165 Impulse Build (56k) --- New FTS post #208 - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #166
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
Thanks. Not bad for a single trip eh? I want to get a bit of a farm tank going so I can supply Canadians with some cool plants from this board. The Canadian SnS is dry, so I'm hoping to change that. None of these plants are exactly rare. I suppose uncommon in Canada, but in the USA these are all standards as far as I can tell.

Everything is just chucked into the tank wherever at the moment. I need to grow some things out to see how they look and react in my water. Vancouver water is like So.Cal water. Pretty much RO from the tap. My gh is off the charts so some plants don't like it too much. My kh is around 4.5 degrees which isn't terrible though, so I've been having pretty good luck.
good on ya....agreed, our canadian sns could def use some action from all us up north....eh?

ive heard the alberta/calgary water is fairly hard, but im sure you will make the new plants thrive. i should take a pic of my current water source. theyre telling people not to even swim in it right now

hows the c. nurii you have btw? looking forward to your next fts....cheers
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #167
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd

Quote:
Originally Posted by daworldisblack View Post
Sketch! I think I know some places where you can get a few of these:

Ludwigia INCLINATA VAR. VERTICILLATA 'PANTANAL' : A guy in Ottawa has the VAR. Verticillata but not sure if its 'Pantanal'

ERIOCAULON SETACEUM: I know a guy in Ottawa who has this and may ship it. He also has Tonina Belem.

Tonina lotus blossom: I've seen this in the Toronot Aquarium circles.. GTA Aquariua forum should have some for sale. AKA Tonina fluviatilis.

LUDWIGIA SP. 'RUBIN': I know a guy in Ottawa who has this as well. Not sure if he ships but the Ottawa planted community is pretty tight. Maybe if the other guy ships, this could be included there too.

Local is the way to do for plants. Hard to get 'em in across the border in general. Can't wait to see trimmings on your end and maybe I could get my hands on some of the good stuff you have!
Oh sweet. If you could give me some names I'll shoot them pm's. I'm not much for sitting and hoping to find a for sale thread. I prefer to look more actively. I'm on GTAAquaria as well... Same username.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmon View Post
good on ya....agreed, our canadian sns could def use some action from all us up north....eh?

ive heard the alberta/calgary water is fairly hard, but im sure you will make the new plants thrive. i should take a pic of my current water source. theyre telling people not to even swim in it right now

hows the c. nurii you have btw? looking forward to your next fts....cheers

Yeah, the Gh is way up there so no Gh booster for me. The nurii is doing okay. Melted away completely but it has about two new leaves coming out. My next FTS will be on Sunday. I was away last week so this will be a two week update. It'll give the new plants a chance to straighten up.

I also ordered 100 doses of erythromycin do get rid of this BGA. It's growth is pretty slow and it's only appearing near the surface and on a few fine plants so I think I've fixed the root problem. It was only $40 shipped so no biggie.

I also added a 300 micron filter sock, but it's too fine and clogs with the aquasoil dust. Gonna swap it for a 100 or 200. I'm more using it for plant matter than dirt. Also got some plastic foam filter media to act as mech and baffles and a bunch of proper bio media to swap for the bulk and buoyant bio balls.
jcgd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #168
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Just ordered 12 XML warm whites to swap in for some of the cool whites. Also got 12 xpg blue to swap for some of the neutral whites if it becomes too yellow. My plants aren't showing many reds and I think it's because the fixture is so blue dominant. Looking at the spectral graphs I'm pretty much missing the spike in the red.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #169
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

So the Phosban Reactor was maxing out before I could get the co2 at a level I wanted. I discovered today that my ph probe is shot so my measurements were all off. I should have calibrated and double checked it, but haven't had time yet.

Anyway, it looks like I previously had a ph drop of around 1.3 feed directly to my return pump, and the Phosban Reactor got me a drop of about 1.0. So technically it might suffice, but I want more.

I then took the 1250 pump that was feeding the reactor and cut slits in the impeller to make it more like a needle wheel. Learned this trick from Tom Barr.

Now that I have double check my ph it would appear I'm able to get the ph down about 1.2 no problem with the modded impeller. Same deal as when I went straight to the return pump, but with less wasted co2. I'd guess the bubble rate is down about 30% from before, just by the looks of it.

I order a 20 clear whole house filter housing from Evilbay so I will have 3/4" in/out instead of the 3/8" I had with the other reactor. I'll likely use that to get rid of the micro bubbles. I much prefer the clear look.

I'm also going to get a new ph probe and see if I can get a better estimate of my co2. I appears I may be getting much closer than 50 or 60ppm than I previously thought.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #170
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Good Morning...

Feeding Frenzy Video

Last edited by jcgd; 07-09-2012 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: Added Video
Old 07-09-2012, 02:40 AM   #171
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

Your tank is looking very good. I have to ask though, what are you trying to accomplish by running the co2 through the phosban reactor? Is it to try to keep the micro bubbles from entering your tank? I posted a thread asking about running a needle wheel pump through a reactor and was wondering if it would keep the micro bubbles out of the tank or not. I'm curious to see how this works for you as it is the same line of thinking I was going for with the needle wheel feeding through a reactor. I want to keep the micro bubbles out of the tank as I prefer my tank to look like water and not seltzer water. Keep posting your experience with this as it will be useful to others. I have yet to order a new pump for my wet/dry that I'm going to put back on my tank and really want to try the needle wheel method but not if it means my tank will always have bubbles floating around. I have pretty good diffusion right now using the reactor but it gets annoying having to remove the false gas off everyday. I have tried several different pumps rated at different flow rates and no matter which pump I use I get this gas at the top of the reactor. I don't know if this false gas is a combination of O2 buildup along with other impurities in your CO2 tank that build up in your reactor or what. I read an old thread on here some time back that was talking about the solubility of CO2 that was a very good read. Keep up the good work and keep posting up those nice pics.

