powerhead in planted tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
mitchellgoosen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

powerhead in planted tank?

I just restarted my 29gallon tank and want to make it moderately planted. So far four anubias nana and 2 swords, forget the variety, but about 14 inches tall right now. The sound of the air stone was driving me nuts and never really liked the look of all the bubbles especially in a planted tank. I went out and bought a powerhead, and went with the one that offered the lowest current of 110 gph. Its blowing the sword plant around alot, not coming uprooted or anything just the leaves are being pushed over. Is this a problem for plants or do u think it should be ok?
mitchellgoosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I think most plants sway or are layed over by currents in streams and rivers and they should be ok. If you want to slow it down a little check your lfs for a thin but semi coarse filter pad and you can try to custom fit a bit to slow the flow, and if need be you can double or even triple the material to slow the head. Another thought would be to rig a light dimmer to slow the power, I've never tried it but it I think you could get it to work. I have good electrical experience but not with DIY makeshift, good luck.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think you'll have a problem at all. If you have to restrict the flow to the powerhead, restrict it on the intake side. Offhand, I don't think powerheads use the sort of AC motor that likes being connected to a light dimmer. I wouldn't take that approach.

I use a powerhead in my tank, and the plans seem to love it, and you get a lot of nice motion.

Last edited by DaveK; 05-27-2011 at 09:24 PM..
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
mitchellgoosen
Algae Grower

ok thanks guys, was just a little nervous when i fired it up and everything started blowing around ha, and after staring at it for a day the gentle movement of the plants is pretty nice.
mitchellgoosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Look in any stream and you'll see your motion is most likely gentle, I often wonder how some of these plants can attach and grow is such a fast current. I didn't know power heads run off of transformers, I've never owned one but have seen other ac product with variable speed.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote