Your Betta's personality
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 08-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
Varmint
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Your Betta's personality

Every Betta I have ever owned had their own personality.

I had a Betta several years ago who lived in a 29 gallon community tank. He would herd the Neon tetras. If one would wander away from the school, he would get it and nudge it back to the group.

Waldo loves to be "petted" through the glass. If I rub my fingers on the side of his bowl, he will rub the glass with his cheek like a cat.

Diablo is shy and will swim away from me. If I wiggle my fingers near the glass, he will zoom back to flare at me.

Tell me about your Bettas and their quirks.
Varmint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
Canis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have too many bettas to describe them all, but my favorite has always been one of my veils named Mr. Magic. He is about two years old, and still has the heart of a four month old. He is constantly swimming around his tank happily, and he loves to flare at anyone who walks by. He also has a thing for dancing around when its feeding time, or when you're trying to get a picture of him. He's a very silly little guy, the only thing that isn't so great is his tail-nibbling habbit XD Oh well, if he likes it short thats his deal I guess. No matter what I do he keeps on nibblin' away. Maybe he wants to look like his plakat neighbor, lol.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

I had a blue, white, and black delta (might have had some crowntail in him.. like a great grandparent) named Arist'oto' (like Aristotle but with oto) that I rescued from Petco in April, he shared a planted 20g with 3 otos and they got along well. He was a inquisitive betta and it seemed the two fish breeds traded some habbits. I have photographic proof (set slideshow speed to fast) of Arits'oto' eating veggies.. zucchini to be exact. And the otos became little bold dare devils that liked to dart and play around the siphon when I did water changes >.< they also were never afraid of my hands in the tank. He'd sometimes flare at the otos but never pecked or chased them, they'd even all eat together peacefully, the otos never paid any mind to his flaring either. Arist'oto' wasn't a super eager eater, he's eat betta food fine but it seemed to take a bit of work to cox him to the surface and away from whatever adventure he was on a moment before. Sadly he passed after getting some unknown disease.

My newest betta, Xerxes, is a mustard plakat from Taiwan (aquabid buy), he lives in a planted 7g cube with 2 (new) otos, their relationship is nothing like the others though. Xerxes is very active and swims ALL over the tank -anyone who says betta are upper water column only forgot to tell this one- he has no problem crashing through the black diamond 'sand' and base of plants. He has 0 interest in veggies, and only occasionally flares at the otos but there's no violence or chasing... though sometimes Xerxes crashes into them when he's swimming around and they're trying to move to a new spot to clean on the glass (I don't think he watches where he's going (looking at the betta food bad) when this happens). Xerxes also refuses to flare for a "professional" photo, and won't fall for mirrors or photos of other male bettas flaring. He gets supper hyper when I grab food for him and visually recognizes his pellet bag as well as a tiny plastic cup used to thaw frozen foods (blood worms or brine shrimp).

One thing they both shared is an affinity for fresh escargot (aka they'd eat all the baby snails in the tank they can find) even ontop of what most might say is a large diet (6-7 pellets 2x a day and frozen food 1x a week on rotation) they never got the fat betta look though.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Varmint
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis View Post
I have too many bettas to describe them all, but my favorite has always been one of my veils named Mr. Magic. He is about two years old, and still has the heart of a four month old. He is constantly swimming around his tank happily, and he loves to flare at anyone who walks by. He also has a thing for dancing around when its feeding time, or when you're trying to get a picture of him. He's a very silly little guy, the only thing that isn't so great is his tail-nibbling habbit XD Oh well, if he likes it short thats his deal I guess. No matter what I do he keeps on nibblin' away. Maybe he wants to look like his plakat neighbor, lol.
Waldo is a halfmoon. He was stressed in his old tank. It was in a bedroom where he didn't see us all day. He either blew out his tail and started biting the edges or started biting it out of boredom. He is in a bowl in the kitchen while I cycle a new tank for him. The extra human interaction made him forget his tail biting and his tail is slowly growing back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I had a blue, white, and black delta (might have had some crowntail in him.. like a great grandparent) named Arist'oto' (like Aristotle but with oto) that I rescued from Petco in April, he shared a planted 20g with 3 otos and they got along well. He was a inquisitive betta and it seemed the two fish breeds traded some habbits. I have photographic proof (set slideshow speed to fast) of Arits'oto' eating veggies.. zucchini to be exact. And the otos became little bold dare devils that liked to dart and play around the siphon when I did water changes >.< they also were never afraid of my hands in the tank. He'd sometimes flare at the otos but never pecked or chased them, they'd even all eat together peacefully, the otos never paid any mind to his flaring either. Arist'oto' wasn't a super eager eater, he's eat betta food fine but it seemed to take a bit of work to cox him to the surface and away from whatever adventure he was on a moment before. Sadly he passed after getting some unknown disease.

My newest betta, Xerxes, is a mustard plakat from Taiwan (aquabid buy), he lives in a planted 7g cube with 2 (new) otos, their relationship is nothing like the others though. Xerxes is very active and swims ALL over the tank -anyone who says betta are upper water column only forgot to tell this one- he has no problem crashing through the black diamond 'sand' and base of plants. He has 0 interest in veggies, and only occasionally flares at the otos but there's no violence or chasing... though sometimes Xerxes crashes into them when he's swimming around and they're trying to move to a new spot to clean on the glass (I don't think he watches where he's going (looking at the betta food bad) when this happens). Xerxes also refuses to flare for a "professional" photo, and won't fall for mirrors or photos of other male bettas flaring. He gets supper hyper when I grab food for him and visually recognizes his pellet bag as well as a tiny plastic cup used to thaw frozen foods (blood worms or brine shrimp).

One thing they both shared is an affinity for fresh escargot (aka they'd eat all the baby snails in the tank they can find) even ontop of what most might say is a large diet (6-7 pellets 2x a day and frozen food 1x a week on rotation) they never got the fat betta look though.
The slide show had me laughing. So much for Bettas being carnivores.

My guys love baby snails too. I thought there were no unauthorized snails in Waldo's tank until I moved him out. Now there are dozens including adults. They must have known they were on the menu so they were laying low.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
The slide show had me laughing. So much for Bettas being carnivores.

My guys love baby snails too. I thought there were no unauthorized snails in Waldo's tank until I moved him out. Now there are dozens including adults. They must have known they were on the menu so they were laying low.
Yeh he was quite an odd fella, wish he was still with us, doubt I'll find another quite like him.
I keep having to resist the urge to buy more bettas (lfs rescues or online splurges). If I could find a reliable SMALL heater I'd boot my shrimp and use their picos for 2 more. I'd love to see what other odd personalities I'll find.

[edit]
Oooo just found [this]... Might be time to boot the shrimp!

Last edited by AquaAurora; 08-25-2014 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: Added heater help
Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
CoryLover8
Algae Grower

Merlin prefers to watch me and gets quite excited when he sees me looking at him. I will look away and see him out of the corner of my eye. When I am not looking he just watches me sadly. But once I turn my head towards him, he starts doing his happy dance.

Once he had a shrimp as a tank buddy who bumped into him. The shrimp pushed off of Merlin and all Merlin ended up doing was look perplexed and then go back to watching me. I feel bad going home at the end of the day (office tank) as he loves to watch me.

Merlin is quite inquisitive when it comes to me. He often gets scooped into the container that I use to remove water (a large soup container) as he prefers to check out everything I do. Thankfully he has recently learned to watch me from a few inches away instead of right next to me.

<3 Merlin... damn fish is like a dog.
CoryLover8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #7
Varmint
Planted Tank Obsessed

[edit]
Oooo just found [this]... Might be time to boot the shrimp![/QUOTE]

Good find! I have to show my Boyfriend. He is an Electrical Engineer. I asked him if he could invent a heater that has a sensor elsewhere in the tank so that the heater would "know" what the real temperature was. He had some argument as to why it would be difficult to create. If you buy one, please review it on TPT. I would love to know if it works. (Not that I need a reason to break my two Betta rule)
Old 08-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #8
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

If I do I'll let you know. From reding others reviews the main problems are:
Shows temp in C no F with no decimal for an accurate temp (so 26C could = between 78.8 and 80.4F)
Calibration is difficult though very tiny hole in back of item
Temp resets after loss of power and must be redone if it was adjusted to something other than the factory set temp (26C)
Don't like the power issue, sometimes we get brow outs here, though rarely black outs
Old 08-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
Good find! I have to show my Boyfriend. He is an Electrical Engineer. I asked him if he could invent a heater that has a sensor elsewhere in the tank so that the heater would "know" what the real temperature was. He had some argument as to why it would be difficult to create. If you buy one, please review it on TPT. I would love to know if it works. (Not that I need a reason to break my two Betta rule)
I have something similar using a spare industrial temperature controller. It cycles an electrical outlet on and off. I have a 100W heater set to 82f plugged in. That way there must be two points of failure before the tank gets cooked.