Edit: Here is the link to that thread.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21776
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden

Last edited by ua hua; 07-09-2012 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: adding link
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #172
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

I red most of that thread, skipped some bantering and such. But I think that while even though the original experiment was too uncontrolled, I agree with the idea that the bubble may not be co2. I hadn't considered this and was always under the impression that co2 becomes harder to dissolve. It makes perfect sense that it would get harder, but if the saturation point is >1000ppm I can't see the difference between 3ppm and 30 ppm to be that drastic. If we were nearing the saturation point than sure, but we aren't touching it.

You've gotten me thinking that my reactor setup was just fine, if I can prove that the gas in the reactor isn't co2. I think I'll try two little experiments.

First, start the reactor up on my tank in the morning when it's ph is highest. I get good circulation and air mixing so it should be a good reference for 2-3ppm. Fill co2 reactor with, say 30 bubbles of co2. Start reactor and time when the bubble dissolves. Then I'll wait till my ph in my tank has dropped 1.0 with a second diffusion method, and repeat the experiement with the same number of bubbles, reactor, etc. If it takes longer I can assume (for my purposes) that the diffusion was more difficult.

I can also take two water samples, one of 3ppm co2 water, and one of 30 (or so) ppm tank water and submerge a test tube in each. Invert the tubs and let one bubble of co2 into each tube. I would use the same reg setup, needle valve, etc. for each bubble hoping for consistency. Then I would cap the vials under water, taking a set amount of time to cap the vial and begin to shake it. Time how long the bubble takes to dissolve in each.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #173
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

That thread was definitely an interesting read while I agree about the intial experiment not being too controlled the part that interests me is the talk about the false gas building up in reactors. The false gas in mine has to be bled off every afternoon after the lights have been on for awhile. My plants are growing good and by late afternoon the tank is pearling like crazy so that leads me to believe that since all that O2 is being put off by the plants that this O2 is being picked up by the pumps/filters thus creating the gas pocket in the top off the reactor. This is just a hunch as to what the false gas actually is in the reactor. Many have told me to use a stronger pump but as I have said I have used several different pumps even some that I had to throttle back to keep the water flow from just blowing through the reactor and it still had the gas pocket.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #174
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

I think I beat the BGA. The erythromycin is sill en route, but I might not need them. I notices most of the large sheets of BGA were gone yesterday. Still a bit here and there, but nothing bad enough to remove manually.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #175
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

It kinda makes sense. I would like to just get the gas tested, but I don't know how you'd get that done.

If it's just 02 build, or anything else, I would just use another solenoid to purge it for me. I have a bunch around, and I could just rig it up to the bleed valve so I don't have to do it. I'm trying to keep this tank mostly automated (it is so far) so I don't want to have to bleed the reactor. I only want it to prevent the micro bubbles, not other reason.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:46 AM   #176
Lurch98
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)

Are you that worried about the gas in the reactor? I use a 20 home filter, and I get a little gas build up during the day. I agree with the poster in your referenced thread, probably some inert component like nitrogen. O2 would disolve in roughly the same manner as CO2 in water.

My thought being, the gas never builds up enough to do more than make a trickling noise in my reactor, and is gone by the morning, so outside of intellectual curiosity, it's a non factor to me.
Lurch98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #177
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch98 View Post
Are you that worried about the gas in the reactor? I use a 20 home filter, and I get a little gas build up during the day. I agree with the poster in your referenced thread, probably some inert component like nitrogen. O2 would disolve in roughly the same manner as CO2 in water.

My thought being, the gas never builds up enough to do more than make a trickling noise in my reactor, and is gone by the morning, so outside of intellectual curiosity, it's a non factor to me.
If it is gone by morning, I will not worry about it. But O2 does not dissolve and nearly the same rate an ease as co2. I don't know how long it does take, but it's not quick. Overnight may be enough time to dissipate whatever it is so if that works it may not be an issue.

See, I was understanding it was co2, so I assumed if it was building up I had reacted capacity for that reactor, but if it's not co2 (which I'm not sure of yet, but it seems to make sense) then I'm good to go.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #178
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
If it is gone by morning, I will not worry about it. But O2 does not dissolve and nearly the same rate an ease as co2. I don't know how long it does take, but it's not quick. Overnight may be enough time to dissipate whatever it is so if that works it may not be an issue.

See, I was understanding it was co2, so I assumed if it was building up I had reacted capacity for that reactor, but if it's not co2 (which I'm not sure of yet, but it seems to make sense) then I'm good to go.
Do you run your CO2 24hrs? I have mine on 24hrs. and by morning there is less of a gas pocket but it's still there. I bled mine off in the morining and by 4 or 5 o'clock it's back again. I really like your idea of using a solenoid to automatically bleed off this gas and I may have to try this out as it's almost clockwork as to when the gas pocket needs to be bled out.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #179
jcgd
Wannabe Guru

No, I was running the reactor 24 hours but the co2 runs with my lights. So that bubble will dissolve if you kill the co2? Or do you have to bleed it regardless?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #180
Lurch98
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)

I run my CO2 with the lights, and the excess gas is gone by morning for me. YMMV
Lurch98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.