Driftwood question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 AM   #1
DevonG
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Driftwood question

So, I've been searching for that perfect piece of drift wood for as long as i can remember and today, my search paid off as i pulled this amazing piece of wood out of a local lake which i now plan to put in my planted discus tank. I had great plans for cleaning it hoping to make it perfect when my friend says " so i suppose the wood is boiled-salt bathed- clean in the wild?" which made me think.. why clean the wood? my real question is, in a fishes natural habitat ( in this case my discus) conditions are terrible and dirty lol. so why is it necessary to clean the wood?; other than tannins which i don't mind much anyway. Thanks for any replies, just curious is all.
DevonG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
knm<><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

The real purpose other than tannins, is to kill any unwanted parasites that might do harm in your aquarium. Your discus didn't come from your local lake so you might want to protect them from harm by sterilizing anything you put in their tank.
knm<>< is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
Bettacrazy
Planted Tank Obsessed

it could bring in diseases, parasites, and unwanted hitchhikers. it is always better to be on the safe side, especially with discus considering they are prone to disease
Bettacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
DevonG
Algae Grower

So, I recently heard from a local discus breeder that its generally safe to take wood from local lakes and put it in with discus based on the fact that the water temp (87 degrees) kills off most stuff paired with the fact that I've a UV sterilizer... is this true?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Familiar with the term better safe than sorry??
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
DevonG
Algae Grower

ha, don't be ridiculous, of course I'm taking precautions. I was just curious as to if this was false information.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Cleaning Local Driftwood

Hello Devon. Here's the skinny on finding and using local driftwood: If you live in a dry climate, all you need to do is to get a high pressure nozzle, attach it to a garden hose and spray down the wood. Leave it out in the sun until dry, then into the tank it goes. I live in Colorado and have picked more than my share of driftwood and rocks for my tanks. Believe me, the noon sun around here will kill any bacteria that survives the dry climate around the local rivers.

If you live in a more humid climate, then the wood can potentially have bugs and such on or in it. In this case, just get a large squirt bottle and fill it with organic apple cider vinegar and give the wood a good dose of the vinegar. Then, a good hose down with the pressure nozzle and out in the sun for a few days should take care of anything living in or on the wood.

B
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clean, discus, drift, driftwood, wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.