165 Impulse Build (56k) --- New FTS post #208 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #31
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

Got the panels all routered, sanded and prepped for magnets. I'm a few short and I need to paint before I install them. I rounded the edges along the top and ends and added grips to help remove the panels. The magnets are pretty strong. The end panel barely stays up but it only wants to slide down, not pull off. The other four have twice the magnets should they should float well. I meant for them to sit on the floor so either way it doesn't matter.

I have to spray them with sealer and then I have gloss white paint to finish it. Hopefully I will get a mirror like finish that is like glass when I'm done. I'm using oil based paint so everything should be waterproof.

jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #32
mot
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

This is awesome. I love these large scale diy projects and cant wait to see how this turns out. Have you considered adding more power outlets!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #33
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Well I deleted a bunch because I also have an Aqua Junior
Controller with a dc8 and another controller with a dc4.

This gives me two outlets on a switch, six on another, 12 always on, two gfci protected always on and up to 12 controlled outlets. I think I'll have enough times three.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #34
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Old 04-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #35
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Old 04-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #36
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Does this pile of rock look natural? Just practising with 40 pounds. Have another 100 in the mail.

\

Also have 130 pounds of Ohko to play with. It's difficult for me to use though. I'm looking for rocks I can pile and Ohko is hard to stack naturally. It's better for Iwagumi layouts, IMO.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #37
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

That looks awesome!
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #38
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

great rocks
lots of options there to play around
keep the update please!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #39
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Oh, my, what do we have here?

Drum roll please!

Ta-da!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #40
Eben
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tank looks great and so do the rocks!
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #41
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Wow, my dream tank. Coast to coast overflow, Beananimal drains, eurobraced, size - just perfect. Love both sets of rock too.

That is a lot of holes. What are the ones in the side and bottom of the tank used for?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #42
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Wow, my dream tank. Coast to coast overflow, Beananimal drains, eurobraced, size - just perfect. Love both sets of rock too.

That is a lot of holes. What are the ones in the side and bottom of the tank used for?
You and I share the same dream then! I only went with the peninsula style overflow because the tank was used and I didn't want to change it too much. If you look back in the thread you can see the original, huge internal overflow.

Eventually I want a nice big tank with a full coast to coast. I'm actually having a ~45 gallon tank built with the pane I chipped that will have a coast to coast, but it will still have an inch or so on each end with an external box. I'm just going to bring the return through the box on that one.

Whenever I build a new big tank I will bump up the height to 24" again, but even at 6'3" my tank at 22" tall and eurobrace is hard to reach into when it's on the stand. I'll keep the euro as a splash guard but I'll build the tank an extra 4" in depth and install a false back that is cut shorter to form the coast to coast. You just have to plan for that style so you can fabricate a proper stand and such. For my simple setups I prefer to just do a 95% length coast to coast. They are easier to make work because you just pull the stand out from the wall a bit.

About all the holes everywhere, as you could tell, Kathy, the overflow has three 1" for drains, Beananimal style. The builder was pushing 1.5" holes but the box would have to be pretty big for that, even being cnc'd. I figure at full syphon the 1" can easily handle 1500 gph or more so even if I switched to salt (fat chance) I would have enough drain to handle the flow. Since I will only have 800 gph max I should be fine. I'm more worried about the size of the notch but I'll have to test it to see how everything works.

The three holes on the bottom in front of the overflow are the old drains. The two 1.5" are being capped with bulkheads as a glass patch is almost impossible to remove later. The old 1" return is my closed loop drain and the two 3/4" holes scattered are the CL returns. If the 1" CL drain sucks too hard I'll split it to two screeners or use one of the 1.5" holes instead. The 1.5" screeners are just gigantic.

I tried to place the 3/4" CL returns in places that are good for many layouts but who knows. While I was thinking about it I ran through a bunch of layout patterns and eventually just picked two spots. I tried to keep in mind that the tank is designed to stick out from a wall, viewable from three sides. Even though I'm placing it in the corner I have made all the cabinetry so I can make it a peninsula later.

About the rocks, the Ohko are just too textured for my layout skills so I ordered another 100 pounds of Seiryu from PC1. I figure 140 pounds total is enough to do what I am trying to accomplish.

Now I just have to wait two weeks for the silicone to fully cure.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #43
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

you can send me some Ohko!
orchidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #44
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

I thought about selling it off in packages but the shipping from Canada to the US sucks. It would probably be $40 to ship 20 pounds in a flat rate box.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #45
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Thanks for the explanation. CO2 on a closed loop sounds like a great idea.

I like the idea of the peninsula overflow, actually moved my HOB oveflow to the right hand side of the 100 gallon tank after I took my black background off. Then no equipment showed on the face of the tank save for the small skimmer box which your external overflow doesn't even have!!!

My daughter was wondering how you are keeping critters out of the sump.

Hope your rocks come soon so you can plan something amazing to put in the tank to go with that terrific wood.