Rena filter owners help needed - how to prime filter w/lily pipes?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 05-28-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
Lisa816
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Rena filter owners help needed - how to prime filter w/lily pipes?

I'm in the process of ordering lily pipes for my XP2, and I remembered the fill cap that's on the intake. You have to pour water into it to fill the tube, and that's what primes the filter. If I change the stock intake to a lily pipe intake, it won't have the fill cap to fill the tube and prime the filter.
Look at Rena's instructional video, 6.26 minutes in - http://www.rena.net/videos/filstar-xp.html to see how it works.

Is it possible to replace the intake with a lily pipe, and if so how do you prime the filter?
Lisa816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 02:38 AM   #2
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

You can just remove the lily pipe and pour water down the hose until it reaches the place where the base of the lily would be, then reinsert the lily. Once it's been primed, you don't have to do it again unless you drain your hoses (one of the reasons I love my XP3's).
theblondskeleton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #3
esworp
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Disconnect the hose assembly from the filter.

With the latch assy over the tank, or the sink, push the little locking tabs on the underside of the latch to free the hinge/valve. Be ready for water to come out in a hurry. :]

Submerge the latch assembly in the water column - either the tank or the sink, and feed the hose into the water at a point higher, so that you're using the water pressure to chase the slug of air out.

When you've gotten the air out, close the hinge on the latch assy, keep the inlet under the water, or at least keep all but a little air out.

With the Inlet and Outlet tubes in place, reconnect the latch to the canister, and you should be good to go.

Love my XP, by the way - 6 years of solid service.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
rickztahone
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
You can just remove the lily pipe and pour water down the hose until it reaches the place where the base of the lily would be, then reinsert the lily. Once it's been primed, you don't have to do it again unless you drain your hoses (one of the reasons I love my XP3's).
+1. That's how I'd do it
Old 05-28-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Lisa816
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Thank you for explaining it like this. Every week, when I rinse the filter media in waterchange water, I always fight with trying to pour water into the hose through that little funnel. I didn't realize that the filter would reprime itself with the water already in the tube because of the quick disconnect valve. After reading your message, I finally understand that I don't need to pour water through the funnel every time I turn the filter off. You have saved me from a future of weekly, messy, unnecessary pouring water into a tiny funnel, with more going on the wall behind the tank than into the tube. And YEAH - the lily pipe intake will work too! Thanks!!!!!
Lisa816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

You're welcome!
theblondskeleton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
jmowbray
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

If you have quick dissconects just start a syhpon and then close the valve. Do the same for the output and fill the canister with water.
jmowbray is offline   Reply With Quote