Nano question!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 08-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
kevinmichael77
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Nano question!

Looking to do a small iwagumi style nano with just rock and Belem and was wondering what to buy. Would like to get something that includes filter and good enough light to grow plants. Won't have co2 but will prolly just look to dose excel and maybe house some crs.

Anyone have some recommendations??

Thanks
Kev
kevinmichael77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #2
kevinmichael77
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Or is there not a system with a string enough light to grow dhg? I suppose people mainly piece systems together.

Kev
Old 08-25-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
kevinmichael77
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:24 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Most of the kits do not include a very good light, you will have to shop locally, see what you can find in the right size and shape.
Yes, most people make a separate list of each component, acceptable makes and models, then shop for each item separately.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

How small is "nano" by your definition? It means different things to different people. Some consider nano to be 1-2 gals max, and the big tank guys think anything under 20 gals is "nano".

I agree with Diana, VERY few kits come with lights that are well-suited to planted tanks, although some do fine for super low tech tanks with specially-selected plants.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
kevinmichael77
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was thinking less than 10 gal. Just to do a a small tank with shrimp or something. Just didn't want to spend a lot on it. Wanted to take my Belem out of my current tank and do an iwagumi.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #7
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd recommend the Spec V with an upgraded light, but any tank is going to have a hard time growing a decent amount of DHG without co2. A full carpet is nearly impossible.

I've had DHG (non-Belem) in my low tech tank for nearly a year, but it hasn't spread at all. Every few months I snip of the top so it doesn't get too long... but it's growing UP (veeeerrrryyy slllloooooowly), not OUT.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 AM   #8
kevinmichael77
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You just upgrade to a finnex light or something? Anyone know how long the canisters for those little fluval co2 systems go for? I don't mind upgrading the light if it's cheap enough, just didn't wdnt to get into adding a big filter and getting carried away. I do have a 2217 sitting around and a 24" 2x24w t5ho simittung around
Old 08-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #9
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmichael77 View Post
You just upgrade to a finnex light or something? Anyone know how long the canisters for those little fluval co2 systems go for? I don't mind upgrading the light if it's cheap enough, just didn't wdnt to get into adding a big filter and getting carried away. I do have a 2217 sitting around and a 24" 2x24w t5ho simittung around
I've heard the Finnex is a common choice, but I haven't looked into the details as my Spec 2 is staying low tech.

I'd avoid the Fluval co2 system with the little 88g canisters. They do work, but everyone I've spoke to (or read from) has panned it. Those canisters start to add up REALLY fast in price, though. (most people get about a month from a canister, some a little more, some a little less) You can get an Aquatek Mini co2 reg (which you can put on a timer... the Fluval system has no powered solenoid so you can't put it on a timer) for $80, add a $20 co2 tank and a $5 nano diffuser (from ebay) and be in business. Tank fills are $5 and will probably last you close to a year in a tank that small. So first year cost is roughly $105, second year cost: $5. Compare to $12/tank/mo = $144 for just the co2 canisters for the Fluval system... per year!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #10
kevinmichael77
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would actually just like to keep it low tech for now. Two high tech tanks is too much with the semester starting up. I just really want a small low maintenance tank so the Belem isn't going to work. I'll have to find another suitable carpet plant that fits into a low tech system

What upgrade did you make in the spec v??

Kev

Thanks so much for the replies btw!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't have a Spec V, I have a Spec 2. The master tank threads cover all three, however, since other than water capacity they're all identical, so I've read a lot about them. (and really wanted a Spec V for the bedroom until the SO overruled me, LOL)

I don't think there are any "real" carpeting plants for low tech. I've read scattered (rare) reports here and there a few have had a little luck with Glosso, if you can get the parameters just right, but it's not easy. Need enough light to encourage growth (too little and it just grows towards the light, straining up instead of out), but not too much so you get algae. Really tough to balance without co2.