Vinlo's 30g (56k) - Updated
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-23-2003, 05:16 PM   #1
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well.. here it is.. my 30g. The aquascape needs quite a bit of work. I have been mainly focusing on getting the plants happy and growing. Yes, I will be ditching the UGF, I have some flourite on it's way. I'll take some photos after I get rid of the UGF. Oh.. and does anyone know what the plant is front-center? I'm guessing it is some type of crypt.
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2003, 06:43 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very nice looking tank Vinlo...

Removing the UGF is no task I am envious of, I had to do that in a 30 gallon tank as well but in the end its the best decision I ever made

Oh yeh... and your plant is indeed a crypt, my favorite of the crypts, its a Cryptocoryne balansae

Good luck with your project, its a shame to have to break down such a nice tank but its for the greater good !

Buck 8)
Old 04-23-2003, 08:03 PM   #3
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Buck, did you lose any fish in when you removed the UGF? I am very leery about this task.. but it has to be done. While I have you attention.. any tips? Or should I just get a couple buckets and some sort of plastic shovel and start scooping?
Old 04-23-2003, 08:51 PM   #4
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

You have to completely dismantle your tank to get that plate out safely I hope you realize.... when I did mine , the roots were tangled in the plate gaps and it had trapped a lot of fish mulm under the plate....if your tank has been established a long time you will be surprised at what you find under that plate. :shock: That sewerage under the plate is why you need to remove all the fish and plan on keeping them in a temporary tank for a couple of days or so.
I had setup a "holding tank" with just water , about 5lbs of the old gravel(for bacteria) , all the uprooted plants and the fish with some "ripe" filters on it. I never lost a fish surprisingly but did lose a couple plants(my fault)

Heres how i did it...
I set a tank on the floor right next to the 30 gallon I was changing...then drained 75% of the water in from the established tank (dont forget the heater), then removed all the fish, then pulled the plants (shake out roots in old tank) and set them in the temp tank as well as any nice bacteria coated pieces of rock. Throw in maybe 5lbs of your established gravel in too(again , shake out the mulm in old tank as well) before adding to temp tank. Then just add some fresh water to top off the temp tank.....

You are now ready to get rockin~N~rollin on your new substrate !

If you dont have another tank to use during this process I would say you better be ready for a fish loss, its a very messy job and you are upsetting all kinds of toxic waste under those plates.
My plants had plugged 75% of the plate so the water was not flowing and the water was stagnating (sewerage smell) :shock:

If this tank has not been setup long you may be OK, Is this tank on a stand that you can you see the tank bottom ?
If you can see it then that will save you from any surprises, if you cannot see the tank bottom then you are takin a huge chance...
I would HIGHLY suggest getting another tank of at least 30 gallons to use.

Once you get the new tank drained and setup with new substrate, just load it right back up with your plants, stone, and the "ripe" filters you have maintained and you will be good to go.

This page is from when I did my 30 gallon UGF removal...
http://www.buckmanshome.com/reconstruction.html

Like I said man.. I dont envy your task...its a lotta work in a short time but it has to be done... UGF's are timebombs in a planted aquarium bro...

Good Luck ...

Buck 8)
Old 04-23-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

WHat the hell did I get myself into? :lol: Ahh.. just kidding. I'll let you know how it turns out. Plus side is the aquarium has only been up for a few months with a pretty minimal fish load.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:20 PM   #6
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Then you should be OK
The hard part will be getting the plate out, if its only been a few months then it shouldnt be bad. Just give it a good vaccum and remove the gravel slowly and you wont make much of a mess of the water. You should only really have to take out 2/3 of the gravel to get the plate out lengthwise, just pull the remaining third of the gravel to one end of the plate and slide the plate out from under it...then you can just mix the flourite to the remaining gravel, that would leave you some bacteria loaded gravel to help re-establish the tank.
There shouldnt be any buildup to harm fish, just take care not to stir it up too bad... aint easy though.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:16 AM   #7
cousin it
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to cousin it

very nice tank
If that was my tank I'd leave it exactly as it is as it looks wonderful and natural as it is.
cousin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 06:40 PM   #8
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well.. here are two pics of the tank. One the day after I took out the UGF and replanted. And one taken today.. two weeks after the removal/replant. I guess the plants are growing. I feel a sense of accomplishment. Now to work on the design of the thing. Any input would be much appreciated. The space in the middle to right hand side will eventually be filled in with glosso/riccia/lileopsis/hairgrass.. whatever grows the quickest in my tank.. seems like glosso so far, it will rise up to the left side between the rotala and the hygro. poly. (stuff grows way to fast), I need something on the right side though.. I am hoping the bacopa will fill in sometime.. we'll see. I tested everything today and am debating if I should start to does N & P.. seems like I might screw things up. Oh yeah.. I am in desperate need of more fish.. neons or rasboras I think.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:50 AM   #9
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Very nice job on the removal of the UGF... over the long haul it was the best decision. Your plants look very happy and healthy and I hope your fish are still the same way.
Thats quite a job removing that aint it? :lol:

Good looking tank Vinlo