First tank, ever!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-14-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
LolSteven

PTrader: (0/0%)

First tank, ever!

Hey everyone, I'd like to start by introducing myself. My name is Steven and I recently took interest in aquascaping and fish tanks, only because my friend started showing me his different type of tanks and I thought they were the most amazing things in the world. So I went ahead and tried to tackle my first tank. I'm new to almost every aspect to the fish world and I would hope I can learn so much more from all you guys. To start off,

Tank size: 24x7x9.5in
Light: Finnex FugeRay
Filter: Finnex PX-360 Compact Canister
Fish: 7 Neon Tetras
Plants: Dwarf Hair Grass, Riccia
CO2: Paintball co2 tank

I'm currently on my second week with this tank so everything is progressing just like it should. I'm starting to see the roots from the hairgrass from under the soil and the Riccia is beginning to "fluff" up. The only thing I really want in the next couple weeks would be shrimp. My main goal would be to have anywhere from 7-10 RCS, but I'm not 100% sure if that's idea with my current plant setup.

LolSteven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
DayOlder
Wounded Warrior

PTrader: (3/100%)

Great looking tank and especially for your first tank. You are off to a great start. IMHO shrimp would do fine in your tank. You didn't state if you use ferts or not and you may have to watch that but with your plants should not be a problem. I have about 30 mixed neos in a non-moss tank with mostly dwarf sag and my shrimp are doing fine. I do have a lot of cholla for them to hide in. You could add a couple of nano moss balls and I think they would look good with your setup and the shrimp would appreciate them.
DayOlder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
schmidty
Algae Grower

Is that the Mr. Aqua 6 gallon long? If so, you have nearly the exact setup I'm considering. Do you like it so far? Does the PX-360 give you too much/too little flow?
schmidty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

That looks great! And I have to say, it was either very brave or very naive of you to do a first tank that appears to be viewable from all four sides! Fantastic.
RWaters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
luky
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

uhmmm....wow ...
luky is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
LolSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOlder View Post
Great looking tank and especially for your first tank. You are off to a great start. IMHO shrimp would do fine in your tank. You didn't state if you use ferts or not and you may have to watch that but with your plants should not be a problem. I have about 30 mixed neos in a non-moss tank with mostly dwarf sag and my shrimp are doing fine. I do have a lot of cholla for them to hide in. You could add a couple of nano moss balls and I think they would look good with your setup and the shrimp would appreciate them.
I was thinking about throwing some moss balls in the corner for the shrimp actually, especially under the rock cause that's the safest place for them to hide. To be honest, I really don't know what kind of soil I used. I believed it was called Fluval Stratum? I don't know what that it... lol.

Quote:
Is that the Mr. Aqua 6 gallon long? If so, you have nearly the exact setup I'm considering. Do you like it so far? Does the PX-360 give you too much/too little flow?
Yes! That is the Mr. Aqua 6/7 gallon tank. And so far I absolutely love this tank. I'm very happy that I chose this setup over anything else. Um, in my opinion, the PX-360 seems like it might be too much flow? Cause at the very moment, my tetras don't like to swim at all and when they do, they kinda get tossed around by the current. According to my friend, it's a great filter and he claims it's supposed to help the co2 get cycled through the entire tank more evenly, but I also feel like my tetras get bullied by the current as well, lol.

Quote:
That looks great! And I have to say, it was either very brave or very naive of you to do a first tank that appears to be viewable from all four sides! Fantastic.
When I first decided to start a tank, the only ideal spot I wanted to put it at was at the counter by my kitchen. So yes, it is practically viewable from multiple angles and I thought it'd be an amazing idea. For example, if I were to just sit and chill at the kitchen table I can see one side, but at the same if I were to be doing dishes, I can also see the other side. That was my goal for my tank and I'm really glad I pretty much achieved it.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Raith
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Welcome to the forums, Steven! Looking great for your fish tank, love the aquascape.
Raith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Katey
Planted Member

That looks lovely!
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
MoldyMayo
Algae Grower

Lookin good man, nice job with the hardscape!

Bump: BTW how long have the tetras been in there?
MoldyMayo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
LolSteven

Thank you, thank you everyone. I've had 2 tetras in there for about four days and the other 5 have been there for three days.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #11
MoldyMayo
Algae Grower

Cool, well hope your shrimp are still able to breed with a high enough survival rate! Either way the shrimps will look cool in there!
MoldyMayo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.