Mikey's 75 and 5.5 gallon journal... (56k warning
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-17-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to kineticcomfort
Talking

Mikey's 75 and 5.5 gallon journal... (56k warning

lets start with the 75 gallon

75 gallon tank from That Pet Place

filtration and water movement;

Eheim Ultra G160 canister, 330 gph, Koralia circulation pump 240 gph

CO2;

20lb tank, eletronic regulator, ext5000 reactor all from Aquariumplants.com

Lighting;

4 65w 24" 6700k coralife compact flourescent
2 28w 24" colormax and 10k 14w bulb in each of the lights coralife t-5

substrate;

flourish black 2 bags, eco complete black 2 bags, flourish black sand 3 bags and 1 bag of flourish red on the bottom mixed with a couple crushed bactor balls from ADA

Hardscape;

driftwood is all one piece found by a recently overflowed creek at a budhist monestary, and rocks were all bought from That Pet Place and a cool green color with some white and brown streaking, they do not affect PH

plants;

glossostigma elantoides, riccia fluitans, HC, marsilea crenata, crypt parva, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis, anubias nana, nana petite and barteri, java fern regular and lace, hygrophilia not sure which one as was given to me at club meeting, vesuvius sword, brazilian pennywort, ludwigia repens, rotala rotundifolia, couple types of crypt only one I know for sure is wendtii, cabomba furcata, bacopa, lemon bacopa, lobelia cardinalis, Proserpinaca palustris, christmas and java moss, and some algae : )

fish; 1 Discus 3 torpedo barbs untill they go to a new owner for eating my plants... 11 rummynose 5 cherry barbs 2m,3f, gold ram, longfin blue ram, 3 gold barbs 5 ottocinclus 2 marbled hatchet, 3 killi fish 5-6 nerites and I dont wanna even try to guess how many red cherry shrimp are hiding in there

it has had one major replant, and will show pics of that, was originally sargritta subulata, for the foreground, however the dwarf was not so dwarf and had to be pulled when it started exceding 12"

5.5 gallon;

5.5 gallon tank from That Pet Place

filtration;

Ovation in tank filter with spray bar, possibly converting to mini canister like Toms Rapids ect...

CO2;

fluval 88g disposable cartidge pressurized setup with aquamedic ventil M solenoid to make it automated

Lighting;

2 coralife 18w 6700k compact flourscent put from front to back instead of side to side as they are the exat front to back length of tank, with one crappy for now better soon DIY 20w coralife colormax compact flourescent bulb and foil lined box reflector

Substrate;

fluval black, 2/3 of a bag puttin in bacter ball soon as just let intial cycle go through and waiting to stock fish for now so I can juice the co2 really high

Hardscape;

rocks found at Bloom beach, Bloomsburg PA

roots used for DW found in field behind back yard and at my buddy Micahs house...

Plants;

crypt parva, HC, Glosso, Riccia, java fern lace and reg, christmas moss, marsilea crenata, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis

fish; one otto and put in a couple of the snails you get in with plants, I know most people dont want em in their tank but they are helping with the fungus that was growing on wood

Plants on order that will be going into both tanks..

1 x Didiplis Diandra
2 x Stargrass (Heteranthera Zosterfolia)
3 x Ludwigia Cuba ( Ludwigia Inclinata Var. Verticillata Cuba)
3 x Rotala Najenshan
10 x Echinodorus Tenellus (Narrow Leaf Chain Sword)
2 x Dwarf Hairgrass Pot (Eleocharis Parvula)
4 x Baby Tears Pot ( Hemianthus Micranthemum )

and a big auction is this weekend so we will see where that goes...

here are the pics
75 gal hardscape

5.5 gallon hardscape

75 originally planted full right before replant, took out dwarf sub and big swords

currently

filtration and CO2

lights

5.5 gallon original plant and hardscape

new scape and added some plants

lights

CO2

hope u enjoy these, soon they will not be able to fit another plant in em lol... but always a work in progress...
kineticcomfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

very lush and looks like a lot of fun! I like the 75. The only thing I am never a fan of is the thin straight "sticks". That is some light setup on there too.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

dw is all one piece and its like it was made for the tank fits pefectly side to side and sticks out and inch or so in 3 places out of water so I can get plants to grow on it emersed if I hang lights above... the base also has a ton of small pieces sticking of it I went crazy with anubias and ferns on it... only the 2 pieces in the center are straight the rest have a nice curve to them, hard to tell from pics I guess...

also when puttin tank together I did DIY co2 for the first 5 mo, cause my budget was completely blown on tank and substrate and filter, got a super deal on the rocks, but there isnt a FS within 2 hours that carry anything other than mopani, that stuff sucks, and mother nature gave me this piece for FREE! : )

since your from jersey do you know of any places that sell good looking DW, I do not like thick stuff, just alotta braches, branchwood from ADA is my fav! also being a newb to the hobbie with less than 2 years since my first fish tank and only a little over a year now bout 15 mo since i bought my first plant I am still learning, maybe I can come to one of the NJAGC meetings and hear from some people with experience : )....
Old 05-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

I buy my driftwood from the vendors on here. Better quality, better selection and even with the shipping is still cheaper than any LFS around me.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

I just have issues with buying stuff I cannot touch-see even if there are pics...

something I may have to get over some day, however I plan on moving back to the west coast sometime within the next coupla years and then I will just be able to swing in san fran and grab some awesome pieces!

