I can set it up and run it overnight. A Diatom Filter will filter the water much finer than the usual filter sponges and other mechanical media. I don't use it more than a few times a year, and I got to say it's not the most critical thing to have, but when you can use it, it saves a lot of work. In my "old age" I try to avoid any extra work. (grin)
Old 06-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #24
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Yeah, but eco complete is like... well, you'll see... A diatom filter is fine and all, but I do think eco complete will clog it in a matter of seconds. If you can, completely remove the water from the tank, put the new substrate in, and cover substrate with newspaper while filling, to keep it from stirring up at all.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #25
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

I've used about 100 bags of ADA AS type 1 over the years, never an issue here.

5 years in.......

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #26
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I've used about 100 bags of ADA AS type 1 over the years, never an issue here.

5 years in.......

Regards,
Tom Barr
I think it's great that you never had an issue. I really wish I could say the same. I did mention in my original post that I was using ADA Aquasoil Amazonia II, which may be different, rather than the type I.

I've already explained my feelings toward the product, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse. Note though that several others have mentioned similar issues with Amazonia II, so I'm not alone here.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #27
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I think it's great that you never had an issue. I really wish I could say the same. I did mention in my original post that I was using ADA Aquasoil Amazonia II, which may be different, rather than the type I.

I've already explained my feelings toward the product, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse. Note though that several others have mentioned similar issues with Amazonia II, so I'm not alone here.
I'm not really sure why they messed with a good thing and made II.
I'd be pissed too.

I'm saying that the solution is to stick with type I.
I'm not sure about the new stuff, it's untested, I cannot say(no one can at this point), I fully believe and have no reason to doubt folks experiences with type II. I think the likelihood of a conspiracy there is nil.

Trying new stuff is good and teaches folks, but sometimes........I'd want $$ back and replacement of product myself. That seems fair. Something, toss me a bone, free shipping on type I, anything.

But to say, "ah, tough.............we sorry, but we are not going to do anything for you....." at the end of the day, that would chaff my hide.

I know.......had this done with other things in the hobby.
I did not let it go either, I'm an elephant there.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #28
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

I did inquire about what kind of testing they did on this "New" AS, but haven't heard anything. I have about 10 Bags of AS II in my garage, any takers?

What that being said I do have a tank running currently that has AS II in it now for almost 3 years. It did fall apart mostly where my midground rocks separate my foreground from the rest of my tank. If it falls apart around plant movement and you don't like the way it looks you could just suck it out with a hose and replace with some fresh AS. Unless your moving stuff around alot I don't think it's that bad that you need to do a teardown.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #29
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
I did inquire about what kind of testing they did on this "New" AS, but haven't heard anything. I have about 10 Bags of AS II in my garage, any takers?

What that being said I do have a tank running currently that has AS II in it now for almost 3 years. It did fall apart mostly where my midground rocks separate my foreground from the rest of my tank. If it falls apart around plant movement and you don't like the way it looks you could just suck it out with a hose and replace with some fresh AS. Unless your moving stuff around alot I don't think it's that bad that you need to do a teardown.

I have similar experiences with ASII. I'm about 15 months in with AS II in one of my tanks. Where my HC lawn is growing no problems at all. Even if it is broken down the carpet is keeping the substrate down. The exposed parts of ASII will disintegrate if touched hard.
shrimpnmoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #30
Bunbuku
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

when i had a tonina style tank, I almost lost my whole scape with EC. Kh was not suitable even with extensive prewashing. OTOH they did well with AS or Flourite.
Bunbuku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ada, aquasoil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.