Most temperature controllers use what is called "bang-bang" control, where the heater is turned on if Temperature < Setpoint, and off if T > Setpoint.

This seems like an okay idea, but actually performs very poorly when the heating element and thermometer are separated. It can take half an hour or more for the warm water to travel to the thermometer and register, and the whole time the heater will be overshooting the target, creating unnecessary temperature swings.

A better alternative is to use PID control. My temperature controller has an autotune function that cycles up and down a few times to "learn" how the system responds, then acts more intelligently to avoid over/undershoot.

So far it will stay +-0.1f fairly reliably, although turning on a fan can knock it down 0.4f for a few hours. There are some pictures in my thread.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
I have something similar using a spare industrial temperature controller. It cycles an electrical outlet on and off. I have a 100W heater set to 82f plugged in. That way there must be two points of failure before the tank gets cooked.

Most temperature controllers use what is called "bang-bang" control, where the heater is turned on if Temperature < Setpoint, and off if T > Setpoint.

This seems like an okay idea, but actually performs very poorly when the heating element and thermometer are separated. It can take half an hour or more for the warm water to travel to the thermometer and register, and the whole time the heater will be overshooting the target, creating unnecessary temperature swings.

A better alternative is to use PID control. My temperature controller has an autotune function that cycles up and down a few times to "learn" how the system responds, then acts more intelligently to avoid over/undershoot.

So far it will stay +-0.1f fairly reliably, although turning on a fan can knock it down 0.4f for a few hours. There are some pictures in my thread.
That's pretty cool but unfortunately most of us don't have access or funds to such nice toys.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 PM   #11
bsmurray
Algae Grower

My betta, Alphie, likes to play with his pellet food. He'll take bites, spit them out, let them float up, watch them closely, then take another bite. He is stalking his own pellets.

Luckily he's a little older so he's really laid back and is in my 29 g community tank with a bunch of shrimp and small tetras.

29 Gallon Planted Tank
bsmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #12
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Used to have a female betta, dull red fins, whitish-pink body. She was huge, maybe three inches long... I got her at about average sold female betta size, maybe an inch or so long, and she grew a LOT. She lived with zebra danios, and she would do something kinda funny; when they were too close, she would puff out her gills in a way that made her whole head look bigger, and she would accompany it with a quick dart at them. Looked like she was going "boo!" at them. Other than that, she was fairly gentle, but I didn't put any other females in the tank once she got that big because I was worried she'd attack them.

I had another who was this gorgeous greenish color, like a luna moth. She was MEAN. Tried to put her in my community, and she looked around for a minute or two, then she lunged and caught a zebra danio. CAUGHT one. She nearly killed the poor thing before I got her away from it.
She stayed in her own tank.
My little brother put his finger in there once, and she bit down so hard that when he jerked away, she ended up on the floor.
Psychotic little thing! Even male bettas usually don't go after danio-shaped things.
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 02:30 AM   #13
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Forgot to mention, Xerxes likes to sleep on the substrate, not just rest in the open, but burrow down under the hygro sp tiger (which grows more like a foreground plant than a tall stem for me due to how I planted it) and make a sort of 'cave'/indentation in the sand below it. No little leaf hammock naps for him (not that I'd ever use those plastic things).

Glad I've not had a mean betta like your one gal yet O.o grumpy girl (probably just mad because she wanted some 'looove' that no male could give her.. or she watched shark week and decided to be a great white, and the danios seals CHOMP).
Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 AM   #14
merrycat
Algae Grower

My first ever fish was a veiltail betta from Petsmart named Fred.

He had so much personality! Fred would flare at everything for any reason. Honestly, I think it was just his way of showing that he was excited.

He was also really affectionate and people-oriented. He'd let me pet the top of his head with one finger, just like a tiny blue cat. If I put my cupped hand just under the surface of the water he'd swim into my palm and rest there. I still miss that fish
merrycat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #15
aeroman9000
Algae Grower

Default Work Beta

I was just mentioning how the Beta I have at work loves to greet me! Every time I get to my workbench Master Beta flares up and gets all excited, he has soooo much personality. I never really was a Beta guy, but this one needed a home and I needed a fish to nerd out on at work. Wish I could do a bigger tank here but this little 2 gallon HEX seems to make him happy!
aeroman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.