Brown algae help? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 08-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
bsk
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

I quick fix would be to add some nerite snails and a couple of SAE's. They love brown algae

i added 10 Clithon corona's and 1 SAE into my 17 gallon tank they cleared my tank in 1 week.

from my experience brown algae tends to occur with either newly setup tanks or if you have too much light.
bsk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #17
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Just want to jump in late and say I have been dealing with the same algae/diatom problem for over 9 months now. I have 5 nice and plump otos in a 29 gallon and they really make no dent at all. I have considered adding 5 more, but I am going to wait till they go on sale at Petsmart or I come up with a better plan. Like many others, I believe the root cause is high silicates in my tap water and performing a 50% weekly water change that basically resupplies the diatoms. Nerites wont survive in my tank due to an incredibly low GH, so my options are limited. I do have access to RO water at work, but I really don't feel like lugging 10 gallons home every week.
h2oaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I've always heard it has something to do with silicates.
http://www.mbari.org/staff/conn/bota...fer/introc.htm
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #19
JeffHB
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK my unscientific experiment was sorta derailed due to poor water supplied by PetsMart....BTW they have no clue what they are selling so CHECK any RO water at your LFS - good chance it's only part-filtered tap water, full of minerals and silicates. Anyway, I have located a source of GOOD RO water and have been using over the past week or so....no conclusive evidence yet. As this (diatoms) seem to be one of the biggest problems folks are having I will keep posting........it will be a real bummer to find out the only way to a pristine tank is RO Water and mineral supplements for those of us with tap water issues...
JeffHB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
Gafi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was under the impression that brown algae can form from low light conditions?
Gafi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #21
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
OK my unscientific experiment was sorta derailed due to poor water supplied by PetsMart....BTW they have no clue what they are selling so CHECK any RO water at your LFS - good chance it's only part-filtered tap water, full of minerals and silicates. Anyway, I have located a source of GOOD RO water and have been using over the past week or so....no conclusive evidence yet. As this (diatoms) seem to be one of the biggest problems folks are having I will keep posting........it will be a real bummer to find out the only way to a pristine tank is RO Water and mineral supplements for those of us with tap water issues...
That, or move!!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #22
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
I have been battling this algae for months now. I have tried many things. One thing I noticed is that in more shaded areas or areas with higher water flow there was no algae present.

I thought at one point is was my high tech setup and my ferts so I stopped dosing, no change.

I started using.g posguard and it helped a little, as well as directing current on to the plants. Shrimps also eat these guys. But the thing is, is that my tank has been setup for over a year. I use silica sand that's contributing to the silicates and it wont go away.

Its slowly going away with a light adjustment, filter cleaning, flow control, and shrimps.
update now, where there is flow I have no more brown algae. Im happy now. I dont think my phos remover is working any more either cause its been a few months now.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #23
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

If anyone is following this, my brown algae is off of my plants now. Just a little on the back glass. I cut my lighting by 2 hours and only have 1 bulb running instead of all 3 for those 2 hours. Water flow, and now my plants are really starting to grow. I still havent started dosing, dont know if I even want to dose any more.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #24
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Interesting, so you found that you could decrease the amount of diatoms by reducing the lighting intensity. That goes contrary to what I have read in most places (that diatoms thrive in low light), but supports what I have also found in my own tank. At one point I removed 1 of the T5HO bulbs from my fixture, as well as adding a BN pleco, and a week later the diatoms were gone. I can't say for sure what it was, but I had a feeling it was due to the reduced lighting.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #25
JeffHB
Algae Grower

I plan on doing a "Diatom info" post in a week or so based on information I've gathered doing online research and practice....there are a number of misconceptions and mis-information floating around this forum that can be counter productive to getting rid of these pests...hope it helps folks like us out, as diatoms seem to be of little interest to our forum gurus, but are VERY common in our tanks...
JeffHB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #26
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oaggie View Post
Interesting, so you found that you could decrease the amount of diatoms by reducing the lighting intensity. That goes contrary to what I have read in most places (that diatoms thrive in low light), but supports what I have also found in my own tank. At one point I removed 1 of the T5HO bulbs from my fixture, as well as adding a BN pleco, and a week later the diatoms were gone. I can't say for sure what it was, but I had a feeling it was due to the reduced lighting.
I think lighting may have been a part of it. I saw my diatoms dissapearing but still had some residuals in the areas of the tank of less water flow. So I messed with my lighting just a bit more and it went away.

Another reason I thought it was my lighting, was that I saw brown diatoms on the back glass, but only about 3/4 of the glass to the top was covered. The other area was where light didnt really hit. Therefore no diatoms there.

I run 3 t5ho. 1 t5 most of the day, and the other 2 for about 4 hours. A total on time about 9 hours I THINK. I run co2 1 hour before lights turn on, and turn it off 3 hours before the lights shut down.

JeffHB: That would be cool. It was weird that my tank has been established for so long but still have it...go figure silica sand haha. Id look forward to what you find out.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #27
h2oaggie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I plan on doing a "Diatom info" post in a week or so based on information I've gathered doing online research and practice....there are a number of misconceptions and mis-information floating around this forum that can be counter productive to getting rid of these pests...hope it helps folks like us out, as diatoms seem to be of little interest to our forum gurus, but are VERY common in our tanks...
Any progress on this? I would be interested in a remedy other than the addition of more otocinclus.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #28
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oaggie View Post
Any progress on this? I would be interested in a remedy other than the addition of more otocinclus.

How about tiger nerites?
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #29
Lutra
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHB View Post
I plan on doing a "Diatom info" post in a week or so based on information I've gathered doing online research and practice..
Yes, please, I'd like to know what you've learned.
Lutra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #30
StillLearning
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutra View Post
Yes, please, I'd like to know what you've learned.

Guess they learned how to not log back on cause since this post they didnt come back.
StillLearning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.