I really need to get a Northeat PA club going as there are non around here : (...... at least next week I get to make my 2 hour voyage to ACLC meeting at That Pet Place.. I would go down anyway just for the store and the 35,000 gallons of fish they have for sale.. but being able to swap some plants and learn some knowledge is even better!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

here is video of my killi fish havin some fun..... : )..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivezJMN3rA

please excuse the dirty glass... I'm wainting on 2 pretty good sized plant orders to do a rescape of everything but stuff tied to DW and forground...

just have been neglecting tank since I ripped out a myrio bush in the back and my midground on the left, was trying to get out a ram who was hiding like a ninja....
Old 05-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

in Lancaster PA, meeting today, picked up 3 pots of HC and 4 bunches of elocharis aciculas, spelled wrong but the hairgrass that gets bigger than the dwarf but not huge... and come crypt lutea, have auction to go to tomorrow also have 2 plant orders comin in next week.. dont know where theyll all go but I'm sure I'll find a place

also got the 501 turtle canister filter for the 5.5 and a bunch of new rocks to go in 75...
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 AM   #8
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

updates, planted 5.5 gallon heavy and started to redo 75, member on here is sending me a plant order that I am planning on finishing it up with...

a bunch of species went in 5.5, dwarf hairgrass, reg hairgrass tha getts about 2 times as tall as the dwarf, but not the huge stiff HG that grows out of aquarium... rotala nanejasha, I know some of these are spelled wrong, diapodila d... stargrass, dwarf baby tears, baby tears HC and HM.., more crypt parva, and lobelia cardinalis...

in 75 I added some rocks, took out some forground that has had me fightin algae for a while and added some new HC, HM, e. tenellus. e vesuvius. ludwigia inclanta sp "cuba", stargrass, nanejasha, diapolis di... and some more crypt parva... got a bunch of em for a buck a pot...

here are some before and after pics..

semi before, planted the taller of the HG...

TA-DA.....

75 gallon after I pulled some of the foreground and added some rocks..

75 after I planted some, still lots to go, and also the HG is only temp...

Old 05-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

here is short video of nano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzl9beylQTk

put my hand on the glass towards end to show my buddy a size comparison..

Last edited by kineticcomfort; 05-31-2011 at 07:02 AM..
Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 AM   #10
Tmos540
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineticcomfort View Post
here is video of my killi fish havin some fun..... : )..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivezJMN3rA

please excuse the dirty glass... I'm wainting on 2 pretty good sized plant orders to do a rescape of everything but stuff tied to DW and forground...

just have been neglecting tank since I ripped out a myrio bush in the back and my midground on the left, was trying to get out a ram who was hiding like a ninja....
I love the video, the killifish is so bouncy and fun. The camera moves away for a moment, and boom the killifish appears in the frame for a second or two. It is really quite funny, if I ever get around to doing the uber-planted aquarium I want to do once the cichlid tank I am planning out is done, I plan on three kinds of fish: rainbows, tetras, and killifish, not really attached to any one specific kind beyond those three. Maybe some shrimp too...
Tmos540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmos540 View Post
I love the video, the killifish is so bouncy and fun. The camera moves away for a moment, and boom the killifish appears in the frame for a second or two.
The killis were givin to me by a buddy, I am going to try to get some fry out of em soon, I am working on gettin a bunch of live food cultures setup...
They are a really cool fish, they like to come right up to the glass and check you out... alotta personality..

I love the fish in there and how it changes when I add or get rid of certain species...

gonna try to get some fry out of the killi soon, just gettin live food cultures setup now.. maybe I can send you some in a couple months since you said you plan on having killis in your tank..

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ml#post1391256
Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #12
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

here is 75, e tennelus changed over well had some just topped and replanted a bunch of stems in the back, added some of the rotala and myrio clippings back into their bushes to get em thicker, the marsilea is dong well in its new home and sending out lotts of new growth all is doing well, made and adjustment on co2 reactor and it seems to be puttin out more, also I started dosing an extra 20% on what I was using except for excell as I was already doing a little heavier than recommended

here is nano, I had extra lights on it as I could not get the glosso to grown sidewas on vertical, this did not resolve glosso issue but it did cause some algae, lights have been readjusted to orginial wattage and co2 has been bumped up, I am going to see msjinkzed tomorrow and see her tank room! get some males for the female clown killis, maybe a cardina japonica to throw in too to help out with algae.. or one of the horned nerites..

here are current pics of nano

and here is my fry tank with 13 auloncara stuartgranti, right now they are being fed a mixture of micro worm and bbs both live, but I am working on switching them over to frozen brine and high quality pellet

Old 06-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #13
TwoStrokeKing
Planted Member

Nice tanks! whats with the writing on the walls tho? lol

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
TwoStrokeKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:47 AM   #14
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

I like quotes and writings from random things, the big writing up on the wall on the right of the tank is Hunter S Thompson's first ever public piece sent to a newspaper under the name John J Ritcheous Hipocrit speaking to the youth of america.. the one in the middle is a combination of Cut Chemist, something from a Guy Ritchie movie and a quote from myself....

random quotes are all over the walls in this room only.. I used to live in a 9 bedroom huge place with a bunch of friends and we did large murals and random stuff such as quotes everywhere, I loved it! I havent been into painting for a while so I just have the quotes and artwork all over the walls, however as the taniks got put up the art that was hung behind and around it was moved...

alot of the quotes are from Chuck Palaniuk as I realy enjoy his books and his perspective on life, at least his earlier books, the last one I couldnt even get through....

Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #15
kineticcomfort
Algae Grower

here are my two little driftwood tops with emersed growth, they were just floaters in my tank and attached to the driftwood...

they have glosso riccia moss and duckweed attached...