Maxima's 20L *Pics*
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
maxima308
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Maxima's 20L *Pics*

Hi All!

Thought I would share my 20L with everyone. This is my First planted tank up and running for a month... Suggestions, comments, constructive criticism welcome!

Lighting & other Hardware
15Wx3 clamp on work light light 17" from the substrate.
Blue and White 5mm LED's for accent & moon lighting.

Rena XP1
Victor VTS 250-A regulator
Burkert Solenoid
Swagelok Needle Valve
JBJ Bubble Counter
Cerges' Reactor
Hydor ETH 200w heater

Substrate
MTS (Mineralized Substrate) capped with Flourite Sand

Hardscape
Zebra Rock
Mopani wood

Flora
Rotala wallichii
Pogostemon erectus
Rotala sp. (Mis Rotala still working on their specific ID's)
Staurogyne Tropica 049
Limnophila aromatica
Mayaca fluviatilis
Staurogyne sp. 'Bihar'
Anubias barteri var. nana 'Petite'
Blyxa japonica
Fissidens
Pogostemon stellatus (one stem mixed in with a plant order now up to 2)

Fauna
3 Zebra nerite
4 Bumble bee nerite
10 Amano shrimp

Still undecided for fish. Would like to do a speices of Apistogramma, CPD, Lemon or cardinal tetras...

Dosing EI, 50% WC weekly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20L 4-23-11.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	31067
10mins after planting

Name:	20L 4-27-11.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	31068
About a week latter some growth, re-situated some plants...

Name:	20L 5-2-11.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	31069
Another week... Some good growth Blyxa melted on me. Upon receiving them a lot of the tips were busted and shredded but new growth was present.

Name:	20L 5-13-11.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	31070
BOOM everything just had explosive growth (including the algae) so a gave everything a buzz cut. Replanted some of the clippings, removed the Java fern. Amano and nerites' were added a few days before the pic. Those Amano's made quick work of the hair algae growing with the Fissidens.

Starting to see some BGA, GSA, GDA, and BBA! I started to manually remove the BBA and spot treat with H2O2. Leaving the GDA to run its course(I can always scrap it off if it gets to me). Upped the Co2 and rased the light 3-4". But some cardboard and tape over the BGA along the glass.

Name:	20L 5-21-11.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	31071
Today... One month after being planted! the GDA is really annoying me but i'm holding back in hopes id just falls off soon! The Nerite's seem to be eating some off the glass. The Fissidens really took off probably due to the hair algae being gone? BBA was mostly on the rocks and wood. Gave the rocks through cleaning and spot treated the wood again.

Wish i would have taken some close up but with glass at the moment you wouldn't see much... And my only camera is my phone. Here are some aerials...

Last edited by maxima308; 06-03-2011 at 03:23 AM..
maxima308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
maxima308
Algae Grower

The GDA has really decreased the snails are making short work of it. I hope it's completely gone soon. Not sure who it annoys more me or my girlfriend...

You can see quite a fee pond snails on the glass and I haven't been feeding anything... Hopefully they start to disappear once the GDA is gone or I will need get some sort of snail control.

Plants are growing very well the Staurogyne has really taken off this week.

I wish I could bring out the red in the Limnophila aromatica. Any tips? I've heard starving it of nitrates may help... or the possibility that it's just a more green variety and i'm SOL.

Some of the blyxa is ready to be split there is some side shoots. I was thinking about trying some HC to create a carpet around the blyxa.

Next week I have to bring my girlfriend to have her take her board exam to become a licensed LPN and will be in the neighborhood of some good LFS. It's about an hour and half drive so I figured might as well do something while shes taking her exam Any suggestions for some livestock? I'm really enjoying the plants and shrimp but anytime some comes over it's... "There's no fish in there?" LOL
Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
maxima308
Algae Grower

Default New Livestock!

Added some fish at last... 8 Cardinal tetras, 2 Sterbai cory's, and 2 Apistogramma cacatuoides(1M 1F). Need to get a better camera to get some pics of them. Only now can I understand why everyone says them love corydoras (I've never kept any before).

Going to let these guys/girls get situated and plan on adding 2-3 otto's, 2 more corys, and undecided about adding more cardinals or a different tetra... Would adding 8 Lemon tetras put me over the top on stocking?

On a sad note my nerite snails have past From what I've been reading snail+CO2= certain death! I don't think it has anything to do with my water (RO/DI reconstituted to a GH of 5dh) as I pulled two of the Zebras and placed them in my c. Afra Coube fry tank and they appear to be much happier. Lesson learned will be a while before I try any snails again.

Tank went through some major changes this week. First off I defeated the GDA! It turned brown and most of it disappeared off the glass. I scraped what remained and WOW that algae is tuff! Did a huge trim, traded some stems with another member here awaiting their arrival tomorrow. Trying my hand at some different stems to see what I like and what I can grow. Once I get that figured out I would like to try to form an aquascape vs a bunch of plants crammed into a tank... Also ordered a small amount of HC going to try that around the blyxa.

Love this next pic. It's with my 5mm LEDs on. I used a mix of 10k and royal blue LEDS you can just see the blue streak of the cardinals POP! The picure doesn't do it the justice it deserves I guess one more reason to get a real camera... Camera phones don't take low light pictures! I have a variable work scheduled so by having these LED's I can still view my tank without promoting algae.

Here you can see my homemade light fixture a little better before the tank was planted. Eventually I want to swap the brooder lights with CFL's to CREE LEDs. The 5mm LEDs are attached with an aluminum frame surrounding each brooder lamp. I also wired in a PWM circuit to dim the 10k and royal blue independently to get the look I wanted. At the time funds didn't match my plans for the CREE's so this is a good temp solution and I'm happy with the growth I've achieved.

Feedback welcome!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
maxima308
Algae Grower

Managed to get a few half decent shots of the live stock.... Recently added a few new stems so if you see some ratty ones hanging in the background they just haven't fully adjusted to their new home yet.

There is 8 in there but I swear they only school 6 at time!

Cacatuoides

If this was in focus would have made a nice pic....
Old 07-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #5
maxima308
Algae Grower

Wow amazing what can happen in just a few short weeks...

I did a massive trim right after this pic. I had a second battle with GDA after waiting for 3 weeks and not being able to see into my tank I broke down and added 3 otto's. They reduced the GDA down to a mere few specs on on all four sides in the matter of days! I'm not sure how to rid this stuff for good but if the otto's keep up I will probably just go with a weekly scrape of the front and side panes of glass.

I've just been feeding some tetra mini granules to my fish but I'm not seeing my Apisto eat and getting a little worried about him... Any tips to sneak some food past the Cardinals and to the Apisto? Might try feeding some blood or black worms...

Just got a new phone that has some more advanced camera settings and was able to take a better shot to show the moon lights when taken in "night mode"

Old 07-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
latnem
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

The growth looks good, nice tank.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
TakeTheCann0lis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

That super hot! Can you go into more detail about the fixture you built. That looks like something I'd really want to try to recreate!
TakeTheCann0lis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Taari
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I am really curious about the moonlight LED's. I'd really like to add something like that to my tank, as I never get to see my Vampire shrimp because it only comes out at night. What kind of LED's did you use and how did you hook them up?

Also, the tank looks great!
Taari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
MoeBetta
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I really like what you've done for the lighting. What kind if timers are you utilizing?

Also, just as a reference, what kind of bubbles per second are you running? I'm setting up a very similar system with my first pressurized system and could use a reference point.
MoeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.